Wi-Fi Solution For Shared Internet

Particularly for six months. Worth the investment, I’d think. A portable wifi hot is another option. I used this successfully in Madrid for several months, for work and streaming. Don’t know if this is an option in CABA.
I have no problem getting it and will if I can. My question is related to if the owner tells me I cannot, what options are available. I am looking into portable wifi hotspots through 4G but too am not sure how or if that works here.

Thanks for the input.

To clarify, yes I am willing to pay and basically have my own internet connection in this apartment. The shared internet in the building is corporate with Fibercorp, I don't know the details other than the lady owns the whole building and all the apartments. It's not good enough for me so I want to pay to have an extra personal internet connection (my own) seperately. I, of course, would be paying for this myself because it is my service.

I am not sure if she will be willing to do it because I don't know if setting up that service would require any work such as drilling, holes in walls etc. If it would not then I think she may allow it, or I may be tempted just to go ahead and get it anyway. I mean, there is nowhere in the contract that says I cannot get additional internet.

I also think she in no way would share the costs. If she wanted better internet she would alreaday have it, I guess.
Semi,

Good for you! You have the exact point of view you need in your situation.

Get the service. USE IT, improve the quality of your life. The alternative is to accept what is provided in your rent and suffer for 6 months of your life!

I have no problem getting it and will if I can. My question is related to if the owner tells me I cannot, what options are available. I am looking into portable wifi hotspots through 4G but too am not sure how or if that works here.
Well as you stated in your earlier post: Check your contract, if it isn't prohibited, then would should assume it is permitted.

BTW >>> Getting internet service installed is not unusual, including what needs to be done for a proper installation. Of course it is better to check before acting, but I am guessing there is no such restriction in your contract. For if there was, it would be unusual and I would be amazed.

Portable hotspots are becoming things of past. Simply because you can get the same thing with your smartphone (called tethering, wifi hotspot etc). If you already have unlocked 4G hotspot device, it's just a matter of buying a sim card and inseringt it. If not and you want a dedicated device just use an old smartphone. There is no longer any special plan for the hotspot device. Indeed, I can get better speed with 4G with my phone than with the Fibertel cable internet

So, have you run Speedtest at your appartment?
Just to have a ballpark idea of what kind of service you are getting and if it is realisticly related to the kind of service billed by FiberCorp.
Are you familiar by the building's internet bandwith distribution?
Maybe you are being throttled down and the local router (if there's one) could be adjusted in your favor.

Have you tried login in into the router. Check the gateway ip and then use a browser to give it a shot.

If the building has FiberCorp it is unlikely that another ISP will be allowed BUT maybe your personal Fibertel conection can be sprung from that one.

Just saying.

Iz

So, have you run Speedtest at your appartment?
Just to have a ballpark idea of what kind of service you are getting and if it is realisticly related to the kind of service billed by FiberCorp.
Are you familiar by the building's internet bandwith distribution?
Maybe you are being throttled down and the local router (if there's one) could be adjusted in your favor.

Have you tried login in into the router. Check the gateway ip and then use a browser to give it a shot.

If the building has FiberCorp it is unlikely that another ISP will be allowed BUT maybe your personal Fibertel conection can be sprung from that one.

Just saying.

Iz
Thanks for the reply.

I run the speed test last night and then again this morning:

Last night - Ping: 5, Download: 25Mbps, Upload: 3.2 Mbps
This morning - Ping 9, Download: 33.72Mbps, Upload 4.65Mbps

I don't have much knowledge of these things to know if that's good or bad. As I noted, the problems with the internet includes it being good for sometime and then just dropping in quality or disconnecting entirely for a few mins.

it's not terrible, but if all your neighbors want to watch netflix too on friday night then you are probably going to suffer.

Portable hotspots are becoming things of past. Simply because you can get the same thing with your smartphone (called tethering, wifi hotspot etc). If you already have unlocked 4G hotspot device, it's just a matter of buying a sim card and inseringt it. If not and you want a dedicated device just use an old smartphone. There is no longer any special plan for the hotspot device. Indeed, I can get better speed with 4G with my phone than with the Fibertel cable internet
I have to disagree with some of this:

1. if you're tethering, you and your phone may not be in the right place for best reception. Also, if you're using WiFi, a dedicated hotspot is likely to have better WiFi (more antennas, higher power, etc) than your phone.
2. If you do use a smartphone, don't use an old one, as it won't support the latest technologies to improve download speeds, which are 4x4 MIMO (having 4 receive antennas, Samsung introduced this in some S8 models in 2017, no older smartphone has this), carrier aggregation to combine different bands, and higher modulation order (256 QAM).

And again, Speedtest is not a real-world test anymore, because the operators install the servers in the mobile network, not in the internet. That said, 5Mbps is fine for Netflix (check here: http://www.lighterra.com/papers/videoencodingh264/)

Thanks for the reply.

I run the speed test last night and then again this morning:

Last night - Ping: 5, Download: 25Mbps, Upload: 3.2 Mbps
This morning - Ping 9, Download: 33.72Mbps, Upload 4.65Mbps

I don't have much knowledge of these things to know if that's good or bad. As I noted, the problems with the internet includes it being good for sometime and then just dropping in quality or disconnecting entirely for a few mins.

I just did a speedtest on ours. I've no idea what it means either but just for comparison sake.

Ping 36 Download 52.43 Upload 6.61

Back