Wife really wants to go back to Argentina with kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no DNI. Wife is not a us citizen. Child is US and Argentinian citizen. I have no DNI un Argentina. We were in Lima on vacation when Peru suddenly shut everything down.

And your wife does not have a Green Card? So returning to the US is not an option? Do I understand that you cannot return to Argentina because flights are only for stranded Argentina citizens? If this is all true, you will have to wait until normal flights resume. I don't think it will be years but I think it could be a few months. If you can get to the US to sit it out, all the better. Have you spoken to an officer in the US embassy?

My wife is also an Italian citizen and can enter the us on the ESTA visa waiver. No green card but we were in the process of doing a k1 visa, and had an interview in the us embassy in ba scheduled for this month before this happened. And the US embassy will allow her to get one of the planes for us citizens as an immediate family member. But she doesn't want to go because she thinks the US is more dangerous than Argentina in terms of coronavirus.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am not sure about your reasons, but I don't think staying in Peru when neither one of you has ties, family, support network, etc there was a good idea. Maybe you can try to talk to both US and Arg embassies and see what your options are.

We're currently stuck in Peru. Assuming she somehow could get a flight, when is the next time I'd be able to fly to Argentina as an American with no residency permit? Months? A year? Kiss my my marriage and child goodbye?

I don't think anyone knows at this point. There are whole cities / provinces who depend on tourism for income. They need to be opened up at some point, the government can only subsidize at such a high level for so long.

My uneducated guess is 1.5 year at the max (assuming a vaccine arrives by then), and October at the earliest. When borders are opened there will probably be restrictions again. Where are you from, where have you been in the last couple weeks, maybe there will be certificates for those who have already had covid, self quarantine for 14 days when entering, etc.

The Argentinian embassy is awol and doesn't answer the phone or emails. US embassy has been super responsive and helpful. Issue is that there isn't really a way to get back to Argentina now, but assuming Argentina and Peru both lift their quarantines in May, maybe there will be commercial flights available to Argentina. For Argentinian citizens and permanent residents.

Fiscal,

I am sorry for what is going on. You have a mess on your hands. A very hard situation to deal with. It's times like these that test a relationship. When the sun shines, it's easy to get along. When there is a storm, that's when you find out what you are working with.

I can imagine how much you want to keep your family together. And I understand your wife's feelings to be where she is most comfortable. But what it all boils down to is selfishness (ON BEHALF of EACH OF YOU!) ... As each of you wants to do something that the other does not want to, or can't.

Regardless of geography, logic would favor togetherness, wherever that may be, for the three of you. If that can't be, then you need to be a man by letting your wife choose for herself and accept it. Then you are stuck to see what happens next and how soon it can happen. BUT REMEMBER THIS ... your wife is choosing others over you when you need to be together most ... You may not have the most loving bride as you have thought.

your wife is choosing others over you when you need to be together most ... You may not have the most loving bride as you have thought.
Wow, you really do not know these people, this is a harsh comment that would only cause arguments, etc. My guess is that his wife is scared and trying to protect THEIR son. The situation is super unfortunate. I have heard of buses getting into BA from abroad last week or so. I think there might be a way to return, but honestly am not sure. Maybe by land instead of flying? Maybe try to get in touch with other Argentine or Americans in Peru and see what they are doing or at least get some more info.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am not sure about your reasons, but I don't think staying in Peru when neither one of you has ties, family, support network, etc there was a good idea. Maybe you can try to talk to both US and Arg embassies and see what your options are.

My company has an office here in Lima and I am friends with various "chetos" in this city who can help in the event of an emergency, but it's not the same thing as immediate family... which in Argentina can mean everything.

My company has an office here in Lima and I am friends with various "chetos" in this city who can help in the event of an emergency, but it's not the same thing as immediate family... which in Argentina can mean everything.
well, it really depends on how old relatives are. I for one have my grandmother totally quarantined as she is over 80 and I am the only one that gets her food, etc. What I mean is that more/older relatives means more responsibility for you sometimes. If you are ok with money and and in a good place, you might just want to stick together until crossing any border is safe. I would not hope in any plane anytime soon. It is a tough time no matter where you are these days really. Just have to try to make it as pleasant as possible. At least you have those colleagues in Peru. Maybe try to Skype with her family, they can give her good advice. It is not a great time to be moving places and crossing borders. I guess the idea is to stay and be safe, not go anywhere else to then be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back