Wife really wants to go back to Argentina with kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company has an office here in Lima and I am friends with various "chetos" in this city who can help in the event of an emergency, but it's not the same thing as immediate family... which in Argentina can mean everything.
Can't you hunker down in Peru for a couple of months? Borders can't stay sealed forever. I believe by then we will know how things are shaping up.

I do know that American Airlines plans to resume service to BA in late May.

Wow, you really do not know these people, this is a harsh comment that would only cause arguments, etc. My guess is that his wife is scared and trying to protect THEIR son. The situation is super unfortunate. I have heard of buses getting into BA from abroad last week or so. I think there might be a way to return, but honestly am not sure. Maybe by land instead of flying? Maybe try to get in touch with other Argentine or Americans in Peru and see what they are doing or at least get some more info.

Believe me, I feel for the situation these people are going through.

I do not know these people personally, but I do know human nature. And I certainly do not want to invite an argument because of my opinion / view.

I can understand both points of view, husband and wife. And their desire to pursue what they know to be right or at least best for themselves.

Unless the relationship has issues, husband and wife belong together with their child as family should be. And I say this because travel and border crossings are a complete mess at best and more like a disaster. If they love each other and care about one another, their duty and responsibility is to each other and their child. No one else - no where else except for where all three of them can legally be together.

Personally, I would rather be in hell with the ones I love, than in heaven by myself or without my most special person. Having said that, if my most special person preferred to be in a place I could not go to as well, I would consider it to be selfish. And it would make me think very hard if I wanted to be treated this way. It's a very human, logical point of view and reaction I think.

Can't you hunker down in Peru for a couple of months? Borders can't stay sealed forever. I believe by then we will know how things are shaping up.

Peru and Bolivia have some of the strictest lockdowns in the world . Bolivia for example only allows you out one time a week depending on your id number . In the case of Peru it has not been effective at all as the cases there per capita are now the second highest in Latin America just behind Ecuador . .

Chile seems to have been the best in handling this as yet with a very low mortality rate and a less strict lockdown .

If you WERE to go to the US, WHERE would you go? A small city or town in the Midwest, for example, would not be like going to NYC. And it might very well be SAFER than a big city like BA. Also do you have a professional future in Argentina? The country's prospects are very poor now. Your children would have a good future in the US. Doesn't your wife consider that?

That's what we've been doing. I'm very comfortable here, we have a beautiful large Airbnb right with amazing views of the Pacific. But my wife says she would feel more secure in her own country.

Believe me, I feel for the situation these people are going through.

I do not know these people personally, but I do know human nature. And I certainly do not want to invite an argument because of my opinion / view.

I can understand both points of view, husband and wife. And their desire to pursue what they know to be right or at least best for themselves.

Unless the relationship has issues, husband and wife belong together with their child as family should be. And I say this because travel and border crossings are a complete mess at best and more like a disaster. If they love each other and care about one another, their duty and responsibility is to each other and their child. No one else - no where else except for where all three of them can legally be together.

Personally, I would rather be in hell with the ones I love, than in heaven by myself or without my most special person. Having said that, if my most special person preferred to be in a place I could not go to as well, I would consider it to be selfish. And it would make me think very hard if I wanted to be treated this way. It's a very human, logical point of view and reaction I think.
Excellent point and perspective. I appreciate it.

If you WERE to go to the US, WHERE would you go? A small city or town in the Midwest, for example, would not be like going to NYC. And it might very well be SAFER than a big city like BA. Also do you have a professional future in Argentina? The country's prospects are very poor now. Your children would have a good future in the US. Doesn't your wife consider that?
Los Angeles, where I'm from and my main office is. In the end I have to eventually return to the US for my work and can't stay indefinitely in Argentina unless I get a different, much lower paying job. She prefers our child grow up in Argentina because she doesn't like America and its "capitalist culture".

Is there any exception that can be made for immediate family of Argentine citizens? I know most countries allow it. Can anything be done on case by case basis? Have you contacted consular officials in Peru?

But my wife says she would feel more secure in her own country.

Sorry, don't mean to sound rude. But she seems to have a mind of her own and does not seem to believe in you or your decisions, for the family. Especially knowing there are no flights available to Argentina and if there were, only to citizens. You must give a serious look back at your relationship. Unfortunately, you have a kid ; if it was only wife, I would have suggested to let go of her right now.

No one from the Argentinian embassy answers the phone anymore. I call everyday. But how can Argentina really in? There is no path to leaving the country as a tourist. I can't show them an airplane ticket home because no airplanes fly out of Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back