WiFi disaster

hankscott

Registered
I'm still looking for a tech geek who can help me navigate the Buenos Aires telephone / wifi world. I have two eSim cards, one with Verizon (for my 917 US mobile number) and one with Claro (for my Buenos Aires number) on my iPhone 13. I have a separate wifi account active in my apartment. But I have no wifi connection when I am outside my apartment, unless I am in a cafe with wifi whose servers provide me with the code. When I am trying to use Google maps on the street, I can't track a destination without wifi.

Here is what I'm trying to figure out:

1) What is Personal Wifi Zone, which pops up on my iPhone 13's list of Wi-Fi options? Whenever I click to choose it, it identifies as an "unsecured network" and for minutes there is a spinning icon on the left showing it is trying to connect. It never does. Sometimes it just says "no connection." So why does it pop up?

2) I have a Claro account, that I signed up for to use my Argentine telephone number. However, Claro doesn't provide any wifi connection. Am I the only one experiencing that?

3) I have a Movistar account, according to what I see on my iPhone, which I wasn't aware of. Someone on this site explained that Verizon uses it to provide access in Argentina. Is there a way to use Movistar to give my iPhone wifi access when I am out of my apartment?

4) I have signed up for TeleCentro wifi on my iPhone to get access to wifi outside my apartment. But often I can't get access to it. It is difficult to update my subscription on my iPhone (it asks for a lot of data that I have to search for and then type in). And it is impossible to create and manage a TeleCentro wifi account on my laptop. I have entered all the requested info several times and when I finish, it spends as much as thirty minutes (processing) the application, and nothing happens.

So, the core question is: How does one get access to a wifi service that can be used outside ones apartment? I know there is BA Wifi, but it rarely works.

I am not an expert in dual-SIM solutions, and it's a whole can of worms (dependent on both your phone and the operator). But, basically, why do you want WiFi outside your apartment? Make sure you have credit and use your mobile network (Claro, in your case, I guess).

For your 2), you have a Claro SIM card, Personal doesn't want to know about you. Let it go. Forget Personal.

Your 2) and 3) are a bit inconsistent, I don't know what's going on there.

For 4), TeleCentro has received many negative opinions. I don't use it, so I can't offer any solutions.

BA WiFi sucks, the question is why on earth do you want WiFi connectivity on the street?

Last edited:
I am not an expert in dual-SIM solutions, and it's a whole can of worms (dependent on both your phone and the operator). But, basically, why do you want WiFi outside your apartment? Make sure you have credit and use your mobile network (Claro, in your case, I guess).

For your 2), you have a Claro SIM card, Personal doesn't want to know about you. Let it go. Forget Personal.

Your 2) and 3) are a bit inconsistent, I don't know what's going on there.

For 4), TeleCentro has received many negative opinions. I don't use it, so I can't offer any solutions.

BA WiFi sucks, the question is why on earth do you want WiFi connectivity on the street?
When I don't have a connection to my at home wifi service, I want access to wifi on the street so that I can search Google maps for a location (and find transit to it) and I can get access to websites, like those with news

I thought I found a couple of maps of free wifi in BA, but both turned to either not link to a map, or be trying to sell you something.
Most locations dont have free wifi, but there are some spots that do.

When I don't have a connection to my at home wifi service, I want access to wifi on the street so that I can search Google maps for a location (and find transit to it) and I can get access to websites, like those with news
You need to avoid using public wi-fi - unsecured public networks invite trouble. Use your telephone data.

There is Wi-Fi and there is mobile internet; they are different things. You are probably looking for mobile internet, not Wi-Fi.

Your phone company provides you with a certain number of gigabytes of mobile internet. If you cannot connect, you have either run out, or disabled it in your phone settings.

If you are on a prepaid Claro plan, you need to buy an internet package from them.
Register with MiClaro and go to the 'Comprar Packs' section.

Personal Wi-Fi Zone is a semi-public Wi-Fi network that Personal customers can use by logging into their accounts. When you connect to the Wi-Fi network, the iPhone Wi-Fi selection screen should load a portal webpage where you would log into your account at which point you would be authenticated and then able to browse the Internet freely, just like any other Wi-Fi network.

Sometimes the portal page doesn't load automatically and you can force it to load by going to Safari and then typing in the address "captive.apple.com" which is a dummy address that is designed to automatically load portal webpages if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network that is configured to have one.

Telecentro has its own equivalent semi-public Wi-Fi service for customers. I often see it in Carrefour stores for some reason. I can never get it to load, even to a portal page like Personal's service.

The OP is clearly confused and is commingling "Wifi" and "Data network for mobile phone", both of which are ways of connecting to the internet.

Wifi is a wireless internet network that is broadcast from a router that is either hooked up to a hardwired modem or a hardwired router/modem combo.

A data network for mobile phone is an internet network that is broadcast from the mobile phone towers closest to your physical location.

On you iPhone you will need to go into settings and make sure Cellular Data is enabled and that you choose the Claro eSim for Cellular Data.

I use Maps.me . Its free and works just like Google Maps, turn by turn navigation, shows shops, banks etc. you just have to download the Buenos Aires map once when you have internet access, after that it will work without any internet, even without a SIM card. I have used it in many countries, no payment required, no ads.
Doesn’t solve your problem but it helps

Back