will having a baby mean residency?

angieinba

Registered
i am due to have my baby here in buenos aires in a few more weeks. my husband & i are both US citizens. of course the baby will have dual citizenship but will this get us residency or any kind of legal status here as well?

'anchor baby' is a derogatory term.

... I understand, yes, it does entitle you to permanent residency.

You still have to gather all the papers and submit them - first you will have to get his birth certificate and DNI before applying. Doesn't matter if you are married or not or married outside ARG but its more hassle.

and don't forget your child can only leave ARG on an Argentine passport and needs a special agreement to travel out of the country with either parent individually.

Sorry to offend...didn't know...but that is what my hubby calls our to be spawn.

Even if both parents travel out with baby, you need his/her birth certificate to prove you are the parents. My husband and I weren't able to get on our flight because we hadn't brought our son's birth certificate with us, although we had both his passports and his DNI!!

Celia said:
Even if both parents travel out with baby, you need his/her birth certificate to prove you are the parents. My husband and I weren't able to get on our flight because we hadn't brought our son's birth certificate with us, although we had both his passports and his DNI!!

that is lunacy.

were they looking for a pay-off? they know that you can't get a DNI without a birth certificate.

How did they justify it?

Fishface said:
'anchor baby' is a derogatory term.

... I understand, yes, it does entitle you to permanent residency.

You still have to gather all the papers and submit them - first you will have to get his birth certificate and DNI before applying. Doesn't matter if you are married or not or married outside ARG but its more hassle.

and don't forget your child can only leave ARG on an Argentine passport and needs a special agreement to travel out of the country with either parent individually.

do you know what forms are required and where i can obtain them?
my son has his DNI already.

angienos said:
do you know what forms are required and where i can obtain them?
my son has his DNI already.

If you are US citizens and want to apply for any type of residency you need to do it at migraciones on Antardida. It isn't a matter of filling out forms. You simply have to submit the requisite documents, including the parents birth certificates and a criminal report from the country of residence for five years prior to arriving in Aergntina (with the seal of the apostille). Hopefully, you also have a marriage certificate that can receive the seal of apostille. I don't know if they will even ask about source of income, but if you are working here legally there won't be any problem.

If you already have temporary resident visas, the upgrade to permanent residency should be even easier. You may need a new Argentine police report if your last renewal was more than six months ago.

All of the information can be found on the following web page:

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/radicacion_e_mercosur.asp

or you can call 4317-0234/5/6/7

You will be able to get a DNI here. Your husband doesn't get anything out of the deal, sorry! It is meant to enable the mother and child to be able to stay together. One of my friend's still hasn't put through the papers because she said it's just as much a hassle as applying for residency (her baby is now almost 18months old!). So it's a process, but you will get approved at the end.

You might be able to find info on either the Registro Civil or Migraciones websites, I've seen another site before that has all the info but now I can't find it, perhaps someone else will be able to provide the link. You are probably best off calling for more info:

http://registrocivil.gov.ar/aplicaciones/guiaba/guia/?menu=1&info=indice&idm=23&menu_id=26

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

Back