Will the expat invasion end?

"Marc" said:
Granada
Yes I have a daughter of 21 years who lives in England.
I would have no problem raising a child here, but I don't understand the underlying point of your question.
Could you please be more specific?
Thanks
Marc
Since I replied to someone who said he knows a British family with kids who just moved to Argentina it seems relavant to me

The families I have come across with that live in suburbia and are generally happy with their lives here have been mostly transferred by companie... so I guess they take care of them... some have their own sources of income...
As for me I would raise my kids in this country, certainly. I don´t know if in the an appartment in the city or rather in the suburbs, but I would ...but then I am a local who was an expat ( or a re-pat )
best,

GranadaI don't know what you're talking about.I reiterate: I would have no problems bringing up a child in Argentina, but then, I am now 50, so the chances of that are slim at the very least. :(

GranadaAgain, what are you talking about please?Photos? Claim? Intrusos?Como?

"Fishface" said:
...That's where the complex comes from. And which Murdoch's tabloids play on, day after day. but what is the complex? what do Murdoch's tabloids play on?
In different ways, and probably more under Tory governments than Labour, as Tories typically play the jingoistic card more than Labour (the last refuge of a scoundrel is patriotism). For quite a while Tory ministers used to bray about how Britain was punching above its weight in the international arena -- this was an acknowledgment that nations such as Japan and Germany had surpassed it economically but that Britain's political influence was still greater -- primarily because of its "special relationship" with the USA. Nostalgia ranks high in the UK, looking back to a golden period which, as John Major once pointed out with irritation, never existed.
With powers that really matter, Britain backs down. Thus for example Hong Kong proper was ceded in perpetuity by the Chinese (unlike the New Territories, whose lease expired in 1997). But the Chinese wanted Hong Kong back and threatened to turn off the water and so the Thatcher government backed down without a whimper. Where was the jingosim then? And Hong Kong is thousands of times more valuable than a piece of rock in the South Pacific. But if an uppity second-tier country like Argentina tries to take away the Falklands, out comes all the jingoistic fervour and "Rule Brittania." Without this psychological complex, Britain would have ceded the Falklands a long time ago and resettled the sheep famers on the Isle of Wight.
I haven't lived in England now for almost twelve years but when I was there I used to watch talking heads on television agonising on what Britain's role in the world should be. Paul Kennedy in this connection once asked, "Do we wonder about what Portugal's role should be." Well, errr, ..., no, but Britain used to be a great power at one time, and it is still a special country. Well, so was Portugal. So was Spain. They've adjusted themselves to reduced stations. Why can't the Brits? Methinks part of the reason is that Britain "won" WW2.
In Thatcher's time, one idea was that Britain was a sort of fulcrum between the USA and the USSR, a sort of mediator, whose diplomatic skills could come in handy.
I like reading the novels of John le Carre, who does a masterful job -- in novels such as "The Night Manager," The Tailor of Panama," and "Absolute Friends" -- of revealing British pretensions. I particularly recommend the second one.
Truth to tell, I am an anglophile myself and the more so since I'm not English at all. I worry about Britain's role in the world. I think Britain is a special place (but one I can no longer afford to live in).

"Marc" said:
Granada
Again, what are you talking about please?
Photos? Claim? Intrusos?
Como?
Maybe it´s an idea to start living.
Start with watching America TV now, read a magazine, walk around outside your (semi) privado barrio and talk to people
You know what a telo is right?
P.S. 500.000 abortions every year, or rougly one of every 10 woman between 16 and 25 has one. One of every 8 children is born from a underage mom. Must be a great country to raise your kids in.

I repeat GranadaWhat the f*** are you talking about?Which country?I don't know what you are talking about.Actually, I left the barrio cerrado for a couple of hours today. It was a nice fluffy feeling.

"Granadaiscool" said:
Granada
Again, what are you talking about please?
Photos? Claim? Intrusos?
Como?

Maybe it´s an idea to start living.
Start with watching America TV now, read a magazine, walk around outside your (semi) privado barrio and talk to people
You know what a telo is right?
P.S. 500.000 abortions every year, or rougly one of every 10 woman between 16 and 25 has one. One of every 8 children is born from a underage mom. Must be a great country to raise your kids in.

Being a parent let me disagree with you Granada: the most elemental and important education starts from home. If you teach your kids right you can either live here, in Zimbawe, Europe or wherever. Human miseries are the same all over the world. Telos are just as popular here as free access to all kinds of drugs in the Netherlands.
nik

"nikad" said:
Even if you are the most perfect parent, the kids you kids play with, date with, go to school with, etc, etc are mal educados.
This is better offcourse in let´s say Martinez but there are still plenty of stuff in Argentina you don´t want to confront your kids with.
But thats my opinion
Do you live in Argentina Nik? If no, why not?

Being a parent let me disagree with you Granada: the most elemental and important education starts from home. If you teach your kids right you can either live here, in Zimbawe, Europe or wherever. Human miseries are the same all over the world. Telos are just as popular here as free access to all kinds of drugs in the Netherlands.
nik

Back