Will the expat invasion end?

"Granadaiscool" said:
Even if you are the most perfect parent, the kids you kids play with, date with, go to school with, etc, etc are mal educados.
This is better offcourse in let´s say Martinez but there are still plenty of stuff in Argentina you don´t want to confront your kids with.
But thats my opinion
Do you live in Argentina Nik? If no, why not?
I am argentine married to an american expat and we both live here. There are all kinds of people everywhere really, and as much as we all try to protect our children, the truth is that dangers are everywhere and there is good and bad people everywhere as well. Social, economic and education status have their influence, but I think it is limited, nothnig replaces a good home and caring present parents. This country has some specific dangers, other countries have others. If I knew a place with no drugs, crime, sexual abuse, suicide, promiscuity and wars I would definetly move there asap ;)nik

"nikad" said:
I am argentine married to an american expat and we both live here. There are all kinds of people everywhere really, and as much as we all try to protect our children, the truth is that dangers are everywhere and there is good and bad people everywhere as well. Social, economic and education status have their influence, but I think it is limited, nothnig replaces a good home and caring present parents. This country has some specific dangers, other countries have others. If I knew a place with no drugs, crime, sexual abuse, suicide, promiscuity and wars I would definetly move there asap ;)

nik
It´s just that Argentina has a lot more dangers then a tipical middle class, small town neibourghood in the first world
I don´t know about you but I do think it´s difficult to educate your kids when they see the wrong examples everywhere.

Even if you are the most perfect parent, the kids you kids play with, date with, go to school with, etc, etc are mal educados.
This is better offcourse in let´s say Martinez but there are still plenty of stuff in Argentina you don´t want to confront your kids with.
But thats my opinion
Do you live in Argentina Nik? If no, why not?

Google for it but the figure is rght.
And it´s offcourse the abortions I was talking about, to stop unwanted pregnancies. Very few might be for medical or other reasons but those are a small pregnancy
And then offcourse there are 14% of all kids that are born from teenage mothers. I don´t have figures of single (teenage) moms, but that figure must be pretty high as well

I am not sure wether you have ever visited a small town in Argentina ( 150 km + off the cities ) I have in several occasions and you find different sets of values ( for instance a single mother is still a taboo, same goes for teenage pregnancies, drugs, smoking etc ) In these places people tend to be a lot more conservative, which I assume is more similar to small towns in other countries. You also don´t have the crazy traffic, fumes, etc. In general big cities tend to have the same problems: drugs, crime, pollution, prostitution, etc. Small towns here different than lets say, a small town in the US or Europe ( less services, less variety of stores and restaurants, etc )nik

"nikad" said:
I am not sure wether you have ever visited a small town in Argentina ( 150 km + off the cities ) I have in several occasions and you find different sets of values ( for instance a single mother is still a taboo, same goes for teenage pregnancies, drugs, smoking etc ) In these places people tend to be a lot more conservative, which I assume is more similar to small towns in other countries. You also don´t have the crazy traffic, fumes, etc. In general big cities tend to have the same problems: drugs, crime, pollution, prostitution, etc. Small towns here different than lets say, a small town in the US or Europe ( less services, less variety of stores and restaurants, etc )
nik
I know many small towns and if there are good private schools that would probally one of the best places in Argentina to raise your kids, but expats/foreigners/immigrants tend to go where there are jobs and it´s hard to find a job in most places there

"Granadaiscool" said:
I am not sure wether you have ever visited a small town in Argentina ( 150 km + off the cities ) I have in several occasions and you find different sets of values ( for instance a single mother is still a taboo, same goes for teenage pregnancies, drugs, smoking etc ) In these places people tend to be a lot more conservative, which I assume is more similar to small towns in other countries. You also don´t have the crazy traffic, fumes, etc. In general big cities tend to have the same problems: drugs, crime, pollution, prostitution, etc. Small towns here different than lets say, a small town in the US or Europe ( less services, less variety of stores and restaurants, etc )
nik

I know many small towns and if there are good private schools that would probally one of the best places in Argentina to raise your kids, but expats/foreigners/immigrants tend to go where there are jobs and it´s hard to find a job in most places there

That is true, also being able to speak the language is totally necessary ( in the city of Ba you find a lot more people that can speak at least some English ). Being an expat in a small town here would only be possible if you telecommute. There are private schools in many small towns. Life goes at a totally different pace, it is actually in our plans moving out of the city in the near future.nik

About Argentina begin cheap for families.
Let´s to live decent with a family you need to live in Zona Norte. Let´s say it´s costing you 200k US, you need a some furniture, lets say another 20k and a car, let´s say another 20k
So just to get started you need to have 200-250k in cash, because credits don´t exist in Argentina
I make some estimations because I dont know the exact numbers but I would think I am close. Family of 4:
Food: 4 x 400 peso = 1600 peso
Health Care = 1000 peso
Home = 800 peso
Car = 800 peso
Education = 2 x 1500 peso = 3000 peso
Tickets back home one time a year = 4 x 3000 peso, 6000 peso to spend = 1000 peso a month
Holiday inside of Argentina(coast, Igazu, etc, etc) = 200 peso a month
Savings = 2000 peso a month (anyone who does not save or invest in Argentina is just plain stupid and to have a decent retirement plan I would think you need to save atleast 2000 peso a month)
So you will need atleast 10.000 peso a month to stay a live, lets say you want to do some extra´s and spend 3000 peso a month extra.
So that would be 2800 euro´s a month, and about 4100 dollars a month and with that kind of money you can have a decent live everywhere in the Euro zone(and in GB outside of London) and in the US(outside the urban centres). In Europe and the US you can actually save decent money, buy property that basicially keeps his value, you won´t be thrown on the street if you run out a job(especially in Europe) and your country doesn´t go through hyperinflations, defaults and more of that kind of shit.
And on top of that your wive can find a job at 45 after begin 20 years at home

While your numbers are close to my household´s, you can cut on certain things ( this all depends on what type of lifestyle you have ). I know that we spend here as much money as if we were in the US.

Let´s to live decent with a family you need to live in Zona Norte.
Let´s say it´s costing you 200k US, you need a some furniture, lets say
another 20k and a car, let´s say another 20k
---- You can buy a house in Zona Norte for 100k

---- You can buy a used car 10k
I make some estimations because I dont know the exact numbers but I would think I am close. Family of 4:
Food: 4 x 400 peso = 1600 peso
---- I agree

Health Care = 1000 peso
---- you can go to public hospitals or get a cheap health insurance for 300 pesos for the 4

Home = 800 peso
--- ( I assume this is utilities, and I agree with it )

Car = 800 peso
--- ( I assume this is gas+insurance )

Education = 2 x 1500 peso = 3000 peso
---- send your kids to public school, private schools start at 150 pesos ( religious ) but you have a wide range: 450, 650, 800, 1200, etc

Tickets back home one time a year = 4 x 3000 peso, 6000 peso to spend = 1000 peso a month ( ok )

Holiday inside of Argentina(coast, Igazu, etc, etc) = 200 peso a month ( ok, but not everybody takes 2 vacations in a year )

Savings
= 2000 peso a month (anyone who does not save or invest in Argentina is
just plain stupid and to have a decent retirement plan I would think
you need to save atleast 2000 peso a month) ( this is ok if you are not already retired )
nik

I think it was you who said who met a foreign couple with young kids who came to Argentina because it´s cheap
I don´t consider driving around in a banged up used car, living in a 100k home, having your kids in a public school and going to puclic hospitals as a decent life.
And any foreigner who does that is just plain stupid and does not have the best interest of there kids in mind.

Back