Will the expat invasion end?

JG, This is an interesting point about expats not really wanting to have anything to do with each other other than making personal attacks on message boards. Marc will most likely never meet granada for tea and chit-chat (for example).
For myself, I've noted this very same situation. If granadaiscool called me up right now, I'd make an excuse for not meeting, like the price of oil is too high etc... The truth is I'd rather sleep with an Argentine woman or dance at a nightclub.
Will the invasion end today? I do not know. Just knowing that there is an invasion is enough for me. Long live the invasion.

Marc, I agree with you - granadaiscool - "SUCKS", I don't know from what Planet He come from, but please do us all a favor and take the first space shutle to the Sun.

"JG" said:
regarding the expats themselves. has anyone noticed, perhaps those who have lived in the middle east or other areas as an expat, that the expat community here is not very close at all. and you can see how many are at each others throats on the board. i guess thats a topic for another thread though, another day.
An interesting observation. In the Middle East, Westerners cannot really mix with the locals -- the culture is totally alien and the language problem almost insurmountable. Furthermore, the Westerners are usually there to fill a specific niche and they go there for pecuniary reasons -- nothing else. Often they live in company towns or enclaves. And finally, they often have common backgrounds and common interests -- e.g. an American petroleum engineer will probaly come from the same background and have the same interests as another American petroleum engineer and they may work for the same or similar companies. In such conditions, it's natural that Americans will band together, that Brits will band together, and so on. This is not the state of affairs in Argentina. Expats have far less in common. Some of them are perpetual outsiders and cannot fit in any society. Differing motives bring them to Argentina -- some pecuniary, some cultural, some frankly confused.It's easier to mix with locals than with Arabs. And a few come to immerse themselves in local society and want to have as little to do with expats as possible.

Argentine culture may be much easier for Westerners to understand than, say, Arab. However, that doesn't mean everyone will be readily accepted by the locals. Let's not confuse things. Most expats I know -especially the younger ones- find it really hard to fit in here. The truth is very few Argentines are interested in foreigners. The majority are unfriendly and distrust everyone who isn't like them. If you want to make good friends, I recommend that you move to other South American countries (Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, etc) where people are nicer and really appreciate foreigners.

I've lived in a number of countries including places where the culture was accessible. Expats here are less friendly than I found them to be in the other places. There seems to be a degree of resentment among some of the expats. I don't know what it is but I don't find them too nice in general.

Interesting comments about immersion. I, for one, have lived here for nearly five years. As most of you may know from my previous posts, I came here with a positive attitude after living in Italy and Germany. However, if it wasn't for other foreigners, particularly Americans, I would lose my mind here. Argentines are only interested in one thing.....what you can do for them....especially from the "so-called" upper classes. Free alcohol, free dinners, free parties....they are there but it is NEVER reciprocated. Most of them (not all) have no clue to reality and I find them boring, obnoxious and tiresome but most of all pure jealousy and envy. Thank God for the other Americans here. At least we have a sense of humor that is also lacking here.

At the risk of being accused yet again of kissing ass, I must come to the defense of th Argentine people I have met. I met a lady on our company intranet, who no longer works for us and so I can do nothing for her, yet every time I am in BsAs she invites me to her home, feeds me, entertains me, and treats me as part of the family. What I have done to deserve such treatment I do not know, yet she asks nothing in return.
People I meet in milongas offer me hospitality, guidance, food and freindship. I have nothing here with which to repay them. Every big city I have visited has been filled with rogues out to screw me, BsAs is no exception to this, but the friendliness of the local people is unique.
Sorry if this offends some of you who think I only kiss ass, but that is just the way I see it. We all seek out our own, that is only natural, but if you cannot find your own in Argentina the locals will welocome you if you let them.

"Ariel" said:
I've lived in a number of countries including places where the culture was accessible. Expats here are less friendly than I found them to be in the other places. There seems to be a degree of resentment among some of the expats. I don't know what it is but I don't find them too nice in general.
Expats change their behavior according to the society they live in. So, if they are less friendly here than in other places, then this society must be less friendly to begin with. Sometimes foreigners have no choice but to adjust to the local manners. As the old saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".
As far as resentment goes, I think Argentines win hands down. Some of them are the most resentful people I've ever met. In particular, they seem to hold a grudge against successful countries. I wonder why...
Ariel, your reaction resembles that of a typical Argentine... Always pointing fingers and blaming everyone but yourselves. Could it be that the problem lies not with expats but with people like you?

Back