With Less Than 2 Weeks Until The Elections ...

Redbeanz

Registered
I would be interested in hearing informed, thoughtful ideas (please -- not ideological biases) on this question:

What could be a winning strategy when there are so many opposition parties that, together, indicate a strong anti-current-govt stand, but that, apart, compete against each other -- inevitably leading to a win for the current govt?

I don't know what they can do now but I think not doing a pact with Massa was a horrendous political move on Macri's part. And his recent actions seem to show that he realizes his mistake but now he's in a bind. When I watched the debate, I couldn't tell the difference between most anyone. Marci and Massa could have just not talked and just hugged and kissed each other ("don't you agree Massa that what I say is extremely important?", Masse says, "Oh yes, without a doubt!!"). The only guy who was different was del Caño. Don't agree with his crazy policies at all but at least he was different to everyone else. Maybe Stolbizer had some different ideas too but I couldn't tell with her being on turbo talking mode (what the heck's wrong with her? It was fun contrasting the amount of words she stuffed in her 2 minutes as opposed to Saá who sounded like he was frozen in time).

Anyway, I think its a little too late for the opposition. Scioli will take the top spot, Macri second and Massa third and if there is balotaje then the only thing I can think about is Massa campaigning for Macri. I really don't see all Massistas rallying behind Macri though. Right now I'd be surprised if we didn't see Scioli win the presidency.

You know that most famous of Argentine jokes: How does an Argentinian kill himself?

Here you see its real life, frightening application.

Maybe Stolbizer had some different ideas too but I couldn't tell with her being on turbo talking mode (what the heck's wrong with her? It was fun contrasting the amount of words she stuffed in her 2 minutes as opposed to Saá who sounded like he was frozen in time).

[not meaning to hijack my own thread here -- I really would like to read some spirited discussion on this -- but was momentarily struck by your thoughts on Stolbizer and Saā, and how similar that is to the contrast between Fiorina and Carson in the 2nd republican debate --]

Anyway, back to HERE -- is it just too late? Surely there is much talk and possibly some action going on backstage? Epiphany that compromising on even major differences might be more important than everybody losing again?

I think its too late. Macri ran on "we will not work with anyone who was part of the current admin and Massa is worse than the devil himself". What choice does he really have now? Turn around and say sorry? I think Macri and Massa should have been together. I don't think legally they can do anything anymore (the tickets are set as they are). What deals are they going to cut?

But other than all that legal and backroom stuff, I really don't see people who support one forgetting their differences to support another candidate. Sure they are "anti kirchnerista" but as nice as that sounds, what position do you really have when you say, "I am not them"? Which is what Macri was hinting at that everyone who is anti kirchnerista should vote for him. Well support based on nothing for and just against the current government is bound to result in every individual selecting his version of Peronismo to back in the elections. You have kirchneristas because they support Kirchner policies (its a different matter whether those policies are good or bad). And then you have the opposition who is voting against Kirchner. If everyone got behind Cambiemos from the get-go (like PRO, UNEN, Radicales) then I could see them having a huge advantage right now.

But as things stand, after the first round of voting, if there is balotaje, I think everyone should get together to throw their support behind whoever is in the second place. Because unless the poll numbers are extremely inaccurate, I don't see anyone from the opposition getting more votes than Scioli in the first round.

Throw their support behind the second guy and make sure they only focus on things that are common. And the positive ideas (not just anti Kirchner rhetoric) should be what they should focus on. From the debate it didn't look like all of them supporting one candidate should be that hard to do anyway.

Like Gringoboy said, too many opposition parties, they should have only had one. What a wasted opportunity!

Other than this I am not sure anything can really be done but I would be happy for someone to enlighten me further on this issue.

I wish I could enlighten you, I really do.
So often people have said to me recently that Argentina is condemned to making the same old mistakes, which is in itself a cop-out however realistic.
The writing's been on the wall for a long, long time and when Massa did so well in the mid-terms, he became The Great White Hope so to speak and we all saw a light at the end of the tunnel. The fact that he never actually says anything when he opens his mouth may have finally been noticed in recent months however. Argentina isn't just Tigre is it?
So many are convinced of a second round. Nobody ever said politics was fair, so if they do get that far (second round), they better pull up their collective bootstraps, wake up and smell what's coming in the next four years if Mr Charisma wins.
Agreed about Stolbizer; she's a complete political turn off.

I actually find campaign times pretty funny, things like Macri saying there are lots of good things done by the Ks, that they will continue AUH and other stuff, talking good of nationalizations, you know, unveilling a statue of Peron.... thats actually very funny!!

La Nacion postulating on a possible 'miracle'.

Macri could have refused to unveil that monstrosity surely?

Today's La Nacion had an interesting editorial ,"Reconstruir El Tejido Social e Institucional del Pais".Reconstruct The Country's Social and Institutional Fabric". This as we all know only too well has been destroyed by the numerous confrontations and conflicts instigated by the Ks to keep themselves in power long after they have left government.As you above have stated there are too many candidates.True enough but this is Argentine "personalismo" at work and you have no choice but to work with it.Damian Fernandez Pedemonte,Director of the Post Graduate School of Communication at Austral U. and a researcher with Conocet ends with 3 suggestions to awaken hope to regenerate the debate that is absent today.1) reinitiate the independence and deliberation of the different state powers-a real separation and interaction of powers.2)Protection of civil rights and freedoms and.3) Initiate pluralistic ,non-violent debate among all the marginated even if they are not close to the central government.Maybe this might help.Even if the Argentine press is a "total joke" as one member of the forum recently stated.

Back