Working like in Argentina/South America?

Smcali23

Registered
Hiya -

I've been asked to help a friend out with a small section of a project focused upon foreign experiences of working in South America (the section, not the project!).

Basically, he needs to write a section highlighting some of the key differences/things to look out for when working in the continent.

I know it will be broadly generalized, as its a continent and not one country he's looking at (one of the first things I'd suggest he say) but if you have any ideas on what sort of things he could suggest, that would be greatly appreciated.

I work from home, so although I have a few ideas, they're not really based upon real experience (apart from teaching).

The sort of advice I'd look for would be stuff like:

1. Things to take into account when applying for a job

2. Reasons for wanting to work in South America

3. Any working practices/ways of acting/equal opportunities issues/general issues you should look out for.

It's a small section of a larger work, so it doesn't need to be detailed in any way.

Well, if anyone can help, or can think of anything that would make them say, 'wow, I wish I'd known this before I started work here', then that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Oops - anyone know how you change a title? I sound like Paris Hilton... (obviously meant to say working life!)

One thing I think is crazy here is that if you apply for a job, they can ask you all about your family and even ask to speak to your spouse!

Reasons to want to work here-
1. Way more flexible hours. Most companies allow you to work from home more often, come and go as you please (within reason), take breaks often and take long lunches.
2. Casual dress code - Government employees can have pink hair, tattoos and wear sneakers. I LOVE that.

Things to take into account when applying -
1. Make sure you get an estimate on NET salary as the taxes are very high
2. Ask about health insurance - although Argentina has public health care, private companies are better

Great! Thanks so much for those points - that's exactly the sort of thing he's looking for.

Lots of personal questions during job interviews and be sure to include a recent photo at the top of your resume. You will be asked if you have or are planning to have children, if you are married or divorced, what football team you like, favorite beer, etc. I am not kidding I was asked these things.

They seriously ask you for that sort of stuff??? Sounds intense! So, if you'd answered the wrong beer would they not have given you the job?

I heard something about them doing psychological profiles of you when applying for some roles here. Is that the reason they asked you those questions, or could that be something different? Either way, it sounds like overkill!

I own 3 companies in Argentina, so I have some insight. It's all true, and more: when you advertise for a position, you can specify gender, age, etc, that don't have anything to do with abilities to do the job. So an ad can read: "Looking for a male, between the ages of 25 and 29...".

Also, the balance of power between the employer and employee is different: when it comes to salary, Argentine workers are paid a relatively low wage, but if you have to fire them (even for cause), the employer is going to have to pay out much more than their counterparts in the US would have to. The relationship generally between employers and employees in quite adversarial.

Thanks so much Toulouse! So, as an employer, have you found it particularly difficult working out here? It sounds like you constantly have to have your guard up!

I had a crazy pyschological 4 hour test done to me...looking at inc blotches etc. I was waiting for the electric shock machine to come out.

So I have a questions about those companies that don't' know how to deal with candidates that don't have residency/CUILl. What is a good suggestion to give them? E.g. Maybe they need to write up a letter and send it somewhere? etc. Does anybody know?

Also - Argentines are much more into personal connections and nepotism. They would much rather mix friends and business than Americans.

Back