Working Remote In Argentina. Tax Implications?

@andesmandes

I agree with all except car. If you don't have family or everyday use of it, I can't see it worth to have. It is incredibly expensive to have a car and another thing to worry about. Of course is personal preference, but this is one of the worst places to own a car...

Exactly it is personal preference and depends on where you live and what you need it for. I personally do not want to live without my car here. Again I do not live in BA or in a downtown area. If there was some kind of carsharing organization nearby I would maybe reconsider.

I agree with you guys. everyone here with their own set of preferences and needs.

In my case, I prefer without a credit/debit card, car/home loan.

Uff - I think having a car is the worst. And it's SO expensive. While they do hold their value, there is no way you come out ahead when you factor in the costs of insurance, peajes, nafta/diesel, patentes, inspections, etc. Much less the service and maintenance. I own my car but if I lived in cap fed, i would never have one. Personal preference for sure.

My experience is quite different. Bought an economic car a few years back. Gasoline is way cheaper here compared to where I lived in Europe back in the days and even a little less expensive than my previous south american domicile. Maintenance costs are low, too. Just the regular oil/filter changes at a reliable ypf boxes place (same oil and filter for half what they charge at the dealership). Also there are no peajes around here. But yes personal preference ... and needs.

Where do you live that there are no peajes?

I need a car, hence why I have it. We're in pvca but close to town. My car is a VW and is going on 6 years old so not new. I calculated it costs me 250 pesos every time I go to town between NAFTA and peajes. I pay give or take 5000 pesos a year in patentees. I pay 700 a month in insurance. It's 600 or so to fill up my tank. And servicing it costs several thousand every 15000 kilometers. If something breaks - it's outrageously expensive to fix (but that's a VW thing). I figure my car costs me in best case scenario close to 60,000 pesos a year if nothing breaks.

Sigh..that was depressing to think about.

Where do you live that there are no peajes?

I live out west and that is where I mostly drive around. For example if you drive from San Juan all the way to northern Chubut I remember only one peaje on the whole way (in Neuquén capital crossing the highway bridge). And if I remember it correctly it was just a peso or two - so a joke.

I need a car, hence why I have it. We're in pvca but close to town. My car is a VW and is going on 6 years old so not new. I calculated it costs me 250 pesos every time I go to town between NAFTA and peajes. I pay give or take 5000 pesos a year in patentees. I pay 700 a month in insurance. It's 600 or so to fill up my tank. And servicing it costs several thousand every 15000 kilometers. If something breaks - it's outrageously expensive to fix (but that's a VW thing). I figure my car costs me in best case scenario close to 60,000 pesos a year if nothing breaks.

With patentees you mean the tax (impuesto automotor)? 5000 seems quite a lot for a six year old VW or do you have a model considered "alta gama"?. Or maybe there is a big differences between the provinces? I only pay something like 4xx pesos per quarter. Also do you get your VW serviced at the dealership or independent place? You always pay a lot more if you go to the official dealership place (not just in Argentina). For the first service I went to the dealership for the warranty. But since the warranty expired I go to a YPF boxes place that came highly recommended. It costs me less than half with exactly the same brand/type oil and same filters. And they usually do it on the spot (while you can watch them do their work so you can be sure they really change the filter etc.).

And I forgot: With the gas prizes checkout the old Europe: http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html

Ah lucky you. Anywhere you go around here, you pay a toll. It's two tolls to get from town to here, whichever route I go and about 50 pesos each way. Patentes is approximately 4% of the value of the car. I may be overestimating a bit - haven't checked what the declared value is not but it won't be much less than that. Probably less where you are I would guess?

And no, I do my service at a local place, not at the dealership since it's out of warranty. Still costs a few thousand pesos. A few months ago, I hit a pothole (danm roads around here) and put a crack in the transmission casing (I think that's what the carter is in english?). Anyway, fixing that, replacing the fluid and the service was 11,000 pesos. Which was better than the 18,000 pesos that the dealership was going to charge. Sob..

Cars - hate them. But yes, everybody has different experiences I guess.

I drove a car all my life since the age of 18 till I set food in the amazing city of Buenos Aires. I have not driven a car for many years now except once in a while when I am in Houston for long periods of time and a car becomes a necessity.

Now I am worried, I might forget how to drive a car.

Back