Working Remote In Argentina. Tax Implications?

Patentes is approximately 4% of the value of the car. I may be overestimating a bit - haven't checked what the declared value is not but it won't be much less than that. Probably less where you are I would guess?

Standard tax rate must be somewhere between 2 and 3%. But they give you a discount if you do not owe any car taxes from previous years. Plus another discount on top of it if you make the 2015 tax payments on time. Those discounts bring it down to somewhere between 1 and 2 % of the value.

Of course, when I say car is craziness I mean for caba. All the rest I'm well aware you want to have it, and also some things are cheaper.

In caba you have to calculate all costs (that are in my opinion higher) + insane parking/garage - cheap and quite good public transport. And I didn't even start on traffic and robberies... And then you need so many km just to get out of the city to llanura, that you might as well just grab a plane, ay least you can change environment a little bit.

Lucha, residents and citizens have equal duties regarding tax.
I suggest you have a DNI with your address in the US and count the 6 months by tax year.
It is regarding income tax.

ceviche said

I drove a car all my life since the age of 18 till I set food in the amazing city of Buenos Aires. I have not driven a car for many years now except once in a while when I am in Houston for long periods of time and a car becomes a necessity.

Now I am worried, I might forget how to drive a car.

In the US South and West having a car is a necessity, even in big cities like Houston and Atlanta. I will be glad not to have to have one when I move.
However, Ceviche, I understand that driving, like riding a bicycle and having sex, is something you never forget how to do.

Driving not, having sex perhaps, i didn´t want to try not having it to see what happends.

Sorry. I did not mean to suggest riding a bicycle and having sex simultaneously! And I very much look forward to not having a car. With loan payments, gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. it has to cost me over $600.00 per month, but here I can't do without one.

Hi there, I am in a similar situation a ND wanted to get your opinion. I am a US citizen working as a W2 employee in the US. Due to some personal issues I am looking at requesting a telecommute exception which would allow me to work in Argentina. I am also a legal permanent resident in Argentina and wouldn't have any issue living there. I understand the ax laws and that I made be liable for double taxation If I stay more than 6 months in Argentina but also understand that I can file a foreign exception on my US Taxes. Since I would pay taxes in Argentina what employment category would I fall in when reporting my worldwide earning to the AFIP?

My employeer hoe does not have a local office in Arg is worried about potential infractions or liabilities allowing me to work there. Would they run any risks like for example having to follow local labor laws?

On a side note, the work I do will be all for the US and. I will not interact with any local entities. Is working remotely from Argentina possible without my employeer running any tax or labor law risk?

I think if you take a permanent salaried W2 job, it automatically makes you a resident of your state, and probably resident of the USA on the federal level. So, taking foreign exemption may be problematic, besides you need to stay at least 330 days outside of the USA to clam it. And you will have to pay state taxes.

Would they run any risks like for example having to follow local labor laws?

In my opinion, this is very unlikely. But I can see his concern. Basically, he sends his permanent employee to work in Argentina. So, he is responsible for potential legal problems.

Have you considered becoming a 1099 contractor? Then you will pay your taxes yourself, your employer is not supposed to care where you are, and you can claim your residency in some of tax-free states.

(This should not be considered as a legal advice ).

Back