Working remotely from Argentina.

Agree.

I have seen some very sorry attempts. I have seen some great quality from amateurs as well.

The point is to start. Initially you will make a sorry attempt. But if you are genuinely adept in the knowledge of your subject, eventually, you will make an impact. The process of gaining audience works like Compound effect. Initially its damn slow/a trickle. But eventually, it grows and expands.Patience wins.

Last edited:
I am currently earning my living writing, but very interested in learning to make at least some extra income from trading. I'm also looking at swing trading.

I had some prior experience a few years ago with day trading and a "coach" that turned out to be a mistake and a waste of time. Recently I decided to go at things myself and learn from the ground up. I've been paper trading for a couple of months and am starting to do well my third month in. I'm planning to give it another 2 or 3 months to see if it continues or if I'm just getting lucky, but I think I have two or three solid strategies that are working for me.

Right now I'm basically on my own, I don't really have anyone to talk to about ideas or questions or anything. Would love to find a few people that are serious about it and trade ideas and information.

What platform are you trading on? I used Trade Station in the past but I'm using ThinkOrSwim from Schwab/TDAmeritrade now. I'm not a genius or anything, but I am doing pretty well with the scripting language to make my own studies, strategies, and filters.

I have some experience trading. It's very difficult, especially day trading. If I were to day trade I would look into the coach Warrior Trading on youtube. I don't know him personally but seen his content and he seems good. You have to think very quick in day trading which is not easy. Swing trading is also somewhat difficult in my opinion because you have to use a stop loss. Market is constantly volatile and it's very easy to get stopped out in such an environment. Some people are good at this and know how to do it but it's not easy and not many can do it I assume. Also, a big percentage of it seems to be psychological and require discipline. I haven't had much luck with either of these trading methods. Only thing to me that seems promising is investing, buying low, holding it until it goes up significantly, no stops or situations that are stop like, like using lots of margin, and if price goes down a lot you get a margin call and basically it's like if you had a stop. Also, day trading and even swing trading to some degree requires you to be watching the markets more often. With swing trading and investing you can easier do it on the side, wait until the market closes for the day and then look at the charts and this way monitor your position rather than constantly have to watch the chart every minute. For this reason unless one has a particular gift at day trading it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Also, with day trading, if you internet goes down even a few minutes, or something goes wrong with the broker, you could lose huge amounts. And as mentioned, you don't have much time to think and ponder in day trading, so easier to make a mistake or get emotional.

The humble brag thread.

Like Fooze, I am a writer and have been since my third month here in 2010. I try my hardest to stay away from the general online writing scene and lament everyday that I am not really writing what I want to write. Certainly, I didn't go through university to be the writer I am. Still, I know that few people are lucky enough to be working in what is basically their dream job, so I value my position because being a writer is the only thing I ever wanted to do.

What I have found during the pandemic, although it has been growing for years, is that most people think they can be a writer. It's a little like teaching English... "Hey, I am strapped for cash, what can I do? Teach English or become a writer." Doing it and doing it well are two different things. No, actually doing it and doing it successfully are two different things.

What kind of writing do you all do? I'm interested in writing also. It's not my day job though. More of an interest or passion. I'm into non-fiction writing regarding philosophy and such. Working on some books right now. Haven't published anything yet, no articles or anything at all. Little time in a day to work on it. Hoping maybe can get something done if I go to BA. Do you guys have any advice, like how to do it, including publisher, agent, etc.? If it's good will it get published? Or are there huge challenges? Was thinking maybe to hook up with some established writers in my topic and maybe pay them as consultants, and if the books are good maybe even they'll be coauthor. Mostly want to make sure if I wrote something good that it gets attention and doesn't get lost. Not necessarily in it for the money. Also, as someone who is an aspiring writer I hate reading. Doesn't seem like an ideal format for learning. For example, I recently watched a couple of documentaries about Napoleno's Russia war and learned a lot, with map animations, showing historical clothing, guns, etc., and interviews by various experts, and it was fun to watch, with music and scene recreations, all in a matter of several hours. I don't see how a book could beat that. I imagine experts or enthusiasts of a particular subject may find reading books useful as additional sources of info, but for the average person I don't see much benefit. Maybe I missed something. What are your thoughts?

Also, as someone who is an aspiring writer I hate reading. Doesn't seem like an ideal format for learning. For example, I recently watched a couple of documentaries about Napoleno's Russia war and learned a lot, with map animations, showing historical clothing, guns, etc., and interviews by various experts, and it was fun to watch, with music and scene recreations, all in a matter of several hours. I don't see how a book could beat that. I imagine experts or enthusiasts of a particular subject may find reading books useful as additional sources of info, but for the average person I don't see much benefit. Maybe I missed something. What are your thoughts?
Steven Pinker, in his beautiful book on non-fiction writing (The Sense of Style, Penguin, 2014) says:
"Good writers are avid readers. They have absorbed a vast inventory of words, idioms, constructions, tropes, and rhetorical tricks, and with
them a sensitivity to how they mesh and how they clash. This is the elusive “ear” of a skilled writer—the tacit sense of style which every honest stylebook, echoing Wilde, confesses cannot be explicitly taught. Biographers of great authors always try to track down the books their subjects read when they were young, because they know these sources hold the key to their development as writers."

What kind of writing do you all do? I'm interested in writing also. It's not my day job though. More of an interest or passion. I'm into non-fiction writing regarding philosophy and such. Working on some books right now. Haven't published anything yet, no articles or anything at all. Little time in a day to work on it. Hoping maybe can get something done if I go to BA. Do you guys have any advice, like how to do it, including publisher, agent, etc.? If it's good will it get published? Or are there huge challenges? Was thinking maybe to hook up with some established writers in my topic and maybe pay them as consultants, and if the books are good maybe even they'll be coauthor. Mostly want to make sure if I wrote something good that it gets attention and doesn't get lost. Not necessarily in it for the money. Also, as someone who is an aspiring writer I hate reading. Doesn't seem like an ideal format for learning. For example, I recently watched a couple of documentaries about Napoleno's Russia war and learned a lot, with map animations, showing historical clothing, guns, etc., and interviews by various experts, and it was fun to watch, with music and scene recreations, all in a matter of several hours. I don't see how a book could beat that. I imagine experts or enthusiasts of a particular subject may find reading books useful as additional sources of info, but for the average person I don't see much benefit. Maybe I missed something. What are your thoughts?
There's a lot here I will try to work through. It seems you have a misconception about what the writing gig is. For the most part, if you want to make money writing then it will be by applying for jobs and taking on clients. What I mean is, your passion for philosophy is probably going to be meaningless unless you get very lucky with a client who wants something on philosophy. Of course, you can pitch directly to magazines and publications that focus on this subject, but you are entering an ultra-competitve space and are unlikely to make enough for it to be your main job.

I will try to work through your specific questions:
How to do it, inlcuding publisher, agent, etc? Switch the agent and publisher around. The agent comes first and you will need one if you want to go down the publishing/book writing route. However, non-fiction book writing is next to impossible to break into unless you are very qualified. Fiction is also very hard to break into, but getting an agent is a good start. I am not sure if you know, but you don't choose your agent... they choose you.

If it's good will it get published? No, not really. I mean it can be good and get published and can be bad an get published. Just being good is not enough and in fact, agents and publishers look for what will sell not what is "good".

Are there huge challenges? Yes and no. The biggest challenge is getting an agent to believe in your work and be willing to represent it. Most people pitch endlessly without success and some pitch endlessly before an agent takes them on. That said, in theory there's nothing stopping the first manuscript you send being accepted by the first agent you send to.

The problem is here you seem to be talking about writing books. If that's all you want to do, I suppose you could go the self-publishing route. Personally, I would never do this unless the work really was something I though was special. Remember, agents and publishers work towards what sells, not what is good. However, I firmly believe self-publishing should be a last resort and only for a project you are truly passionate about. I am talking about fiction, non-fiction is slightly different because you could be an expert in a niche looking to directly tap into their cosnumer base.

When I say I am a writer and I make a living, it is not through publishing a novel every year. I am a for-hire writer that does written content both online and offline for clients. You seem to be more interested in becoming an author, which is fine, but on the acceptance that you probably won't make any money from it, even if you get published. I too write fiction and pitch my work, although 10 years of writing largley for clients has certainly done a lot to hamper my creativity.

If you are in any way interested in the professional writing scener, I can drop some advice with the caution that it is a long process to reach real success.

By the way, if I was you and had a major interest in doing some writing, I would find a way to like reading. Reading other authors, especially in the areas you are interested in, is perhaps the best learning material you have. That documentary taught you about the subject, but not about how to write, how to frame the subject in a digestible way, and so on.

There's a lot here I will try to work through. It seems you have a misconception about what the writing gig is. For the most part, if you want to make money writing then it will be by applying for jobs and taking on clients. What I mean is, your passion for philosophy is probably going to be meaningless unless you get very lucky with a client who wants something on philosophy. Of course, you can pitch directly to magazines and publications that focus on this subject, but you are entering an ultra-competitve space and are unlikely to make enough for it to be your main job.

I will try to work through your specific questions:
How to do it, inlcuding publisher, agent, etc? Switch the agent and publisher around. The agent comes first and you will need one if you want to go down the publishing/book writing route. However, non-fiction book writing is next to impossible to break into unless you are very qualified. Fiction is also very hard to break into, but getting an agent is a good start. I am not sure if you know, but you don't choose your agent... they choose you.

If it's good will it get published? No, not really. I mean it can be good and get published and can be bad an get published. Just being good is not enough and in fact, agents and publishers look for what will sell not what is "good".

Are there huge challenges? Yes and no. The biggest challenge is getting an agent to believe in your work and be willing to represent it. Most people pitch endlessly without success and some pitch endlessly before an agent takes them on. That said, in theory there's nothing stopping the first manuscript you send being accepted by the first agent you send to.

The problem is here you seem to be talking about writing books. If that's all you want to do, I suppose you could go the self-publishing route. Personally, I would never do this unless the work really was something I though was special. Remember, agents and publishers work towards what sells, not what is good. However, I firmly believe self-publishing should be a last resort and only for a project you are truly passionate about. I am talking about fiction, non-fiction is slightly different because you could be an expert in a niche looking to directly tap into their cosnumer base.

When I say I am a writer and I make a living, it is not through publishing a novel every year. I am a for-hire writer that does written content both online and offline for clients. You seem to be more interested in becoming an author, which is fine, but on the acceptance that you probably won't make any money from it, even if you get published. I too write fiction and pitch my work, although 10 years of writing largley for clients has certainly done a lot to hamper my creativity.

If you are in any way interested in the professional writing scener, I can drop some advice with the caution that it is a long process to reach real success.

By the way, if I was you and had a major interest in doing some writing, I would find a way to like reading. Reading other authors, especially in the areas you are interested in, is perhaps the best learning material you have. That documentary taught you about the subject, but not about how to write, how to frame the subject in a digestible way, and so on.

Thanks. That's probably the best advice I got so far. I looked into reading philosophy and watching it also on YouTube, and I don't mean to be rude, but I found the works generally to be too low level, full of false assumptions and things of that sort that make me want to jump out of my seat. It's physically hard for me to take. So it's not just the writing form, but also the content itself that makes it hard for me to try to read. At the end of the day they both use words, whether it's a video or a book, so perhaps there's some things to learn still about communication in general by consuming either. However, I suspect I'll probably should look into books more.

Ironically, philosophy is probably one my least studied subject if you look at my reading history or YouTube history, for the reason mentioned above. Yet also it's the subject which I think about the most. That's partly why I feel I can provide something good in the field. In some ways I'm one of the "dumbest" person's you'll ever meet when it comes to philosophy and the meaning of things. For example, for a long time I couldn't figure out what pride meant and hardly would use the word, and even now if you ask me what is objective vs. subjective, even though I looked it up in a dictionary many times, I'm still going to have a hard time understanding it. I suspect often it's because the ideas are full of presumptions and are more complicated than what we might think when we use them casually. This sort of "dumbness" has helped me find some things out in a more technical, less assuming way, and that sort of method or style if you want to call it, isn't something I can find easily in books or YouTube videos. Also, some of the writing I come across seems to be full of fluff or often called style, like it belongs in the realm of poetry the way they present the content, and at the end of reading it, if I last that long, I may find I just read mostly nonsense. I'm sure there are good authors out there and I'm keeping a list of authors I read in articles or seen on YouTube that impressed me, and I may try to contact them in the future as possible consultants or coauthors, or I may read more of their content. Will definitely have to do more research and look into reading more. Just so little time in the day being a full time worker. Sorry, don't mean to be a negative person, but that's the state of things as far as I've noticed.

Where I feel I may be having problems is in how to present the ideas. For example, how much to repeat an idea and explain it from various angles and how much to just say something and move to the next point. Also, what someone who reads my content might assume I'm saying when in fact I'm not. That's part of why I'm working on how much to repeat the content from various angles to make sure it's communicated better. I noticed some of these issues already and am trying to work on them.

In some ways my day job involves reading or scanning of written materials, though not books. Mostly emails, presentations, forms, white papers, you name it, anything that might exist on a computer hard drive, from all sort of industries/companies. All day long I review documents for litigation discovery purposes, to see if they're related to the case in question and how. That may actually help me for other writing jobs like copywriting, but not sure how much it helps for writing books.

What do you think about trying to contact some established authors of my subject, the authors I like, and see if I can hire them as consultants to read my finished content and let me know what they think? That way I may have some experts critique the content and at the same time might get my foot in the door if they like it, they might connect me with their contacts, or agree to be a coauthor if they have things to add to it. Is this a good idea? If so is it something that would be better done through the agent? Might be expensive to do though, their consultation fee.

Back