World Corruption Index for 2018 is out .....

You and Crema Americana are hilarious (I say this facetiously). You two love to shit on everything.

The US in indeed included in Transparency International's Index. Their 2017 index ranks the US 16th out of 140 countries, tied score-wise with Austria and Belgium. I would not be surprised to see a lower ranking for the US in the 2018 index.

I would almost be willing to bet you voted for Trump. ;)

Here it is,... Chile ranks number 14 amongst the 18 developed countries in the world.
Where did you see it on the list of the most corrupt countries? As per your original post:

"Argentina is nowhere on the list. Chile yes, Paraguay yes, Mexico yes,.... Argentina ???? No."

I do not find it hard to believe that Argentina did not make it to the top 30. There are 195 countries in the world. If you are ranked at #164 you can still be very corrupt without cracking the top 30 list.

Valenzuela TV I think that channel is most likely as stupid as their president dictator. And surely under his control. After the well the organized Ks thievery not to many options are left. Sad but true. To think the country has to be bailed out because of the K clan. And to think she is still in policits when she she should be hanging from a tree.

You and Crema Americana are hilarious (I say this facetiously). You two love to shit on everything.

Haha! What? Now, I do have a bad habit of saying “me cago en...” when things go pear shaped (spent a little too much time with my Spanish uncle) but it's not really true.

I was simply pointing out, tongue in cheek by the way, that corruption takes on different forms. Sure, I'm sure this list is very accurate when it comes to the most visible types of corruption - the unsophisticated and plain to see kind. But there's other “legal” or more sophisticated kind of corruption that has possibly much worse implications given the power that country holds and what they can start or set off.

Money in duffel bags is corrupt, but so is crony capitalism.
Police accepting bribes to let you off for a speeding ticket is corrupt, but so is police over surveillance and cover ups.

Just something to keep in mind with these lists.

Jan,... I know you mean well but Telesur is a Venezuelan TV network that was launched by Hugo Chavez of Venezuela back in 2005.
Its headquarters are in Caracas, Venezuela. If you're going to drink the kool-aid make sure you know who's making it.

I just heard in the news that two of the people arrested yesterday at the attack on Congreso were from Venezuela.
Is there a connection here or am I being paranoid?. Just what we need now,...people from other countries coming to Argentina to destroy the city and create chaos.

Where did you see it on the list of the most corrupt countries? As per your original post:

"Argentina is nowhere on the list. Chile yes, Paraguay yes, Mexico yes,.... Argentina ???? No."

I do not find it hard to believe that Argentina did not make it to the top 30. There are 195 countries in the world. If you are ranked at #164 you can still be very corrupt without cracking the top 30 list.

Not sure why nobody made this clear yet, so let's try and straighten things out.

The OP put out a link to a Business Insider article which attempts to regurgitate the WEF report's findings. And in the smattering of countries they mentioned, Argentina does not appear. Which means nothing at all, except that the editors at Business Insider don't care about Argentina.

If you actually want to read the report - not drill down or anything like that, mind you, just read the numbers as reported - you need to download the report, for starters. And because there is no table comparing the countries on the basis of corruption alone, you have to go to the country-by-country reports - those start on page 78 - and check line 1.14, "Incidence of Corruption". You can only check one country at a time, and need to check manually who's ahead of who. UPDATE: It turned out to be trivial to copy/paste the data into a capable text editor*, then use some regex patterns** to cast aside everything we don't need, and separate everything properly with tabs. I've attached a tab-separated text file, ready to paste into Excel or Google Sheets.

At the top of the list are all the countries you'd expect. Uruguay and Chile are the highest Latin American countries on the list, with Uruguay tied with France for 23rd place and Chile one below at 25th.
Argentina is right in the middle of the list, tied at 73rd with Benin, Kuwait, and Swaziland (now eSwatini), and a bit ahead of Brazil, Colombia and Peru. Sounds about right.
Ecuador and Bolivia are just above 100, Mexico and Paraguay close to the bottom, and the existence of Yemen saves Venezuela from being dead last.

*BBEdit, in case you were wondering.
** That'd be:
find (\n[A-z .,'ô]+ \d{1,3}[a-z]{2} \/ 140\n)([\s\S]+?)(?=1\.14 Incidence of corruption 0-100) and remove group 2;
find (1\.15 Property rights[\S\s]+?)(?=\n[A-z .,'ô]+ \d{1,3}[a-z]{2} \/ 140\n) and replace with nothing;
find (\n[A-z .,'ô]+ )(\d{1,3}[a-z]{2} \/ 140)(\n)(1\.14 Incidence of corruption 0-100 \(best\) )(\d{1,3}\.\d )(\d{1,3}\.\d) (\d{1,3})( New Zealand\n) and keep only groups 1, 6, and 7, separated by tabs.

Attachments

• wef corruption rankings.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
And it appears that the guy who keeps on hurling "google expert" as an insult, is projecting.
He seems to be far better at regurgitating crap Google searches than doing any serious reading.

Some follow-up points:

1. So it's great to upload an attachment and see how many people viewed it. Less great is that it only works with some types of files, Excel doesn't work. Even though the file I uploaded opens in Excel perfectly, I had to give it a .txt extension, which means that by default it opens in a text editor and isn't super readable. So: you can download the file then drag it to Excel, and it will open. Or just open it, click Ctrl-A (or ⌘-A) and copy/paste into Excel (or Google Sheets).
2. OK, so was a (nearly) trivial issue to get it all sorted but I still probably wouldn't have done it had I known it would be viewed by all of 6 people.
3. Putting the region next to each country - thus making it sortable - would have been far more work, then again would have made it far more useful.
4. Why were only 140 countries analyzed, and not all? OK, no NK doesn't work b/c getting serious data is impossible. Is that the deal with all countries that didn't make the list?

Back