Worlds best kept secret ( Argentina)

Not sure about the other things - But I did buy 4 Kg of spuds in the local supermercado for 5 pesos.....

bigmike said:
Seemingly fairly scientific (by economists) on-going (daily) tracking of inflation (mostly around groceries) in Buenos Aires: http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

Who are BBP?

Who are Roberto Rigobo and Eduardo Cavallo?

And who control them?

To which interest they respond?..... and this is the crucial and the most important point.

No all what you read is the reality of the matter.

Lucas said:
Who are BBP?

Who are Roberto Rigobo and Eduardo Cavallo?

And who control them?

To which interest they respond?..... and this is the crucial and the most important point.

No all what you read is the reality of the matter.

Pretty sinister activity reporting on grocery store prices, I wonder who is behind it CIA or local coup plotters.

You tell me..... the prices are directly attached to the foreign debt of this country and misinformation is rampant on both sides of the equation as everyone are defending their interest.

Right, prices are soaring. Jam was 12 pesos at the market yesterday. the crummy sugar filled juice was 5, milk is up again. everytime i go to a store things are more. soaring prices and quality that is just a fraction of back home. maybe thats why all the people in the street look so miserable.

Well, some changes that I've noticed since 2009: the bag of "American-style" spinach that I buy at Disco used to be $8.49, and is now $12.49. Pasta de maní was $13.10, and is now $16 and change. Canela has gone up from $2.45 to $3.10, and pre-washed rucula from $6.39 to $7.39. Actually, if you want to do a y-o-y price comparison, just check your receipt -- that chain has a charming habit of forgetting to update the price tags after raising prices, so the item frequently rings up as more expensive than advertised.

Even at Hausbrot, whose prices I still consider very reasonable for fresh organic bread, I've noticed an increase of between 50 cents and 1 peso per loaf.

brocolliandtea said:
Right, prices are soaring. Jam was 12 pesos at the market yesterday. the crummy sugar filled juice was 5, milk is up again. everytime i go to a store things are more. soaring prices and quality that is just a fraction of back home. maybe thats why all the people in the street look so miserable.

People on the street don't look miserable to me - Broccoli must be seeing things through a distorting, very personal "misery" filter. Which only allows "miserable" things in, while keeping everything else out.

Lady, or sir, please, do yourself and Argentina a favor: take your misery "back home", wherever that happens to be, and leave us poor misguided natives free to be happy in this awful place.

Sara

starlucia said:
pre-washed rucula from $6.39 to $7.39.

You can buy 3 packets of rucula for 5 pesos --- at a verduleria in Las Canitas -- I can only imagine it will be much cheaper in other barrios.

No one buys verduras at the supermarket unless they happen to be there and it's a convenience, but you can get fresher and cheaper stuff at the verdulerias.

We only go to the supermarket every 8 weeks or so -- we go to a frigorifica for all of our meat every 8-12weeks (out in Mataderos, very good meat at very good prices) and buy all veg at verdulerias, and otherwise just pick up milk and small things at the chino (which have good prices), so the only thing we go to the supermarket for really are things like cereals, cleaning supplies, maybe dried pasta or rice (although most of that we buy in Barrio Chino). Other things like dried beans etc we buy either at the dietetica or in barrio chino.

Once you stop shopping at the supermarket you can actually lower your gastos quite a bit.

syngirl said:
You can buy 3 packets of rucula for 5 pesos --- at a verduleria in Las Canitas -- I can only imagine it will be much cheaper in other barrios.

No one buys verduras at the supermarket unless they happen to be there and it's a convenience, but you can get fresher and cheaper stuff at the verdulerias.

We only go to the supermarket every 8 weeks or so -- we go to a frigorifica for all of our meat every 8-12weeks (out in Mataderos, very good meat at very good prices) and buy all veg at verdulerias, and otherwise just pick up milk and small things at the chino (which have good prices), so the only thing we go to the supermarket for really are things like cereals, cleaning supplies, maybe dried pasta or rice (although most of that we buy in Barrio Chino). Other things like dried beans etc we buy either at the dietetica or in barrio chino.

Once you stop shopping at the supermarket you can actually lower your gastos quite a bit.

And spend a lot less time in queues:eek:

Back