Worlds best kept secret ( Argentina)

syngirl said:
You can buy 3 packets of rucula for 5 pesos --- at a verduleria in Las Canitas -- I can only imagine it will be much cheaper in other barrios.

No one buys verduras at the supermarket unless they happen to be there and it's a convenience, but you can get fresher and cheaper stuff at the verdulerias.

We only go to the supermarket every 8 weeks or so -- we go to a frigorifica for all of our meat every 8-12weeks (out in Mataderos, very good meat at very good prices) and buy all veg at verdulerias, and otherwise just pick up milk and small things at the chino (which have good prices), so the only thing we go to the supermarket for really are things like cereals, cleaning supplies, maybe dried pasta or rice (although most of that we buy in Barrio Chino). Other things like dried beans etc we buy either at the dietetica or in barrio chino.

Once you stop shopping at the supermarket you can actually lower your gastos quite a bit.

No kidding... but, although I hate to admit it, the one thing I will patronize Disco for is the pre-washed greens :eek: I went through the process of sorting, washing, drying, and chopping my own salad greens exactly once, and after looking around my drenched, arugula-strewn kitchenette, said, "The extra 4 pesos are totally worth getting someone else to do this for me" ;)

AdrianaY said:
You are miserable fool for living in a place you do not like . Get out of Buenos Aires its not hard I did and STOP COMPLAINING LIKE A PORTENO .

Why is everyone on this website always accusing people of things they did not say. This person never said they did not like living here. She is simply concerned about having enough money to eat.

I am too, but that doesn't mean I don't like living here. There's a good and bad side to everything and I though these forums were supposed to be about helping each other with the bad things and allowing for people to get their worries off their chests. Why are people always so mean on the internet? Would you really say something like this to somebody's face?

laureltp said:
Why is everyone on this website always accusing people of things they did not say. This person never said they did not like living here. She is simply concerned about having enough money to eat.

I am too, but that doesn't mean I don't like living here. There's a good and bad side to everything and I though these forums were supposed to be about helping each other with the bad things and allowing for people to get their worries off their chests. Why are people always so mean on the internet? Would you really say something like this to somebody's face?

I wouldn't say all people on the internet, it just seems to be a lot of people on this forum.

It's more like a troll with multiple screen names and a lot of free time. :rolleyes: just ignore and you'll find this place more enjoyable.

syngirl said:
You can buy 3 packets of rucula for 5 pesos --- at a verduleria in Las Canitas -- I can only imagine it will be much cheaper in other barrios.

No one buys verduras at the supermarket unless they happen to be there and it's a convenience, but you can get fresher and cheaper stuff at the verdulerias.

We only go to the supermarket every 8 weeks or so -- we go to a frigorifica for all of our meat every 8-12weeks (out in Mataderos, very good meat at very good prices) and buy all veg at verdulerias, and otherwise just pick up milk and small things at the chino (which have good prices), so the only thing we go to the supermarket for really are things like cereals, cleaning supplies, maybe dried pasta or rice (although most of that we buy in Barrio Chino). Other things like dried beans etc we buy either at the dietetica or in barrio chino.

Once you stop shopping at the supermarket you can actually lower your gastos quite a bit.

I don't shop for veggies at the supermarket. I was just giving a readily available price (ie, looking it up online) as I don't remember what each of those items in question is going for at the verdurerias. I've noticed that each verdureria has their own price.

You have to find a good verdureria though. It's happened more than once that I've come home to find stuff that needed to be trashed right away. Now I just go to the one. He always gives me good stuff & tells me what I asked for is ready, needs to wait or is past it's prime. Then I can decide if I want it anyway or not.

Originally Posted by brocolliandtea
Right, prices are soaring. Jam was 12 pesos at the market yesterday. the crummy sugar filled juice was 5, milk is up again. everytime i go to a store things are more. soaring prices and quality that is just a fraction of back home. maybe thats why all the people in the street look so miserable.

AdrianaY said:
You are miserable fool for living in a place you do not like . Get out of Buenos Aires its not hard I did and STOP COMPLAINING LIKE A PORTENO .

Good on you brocolliandtea you are now a full blood Argie, no one will notice the difference with the real thing, you should now join the piqueteros and complain about anything and everything until you drop death.

Congratulations!!

Sometimes I wonder at the amazing diversity of experiences, both here in the city, and here on the site.

Adriana, Lucas, et al, not all people are as free financially to go away as you imagine. Some people have circumstances financial, familial, professional, that keep them here even though they don't really like it. That must be true in all cities in the world.

I have an idea, if you don't like people using an Internet forum to complain about your country, then why don't YOU go away. This is a forum for expats living in Buenos Aires and every time I'm on here there are more and more Portenios bitching about the bitching. People bitch to their tribes, it's human nature. Of course, it's also natural for you not to like that they are bitching about YOUR tribe, so don't listen. Argentines talk trash about other people from other countries. I don't want to hear it, so I don't go to forums where people are talking trash about my country. I don't argue their right to express themselves to people who share their experience. No one should. Argentines who live in the states should be able to go online and complain to their fellows without me jumping all over them.

Really, I mean, get a life...

laureltp said:

I disagree. Broccoli is not just concerned about making al living here - he/she virulently dislikes anything and everything about Buenos Aires.

Ugliness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Sara

Back