Would anyone be interested in a fiction writers group?

Shorter is not necessarily easier. Mark Twain famously said after receiving a telegram requesting 200 words in two days. His response (more or less).

"Can't do it. Can do 1000 words in 2 days, or 200 words in 5 days."

As a broadcaster, I know how tough it can be to be concise.

This is slightly off topic, but I'm curious where writers in Buenos Aires do their writing, and their reading. I've been spending a lot of time in the Biblioteca Nacional, which is great, and also at a number of local cafes. I love the fact that one cup of coffee can buy an full afternoon of writer's office space, often with wifi. Yet I can't help but wonder if there are other mood-setting locations to commit thought to paper, and vice versa.

Maybe a good way to organize the readings would be to have everyone that wanted to have something read that week send an email to everyone by some appointed day, say, Wednesday. Everyone should read the texts and take notes of their thoughts. The author(s) would have to bring a copy just for themselves to read to the group at the meeting. I guess I really don't want to have to print a bunch of copies (it's annoying and can get expensive here if you don't have a printer). Plus, I always end up with a bunch of extra copies of my own work. Anyway, that would just be one idea and I know that a lot of people would prefer to have a paper copy. Maybe this is something we should discuss at our first meeting?

I haven't done any creative writing in a while, but I would be up for it!

katie, I think maybe that's the best idea....have the first meeting as an informal ice breaking one and discuss the logistics for the 2nd meeting.

so....everyone ok with march 28th? morning or afternoon?

I definitely vote for the afternoon. I know myself and my weekend habits all too well ;).

OK, we're starting to get somewhere. Icebreaking meetup on 28th in the afternoon. It will have to be after 3pm for me.

I'll PM everyone in this thread later today.

In that first meeting, we can discuss how we want to proceed and how to do the reading and story sharing. I think Katie's idea was good - will actually cut down on the printing out which is great for me as I don't have one!

Keep me in mind for the 28th as well. I really need to get back into an intense writing schedule while I have my free time instead of wasting it worrying over when my money's gonna run out ;)

FAS said:
This is slightly off topic, but I'm curious where writers in Buenos Aires do their writing, and their reading. I've been spending a lot of time in the Biblioteca Nacional, which is great, and also at a number of local cafes. I love the fact that one cup of coffee can buy an full afternoon of writer's office space, often with wifi. Yet I can't help but wonder if there are other mood-setting locations to commit thought to paper, and vice versa.

It's a good question. I myself usually went to libraries when I was in the States. I've never been much of a cafe-goer because I generally have an aversion to steaming-hot beverages, but cafes are worth a visit now and then, mainly for jotting down ideas and overheard snippets of conversation rather than pounding out a novel. Here, whenever writing in public, I stick to legal pads; I've heard far too many warnings about laptop theft. Even though I'm usually pretty attentive to my belongings, I'm playing it safe for now.

Back