Would Life Here Be Easier If I Didn't Read This Site?

lucha54

Registered
I love this community in the way that we help each other, warn each other, lift each other up when we are feeling down...

But sometimes I wonder if the challenging life here would be just a little easier if I wasn't exposed to news about all the bad shit that happens to other forum members. This is a place where we pool or collective bad luck / hard times, and the whole always feels much bigger than the sum of its parts.

Life is hard enough just for me without having to hear about how much harder it is for everyone else. Sure, it offers some perspective, thinking "at least THIS didn't happen to me, at least THAT didn't happen to me [yet]" but it also generates a kind of low-lying anxiety that it MIGHT happen to me someday.

I wish there was a 'bad news' filter on here. But I guess life doesn't have a 'bad news' filter either and maybe it's wishful thinking. If every city had a forum like this, would it really be the same amount/proportion of complaining about the bad stuff?

anyway sorry, maybe I'm just in a mood.

redblue_pill.jpg

I love this community in the way that we help each other, warn each other, lift each other up when we are feeling down...

But sometimes I wonder if the challenging life here would be just a little easier if I wasn't exposed to news about all the bad shit that happens to other forum members. This is a place where we pool or collective bad luck / hard times, and the whole always feels much bigger than the sum of its parts.

Life is hard enough just for me without having to hear about how much harder it is for everyone else. Sure, it offers some perspective, thinking "at least THIS didn't happen to me, at least THAT didn't happen to me [yet]" but it also generates a kind of low-lying anxiety that it MIGHT happen to me someday.

I wish there was a 'bad news' filter on here. But I guess life doesn't have a 'bad news' filter either and maybe it's wishful thinking. If every city had a forum like this, would it really be the same amount/proportion of complaining about the bad stuff?

anyway sorry, maybe I'm just in a mood.

Before filtering the bad news here, stop watching TV. that's what I do since about 4 years and that's just great (I have a 50" LED TV though, but that's only to watch HD movies I select + some soccer/rugby games)

I had an excellent day yesterday. After 6 months of searching, 4 failed attempts to señar, 2 weeks of averiguaciones, a small suit case full of cash and an 11th hour cold feet crisis with our guarantor, I was finally able to rent the most amazing house and at a steal of a price.

It was incredibly stressful, the number of houses for rent in capital almost nothing and even considering our ample price range and our openness to huge variety of barrios meant that we were hitting the refresh button on the browser every morning hoping for a new option.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and have been grinning like a fool since yesterday!

Just so you know it's not all doom and gloom with your internet buddies :)

Life is hard enough just for me without having to hear about how much harder it is for everyone else.

I was thinking the opposite this morning. While I randomly read posts in between our decision to move and the actual move to Argentina, I thought that those things happened only to tourists, mostly Americans, because they are an easy target for scammers and not prepared as well as someone from another Latin country. I thought also that limited Spanish knowledge or just an accent was a serious flag. In one line, I thought what I read here would never happen to me.

Three months after our arrival, I deem this forum an invaluable tool to at least try to prevent some of the scams/downturns of the Argentinian life.

A good news: was talking about a baby I'm taking care of since she was born (long story), and I'm about to finalize the papers, etc. I cooked for her baguettes of bread yesterday and a "chocolate volcano" (among other things), she was very happy!

Frenchie, please post your baguettes recipe if you get a chance (are you using a machine?) We're starting to think of getting a machine. For now no machine so I've just been making 18hr ciabatta (no knead) My mum gave me a hand mixer with a bread dough attachment but it has no stand so I'll have to give it a go and see if it's really strong enough to do a dough.

After a trip home my son has rejected media lunas, he just wants proper croissants now! I have never attempted, seems it is probably an awful lot of work to do from scratch. Have you made?

BTW I was in Recoleta yesterday and made the error of picking up some bread from Le Pain Quotidien. Maybe they need to change their name to Le pain de il y a trois jours.... I was short on time so did not eat there, picked up an almond croissant and a loaf of olive bread. What regrets. The croissant must have been deep fried it was so ridiculously crusty (or as I say, made 3 days ago), it was terrible, i should have just tried a normal croissant but I had a craving for pain au chocolat and the amandes was just the acceptable alternative. If the olive loaf was from that morning they must be using lead in the recipe. Ridiculously dense and not in a good way. Extremely dry, at the end of the day will probably end up just drying it out to make croutons as I see no other use for it. While paying I saw they had madeleines, I think after trying the croissant I'm glad I didn't waste the 40 pesos on those, I can't imagine they would have been any better. Maybe I got them on a bad day but I will stick with L'Epi in the future, that is close to me anyway.

Back