Would you move a family to Argentina...?

clooz said:
Are you now in the center of a major city, or in a smaller city, town or suburb?

Doesn't sound entirely like the USA I lived in for 30 years and re-visited last month. Last month, lines in the US grocery store I lived near were longer and slower than in my Coto. The post offices - now privatized are unreliable, slow, rude, overpriced. Read yelp for the litany of complaints. The down-sized police department in Mountain View in bankrupt CA no longer investigate home break-ins. The auto repair shops were sleezy as ever. Bank ATM's were very efficient at dispensing only local currency in 20's. Paycheck lenders are still making a killing. A Starbucks on every corner.

Too many people are painting the USA as a Nirvana when all figures prove a different story . I suggest to the readers to click on this link about life in a normal american city is like with its myriad of crime and corruption . Actually makes Buenos Aires seem like paradise in comparison:D

http://www.vegasrex.com/2010/08/10-worst-things-about-living-in-las-vegas/

Raymond said:
Too many people are painting the USA as a Nirvana when all figures prove a different story . I suggest to the readers to click on this link about life in a normal american city is like with its myriad of crime and corruption . Actually makes Buenos Aires seem like paradise in comparison:D

http://www.vegasrex.com/2010/08/10-worst-things-about-living-in-las-vegas/

I'm the first person to admit that the US if far from Nirvana, but if you think Las Vegas is a normal American city, you obviously don't know very much either.

trennod said:
Dont know Santiago and Chiang Mai but I am not sure here is your answer. Have spent a few days in Lima and reckon its pretty cool, in fact one of the partners in my office was raving to me about Lima the other day (she just came back from 2 years there). Have you been to those cities before that you mention?

I've been to all of the Asian cities as I worked in China, Korea, & Mongolia and ventured about. Now working in Saudi Arabia. I keep hoping for S. American assignment but it hasn't happened. I get 10 weeks paid vacation a year wiht paid flights anywehre so I plan to see BsAs, Lima & Santiago within the next year.

Mad Hatter said:
I've been to all of the Asian cities as I worked in China, Korea, & Mongolia and ventured about. Now working in Saudi Arabia. I keep hoping for S. American assignment but it hasn't happened. I get 10 weeks paid vacation a year wiht paid flights anywehre so I plan to see BsAs, Lima & Santiago within the next year.

Ah... I am now in BsAs, came from the Middle East about 1 year ago... may plan to move back to M. East.. No not Saudi but only for Abu Dhabi or Doha, where it is freer and my wife can actually drive and not wear a veil or an abaya...Life in Middle East is simple but nice for white collared expats... crime is extremely low, salary is tax free, cost of living is decent, can have 7-10 weeks of paid vacations... and easy access to Asia or Europe. But there is more life here, the culture, the people, language, all really fascinating to me...

sleslie23 said:
I'm the first person to admit that the US if far from Nirvana, but if you think Las Vegas is a normal American city, you obviously don't know very much either.

Las Vegas is as normal as Detroit, St Louis, New Orleans, Camden , Atlanta,Cleveland,Cicinatti. Philadelphia and many many other normal american cities .
Las Vegas has over 1 million people in its greater metropitan area making it a important city .

Maybe for you only Los Angeles and New York count ?

Raymond said:
Las Vegas is as normal as Detroit, St Louis, New Orleans, Camden , Atlanta,Cleveland,Cicinatti. Philadelphia and many many other normal american cities .
Las Vegas has over 1 million people in its greater metropitan area making it a important city .

You're reading into my post something that I didn't say. Have you been to Las Vegas? If so, you will realize that it is quite different that those cities you mentioned. Although they have tried to attract other industries in recent years, the economy of Las Vegas is primarily tied to gambling and the various, often sundry, industries it supports.

Also, did you read the article you linked to? The author, in between his semi-racist rants, was mostly complaining about the transient population and issues related to its primary industry.

But just say whatever crap pops into your head. Like I said in my post, I don't consider the US to be Nirvana. But, again, if you think Las Vegas is a typical city in the US, you don't know much about either.

Raymond said:

I would not say that Las Vegas is "normal".

I have cousins (two families) that live in a decent suburb and a high school friend that lives in a gated community... that has a gated section INSIDE the gated community to keep the affluent from the über-rich.

It has a lot of people, but it is NOT "normal". But then again, Detroit isn't anymore either. The actual city is turning into a ghost town.

Mad Hatter said:

Thats probably the best thing you can do, is come down here and see them for yourselves. Obviously, its nothing like living here yourself but next best thing.

Dipoots said:
Ah... I am now in BsAs, came from the Middle East about 1 year ago... may plan to move back to M. East.. No not Saudi but only for Abu Dhabi or Doha, where it is freer and my wife can actually drive and not wear a veil or an abaya...Life in Middle East is simple but nice for white collared expats... crime is extremely low, salary is tax free, cost of living is decent, can have 7-10 weeks of paid vacations... and easy access to Asia or Europe. But there is more life here, the culture, the people, language, all really fascinating to me...

Saudi is only good for making money....fun is illegal here. But abu dhabi or doha are both quite nice & better than anyone in the u.s. realize. We have to go the bahrain for a beer which is about 3.5 hr drive for me....but heading there for the weekend in a few hours.

i'll be eligible for a pension and investment income of enough to live comfortable in s. America or asia within 18 months....it would be a squeeze to live comfortably in the u.s. until eligible for ss & medicare in 12 more years.

I have spent a considerable amount of time reading through the entries in this forum. It has been intriguing to hear the comments from people with families who are experiencing Argentina's economic downturn. From my vantage point, the increasing inflation, loss of jobs, and food shortages is very serious. The health of Argentina, from a family perspective, is seen through the net emigration of couples with children. My hope is your newly re-elected leadership will take these matters to heart and concentrate on economic growth. She should be encouraged to stay focused on that goal and not be distracted.

Later in the year, I plan to visit. I look forward to bringing my family to experience the richness of the Argentinian culture, lands and most importantly, its people. It is not a good vital sign when families are relocating elsewhere.

Back