WTF Teatro Colon?!

So. I just got word from Daviddc that the concerts on Sun. at 11hs are FREE.

Having "affordable" tickets for performances means the money has to be made up from somewhere folks!

Having "FREE" tickets for performances means the money has to be made up from somewhere Homer D'OH!

homer-doh-square.jpg

I was once told by a driver that only selected cabs can tout for business at the airports and ports and if your not one of them then you just have to hover around nearby.

He said it is a mafia thing, whatever that is.

It's a fact. The taxi stops at the airports and other ports are "handled" by their own mafia. Regular taxis can drop off passengers but not pick up new fares or wait in line. Otherwise they will be harassed. Attacked by the fellows that hover around those stops. Only certain "paying members" are "authorized" to service those venues. You risk having your cab damaged or your face restructured. As a rule, I avoid using their services. Some unfortunate passengers don't make a 100 yards before being mugged.

This is just about expectations and attitude. I have travelled over 30 countries and worked in 5 countries and i really believe that as a tourist Argentina is one of the most beautiful and interesting places for a holiday (although i don't count BA as a great city of the world but that is another topic) however you can only experience it with enough cash. It is not for budget trips, it's not great for backpackers, it's not bolivia or peru or ecuador. As a tourist in Argentina to really have a good time and experience it you have to have the same price expectations as you would have if visiting France/Italy/Spain. If you go with realistic expectations of costs then you can have a great time. The whole "european prices but we are not in europe" attitude will make you very bitter. No you are not in Europe, you are in Argentina, a new world country where prices are similar to Europe, similar to New Zealand etc. When my friends with well paid jobs go to South America i tell them Argentina is the highlight. When my friends who only recently completed their studies go i tell them about peru. Argentina is expensive but it is beautiful, let people enjoy their holiday by being honest with them from world go about what they will get for their money while they are there.

Also just to add the Teatro Colon is amazing. Just pay the ticket and enjoy the experience, a visit to the Teatro will make you richer.

Back