WTF Teatro Colon?!

I'm entertained by the efforts of some of the natives to demonstrate their facility with the English language and in one case the supercillious correction of someone's math. More significantly, I'm surprised (though perhaps I shouldn't be) how justifying higher prices for non-residents morphs into justifying outright illegal price gouging such as the pass given to dishonest port taxis. Che, the important question is not whether the correct expression is "Argentina should be for Argentines" or "Argentina should be accessible to Argentines." Rather, it is "what is fair and ethical for non-Argentines."

I can comprehend the argument that it is fair to charge non-residents a higher tarriff to access municipal and government owned venues. Locals presumably pay taxes that either create or support those venues be they museums, parks, or the Colon. An entry price for non-residents of twice what locals pay doesn't offend me (ten times does). However, just as I refuse to pay $25 to enter the MOMA in NYC, I personally would not pay US$25 for a 45 minute tour of the Colon unless I was convinced it was really worth it. It may be.

What I perceive as not fair is a higher price for entry to non-governental, commercial venues. For example, I do not understand why a non-resident should pay more to enter the fairs at La Rural, to see a tango extravaganza, or for passage on a privately owned airline. And what I perceive as really unethical is the outright cheating engaged in by taxis at the port. To justify such cheating on the grounds that tourists are fair game because they earn more is insidious nonsense. Would it be okay for a restaurant to overcharge (cheat) a non-resident on that basis...

Don't cheat tourists because they live in more affluent societies. If you want to level the economic playing field, elect a government that can implement effective policies that will eventually bring Argentines closer to those tourists in purchasing power. That the entry fee to the Colon tour almost doubled in one fell swoop (if I may be permitted to round off) is symptomatic of the inefficiency of current government.

p.s. Let's not confuse "mala onda" with righteous indignation. If locals bear in mind the righteous indignation of visitors, they may even be inspired to take corrective action. And to the extent some local crookster thinks I'm creating mala onda if I were to bust him and give him a hard time, then I say he deserves it and more.

ArgentinaTravel.us said:
We've taken many of our North American guests to the Teatro Colon tour and they all love it. It is a highlight for many.

Considering the price of a plane ticket down here is $1000+ the investment of $20 in an enriching experience that provides insight into Argentina when it was on its way to becoming the wealthiest nation on earth is educational and enlightening.

It is not only part of Argentine history, it is part of Europe's history and is important to the history of the performing arts. For its opening, and thereafter, many great European talents travelled by steamship to perform here.

The building itself is both opulent and architecturally speaking designed perfectly for acoustics. It's acoustics are ranked 2nd in the world just behind La Scala.

So after investing her time and cash to travel all the way down here I suggest you swing for the for twenty or twenty-five bucks. I am sure Grandma will be happy you did.

La Scala was recently refurbished as well. Does it charge 4-5x as much for non-italians to see the place? I think not! Trying to justify that Argentinians should be able to charge non-residents much more than residents is just foolish and stupid. Do we not pay taxes here as well? Do visitors not contribute substantially to the economy with the money they spend to vacation here? Charging more than says a 15-20% increase is just typically Argentine. It's not about anything more than thinking they can get away with robbing people for more money similar to when a taxi driver says you gave him a fake bill or he gives you one...it's 3rd world thinking and the reason why this country continues to be a disaster, economically and politically.

alpac said:
I'm entertained by the efforts of some of the natives to demonstrate their facility with the English language and in one case the supercillious correction of someone's math. More significantly, I'm surprised (though perhaps I shouldn't be) how justifying higher prices for non-residents morphs into justifying outright illegal price gouging such as the pass given to dishonest port taxis. Che, the important question is not whether the correct expression is "Argentina should be for Argentines" or "Argentina should be accessible to Argentines." Rather, it is "what is fair and ethical for non-Argentines."

I can comprehend the argument that it is fair to charge non-residents a higher tarriff to access municipal and government owned venues. Locals presumably pay taxes that either create or support those venues be they museums, parks, or the Colon. An entry price for non-residents of twice what locals pay doesn't offend me (ten times does). However, just as I refuse to pay $25 to enter the MOMA in NYC, I personally would not pay US$25 for a 45 minute tour of the Colon unless I was convinced it was really worth it. It may be.

What I perceive as not fair is a higher price for entry to non-governental, commercial venues. For example, I do not understand why a non-resident should pay more to enter the fairs at La Rural, to see a tango extravaganza, or for passage on a privately owned airline. And what I perceive as really unethical is the outright cheating engaged in by taxis at the port. To justify such cheating on the grounds that tourists are fair game because they earn more is insidious nonsense. Would it be okay for a restaurant to overcharge (cheat) a non-resident on that basis...

Don't cheat tourists because they live in more affluent societies. If you want to level the economic playing field, elect a government that can implement effective policies that will eventually bring Argentines closer to those tourists in purchasing power. That the entry fee to the Colon tour almost doubled in one fell swoop (if I may be permitted to round off) is symptomatic of the inefficiency of current government.

p.s. Let's not confuse "mala onda" with righteous indignation. If locals bear in mind the righteous indignation of visitors, they may even be inspired to take corrective action. And to the extent some local crookster thinks I'm creating mala onda if I were to bust him and give him a hard time, then I say he deserves it and more.

Preach it, I say!

This made my day.

solerboy said:
I do hope INDEC remember to put it into their calculations !

I'm sure they'll offset it somehow, you know, like keeping the freakin' BigMac cheaper and off the menus!

Royal Opera House (London) tour prices: £10.50 full price; £9.50 seniors; £7 students. Full price = $73 pesos.
Guides are highly professional and knowledgeable. When I took the tour two years ago we were led by an articulate employee who had been employed by ROH for several decades.

Alpac, your insightful and nicely written comments continue to warm the heart of this old Yankee ex-patriot. Keep up the good work!

alpac said:
what I perceive as really unethical is the outright cheating engaged in by taxis at the port. To justify such cheating on the grounds that tourists are fair game because they earn more is insidious nonsense.

I don't think the price gouging by taxistas at the port is limited to foreigners

The most recent time I took the Buquebus (not very recently btw, probably a year ago), we encountered a huge crowd waiting for few taxis. My Argentine friend suggested we walk out of the terminal area because it would be faster - and the taxistas always overcharge there.

Once down Córdoba a couple blocks, we found a few groups of Argentines doing the same thing. And all mumbling about the taxista ladrones.

It's an official practice isn't it - this higher rate from port to town. I didn't think it was a two-tier pricing but everyone had to pay a set rate from port to wherever. (just like from airport to wherever). I always walk a few blocks when I have to come in on the ferry and hail a cab where it goes by meter.

citygirl said:
It's an official practice isn't it - this higher rate from port to town. I didn't think it was a two-tier pricing but everyone had to pay a set rate from port to wherever. (just like from airport to wherever). I always walk a few blocks when I have to come in on the ferry and hail a cab where it goes by meter.

I was once told by a driver that only selected cabs can tout for business at the airports and ports and if your not one of them then you just have to hover around nearby.

He said it is a mafia thing, whatever that is.

Back