Xmas Rental Nightmare - Advice Please - Where To From Here ?

I asked once, 'why are there so many empty apartments here'... Apparently people don't mind waiting a bit to find the right tenant because once they are in it's very difficult to get them out....

Well I'm still in mine by the looks of it (touch wood). I think we'll think about it again after Yule... Its that time of the year where you really don't want to have to think about this stuff...

Update guys - its on again - the landlady from hell just called tonight to say that she expects us to vacate the apartment shortly - myself and partner are due to see the husband on Monday to pay the rent as we normally do at this time of the month - we do NOT have another apartment to move to at such short notice and are both working such long hours that to stop right now to pack/move apartment would probably cost my partner her job (yes, her boss is like that) and would definitely cause me problems with mine as well. We are going to start off on Monday by trying to be nice - but I believe that then, if reason does not prevail we will have to get ugly - I do not intend to move apartment right now at this time of year just because the landlady goes back on the agreement she made with us both saying that we were free to renew the contract every 6 months for as long as we wanted - the ONLY reason we took the apartment in the first place - we are both older and getting sick and tired of having to move apartment every couple of years (may not sound like much when you are in your 20s but we are both in our 50s now...).

I really can't believe it - the day started with a GOOD result - I am now almost FINISHED with my citizenship process - it looks like I will have my citizenship within days - or at least have my letter to present to get my DNI etc. Believe it or not myself and my partner had a celebratory lunch today because after nearly 4 years we finally had a result with this (no thanks to the lawyer I paid 2000 dollars US to to supposedly do this for me - and who basically did nothing - but thats another story...) Anyway, any advise on battle plan or strategy would be well received at this time - I don't want to ''lose it'' - I want to take the bes approach to this (tactically speaking) but to be honest I am not feeling very ''objective'' right now - I can't remember any other place I have lived where I have had such rental nightmare experiences as here - and I have lived in a lot of different countries and places... I mean, I really like the country (or else I would not have applied for citizenship) and there are a lot of good things - but the average Argentine landlord or landlady? Lets just say I am *not* impressed... :(

Unfortunately the inmobiliaria is correct, there is no law regarding this. If you want to renew you had better start talking to them because otherwise your lease is over the day it's over. If you want to see what the rental laws are read the "Ley de Alquileres 23.091".

Hi David - I don't think the final day is until the 11th of January (from memory) but just to make matters worse we are right now tearing the apartment apart trying to find the rental contract - the only piece of paper we can't find right now :( Thanks for the tip re: rental laws - I will google that and start doing some reading...

David - this is what I am reading now (posting the link that has done the ''google translate'' on it): http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Finfoleg.mecon.gov.ar%2FinfolegInternet%2Fanexos%2F25000-29999%2F27287%2Fnorma.htm&act=url

(PS I haven't read it all yet but from what I can see it DOES LOOK like rental of an apartment - no matter what is done in an individual contract - is TWO YEARS...)

Unfortunately the inmobiliaria is correct, there is no law regarding this. If you want to renew you had better start talking to them because otherwise your lease is over the day it's over. If you want to see what the rental laws are read the "Ley de Alquileres 23.091".
Thanks for the info. Will probably have to play hardball with the owner even though we still can't contact them. It's crazy they can string people along, it's not easy to find another apartment in less than a month and move everything, paint etc.

Juanito that ley de alquileres refers to 2 yr leases, this is not your case Your is a temp touristic rental and there are basically no laws tht protect you here. Tell me , where you given a full official invoice when you rented it? Are you paying this rent in cash or bank transfer? Are you given an official receipt? I smell tax evasion here, which in this case is your friend. I will email you later, but please try to find your contract asap.

Back