Xoom Vs Ria

I am in the United States and sending money to my brother in law in Buenos Aires. They say he can pick up US $ at Banco Frances. I will post here if this is successful. The locations for cash pickup are a lot better than with Xoom.

I am in the United States and sending money to my brother in law in Buenos Aires. They say he can pick up US $ at Banco Frances. I will post here if this is successful. The locations for cash pickup are a lot better than with Xoom.

That is a mistake all the sites have. It's pesos only in Argentina.

sinagua980--I'm stuck with Ria at the bank verification phase. I've received the two deposits but I cannot seem to verify the account via the website. I just get a reminder message when I push the red "Verify" button.

Just passed the bank verification process. Now, I'm waiting for the transaction to go through.

Have you called them to see if you can send money to yourself? Don't give them your info, just ask about their policy. 1-877-443-1399

After a week of phone calls and paperwork the money finally dispensed at Banco Frances, at the official rate of 5.24 :mad: . This is after a week of emails from my brother in law going to the bank and giving personal information, the transaction finally went through. I should not have asked for dollars, since Ria was willing to pay 8.4. At least it was a learning experience, and makes me glad that I do not have to deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. As the reciever of the money, my brother in law said he liked it better than XOOM, but I am not impressed with either service.

My first Ria transfer to wife's savings account in BA went through fine. Her bank (Galicia) called her but since she doesn't speak Spanish, she doesn't know what it was about and the transaction went through anyway.

We're now doing a second transfer and hoping for similar results. The rate today was $7.90 (calculating for fees), which is better than Xoom's $7.37 (calculating for fees).

We gave up with Xoom, etc, it worked fine for months but the amount of paper stuff and issues and really being under Afipñs radar is not our thing. So I found a lovely cueva where I wire them money abroad and they give me the dollar bills or pesos at the real blue rate no questions asked. They charge 1% commission or 140 usd. I guess if you bring small amounts it is not worth it, but over 3k usd is a better deal.

Back