Yellow Fever vaccination

InjuredBadly said:
It is incredible that those who are so untigovernment in the US are bringing their unfounded fears to Argentina. Vaccines are safe if properly controlled for purity. Get them in a safe hospital, so pay a little, you would not get them free in the States, that is for sure, but if you are not traveling to infected areas do not get them. I don't know what "damage" you are talking about.

I don't know that I would trust even a "good" hospital here to have a "good" vaccine all the time, unless the vaccine was developed outside the country. I'm sure in almost all cases the vaccines would be fine, but there is enough corruption and such here to make certain critical things suspect.

You CAN get them free in the US, you just have to wait a bit for all the others who are getting them free. I've been down on my luck before and there are a number of free clinics that give vaccinations (at least in Texas). And I would trust those as much or more than any clinic here regarding the purity.

BTW - I'm not "anti-vaccine", I'm just "don't believe everything doctors tell you." There are dangers with vaccines, they are just very miniscule. But they do exist.

I had a Yellow Fever vaccine in the mid-90s when I was traveling to India and Africa. Supposedly I am good for 30-35 years, but most countries who require the vaccine require it every ten years. I don't like that. Seems an overkill to me and I am very suspicious of doctors' organizations that push this kind of stuff way more often than needed, for whatever reason.

Moonwitch said:
People went crazy in the UK for the swine flu vaccine, so foolish. I knew nobody who even got swine flu. What a complete joke!

People in the States and here went crazy about the Swine Flu too.

This is one of the reasons I don't trust doctors to give us the truth - too many times the doctors who are trying to "give us the truth" are too closely related to organizations that have other motives. And those who are "just regular doctors" often must rely on trade journals and such, developed by doctors related to those organizations, to get their information.

Orwellian, I agree with you mostly on this (yet again! :( heh.). My ex-wife used to work with autistic children in our early years together and that was when she first started becoming aware of issues like this. It's one of the few things that I actually agree wth her, still, about.

However, I don't think it's a gigantic problem. I have an uncle who had a mild form of Polio before the vaccine was available. I know for a fact he wishes he could have taken a chance and gotten that vaccine, and he only has problems with one leg being slightly less developed and shorter than the other...

It's a tough thing to balance between what is good for the vast majority and those relatively few who are adversely affected. It should all be treated with honesty, though. The reason it isn't is because doctors and governments like to do things whether we like it or not, for our own good.

ElQueso said:
However, I don't think it's a gigantic problem. I have an uncle who had a mild form of Polio before the vaccine was available. I know for a fact he wishes he could have taken a chance and gotten that vaccine, and he only has problems with one leg being slightly less developed and shorter than the other...

I used to think so too, now I am not so sure. According to the below website the Polio cases were going down long before immunization started and apparently someone testified in a congressional hearing that statistics were manipulated giving the impression that the numbers drastically went down after the immunization program:
http://www.vaccination.co.uk/questions/q8.htm

It could be there were other factors that lead to Polio being eradicated, like proper sanitation, diet etc that wasn't as good when your uncle was young.

InjuredBadly said:
It is incredible that those who are so untigovernment in the US are bringing their unfounded fears to Argentina. Vaccines are safe if properly controlled for purity. Get them in a safe hospital, so pay a little, you would not get them free in the States, that is for sure, but if you are not traveling to infected areas do not get them. I don't know what "damage" you are talking about.

i could make just the opposite comment about yourself my friend. ;)

the expats i have found living outside of the US are some of the most informed, intelligent and proactive people i have ever met. and i bet a great part of that has to do with the fact that we don't live in the US anymore.

this is just my opinion but i think your energies would be better spent re examining what you think are your sacredly held beliefs and leaving them at the door. the longer you spend outside of the US, the more removed you are from the incessant propaganda and misinformation that bombards the average american's psyche on an hourly basis.

please stop casting your aspersions toward a group you obviously know very little about.

and just to stay on topic - if you believe that vaccines are safe, trying the phoning the families of the people who died after taking the swine flu vaccine shot.

let me know what they say.

If you want vaccines, YF for example, for international travel they MUST be done at the official state-run vaccination center, not at a private hospital.

ElQueso said:
People in the States and here went crazy about the Swine Flu too.

This is one of the reasons I don't trust doctors to give us the truth - too many times the doctors who are trying to "give us the truth" are too closely related to organizations that have other motives. And those who are "just regular doctors" often must rely on trade journals and such, developed by doctors related to those organizations, to get their information.

It's the media that caused the frenzy over the swine flu. :rolleyes:
I do think it's a good idea to wash your hands though and if it taught some people good hygene who might have needed to learn it than, hey, I can't complain.

I agree that you shouldn't take everything that doctors say for face value. It's important to become educated with respect to your healthcare. However there are good doctors out there who are not administering vaccinations to hurt you. I read a book about 10 yrs ago about Steve Jobs and the fight against small pox. It was VERY interesting.

As for the yellow fever vaccine, I didn't get it before I went to India although I did have to get about 4 others.
My fiance had to get the vaccine in NY ($260 down the drain) before we could go b/c he is from Argentina. We were told that they would check at the airport for his yellow fever card but they never did.
I am honestly considering getting the shot before we start traveling as it looks like it may be difficult to find a place that is just a regular travel clinic?

Vaccines are used for population control and to introduce diseases . There is absolutely no proof that they prevent illnesses and in many studies done with the flu shot more people got severe cases of flu that were immunised than not.

Autism has increased over 2000 percent in the last 40 years due to the toxins and injected poisons that our government and society says is acceptable . Vaccines are the cause and never the cure....

NYKate - if you are traveling to a place that requires it or if you want it for preventative reasons, you can get the vaccine here for free when you arrive.

Back