Yellow Fever vaccination

citygirl said:
NYKate - if you are traveling to a place that requires it or if you want it for preventative reasons, you can get the vaccine here for free when you arrive.

Thanks girl! ;)
I will def look into doing that instead!

orwellian said:
I used to think so too, now I am not so sure. According to the below website the Polio cases were going down long before immunization started and apparently someone testified in a congressional hearing that statistics were manipulated giving the impression that the numbers drastically went down after the immunization program:
http://www.vaccination.co.uk/questions/q8.htm

It could be there were other factors that lead to Polio being eradicated, like proper sanitation, diet etc that wasn't as good when your uncle was young.

This is completely wrong, cases of polio peaked in the 40's and 50's just before the vaccine was introduced. The source disputing this is some chiropractor in the U.K. The reason polio increased at this time was improved sanitation. Previously many people were exposed (in small doses) in daily living and often developed immunity. Once sanitation improved they didn't get the small exposures which in turn led to the big outbreaks in the 40's and 50's.

Also there is no proven link between vaccinations and autism. I think a lot of this came from article again from the U.K. in Lancet Magazine from years ago where some doctor claimed there was a link. This doctor has since been discredited and the article formally retracted by Lancet.

gouchobob said:
Also there is no proven link between vaccinations and autism.

Just because it's not proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would be interesting to see a study comparing vaccinated kids to un-vaccinated kids to see what group has the highest autism rate. That I know no such study has even been carried out.

orwellian said:
Just because it's not proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would be interesting to see a study comparing vaccinated kids to un-vaccinated kids to see what group has the highest autism rate. That I know no such study has even been carried out.

It may be true there has been no study but but the reasons are obvious.

1. Why do a study if there is no evidence that vaccinations are a problem.
2. You would expose kids to diseases unnecessarily (un-vaccinated).

I've had my YF vaccination today at the clinic on Ingeniero Huergo 690 (corner of Huergo y Chile).
Clinic opening hours 10:00-15:00
It's free, very quick and as mentioned by others before you just need to bring your passport. The certificate they give you is in English and Spanish

Back