You can live on $6 pesos a day

steveinbsas said:
Compared to six it really does.

Can anyone agree that even a backpacker's life in Argentina could cost as little as 23 pesos per day?

I certainly can't.

23 pesos a day for a family of 4. Yeah. Not for one person. For a family of 4.

This is all just a big misunderstanding by the press. What the government means to say is that you can in fact live on 6 pesos/person of YOUR own money if the rest of your expenses are paid by the masses whose money you're stealing on a daily basis through corruption, bribes, etc.

Last I checked ramen noodles were 6-8 pesos.....and I think that hardly make 1 meal.

Cordobese said:
Last I checked ramen noodles were 6-8 pesos.....and I think that hardly make 1 meal.
You just reminded me of how overpriced BA is.

bomber said:
You just reminded me of how overpriced BA is.

The good ones have gone up to 12 pesos a packet now. :mad:

Don't judge, spicy noodles are nice. :p

scotttswan said:
The good ones have gone up to 12 pesos a packet now. :mad:

Don't judge, spicy noodles are nice. :p

I am pretty sure ramen noodles are less than 25USD cents per packet in the US.......God I cant wait to go home! I really hope I wont be eating ramen noodles though :)

nicoenarg said:
http://tn.com.ar/politica/000266257/para-el-indec-se-necesitan-solo-6-por-dia-para-comer

So the government has now decided that we can live on less than $6 pesos a day.

This is just amazing. Let me try and convert that amount to dollars at the official rate of 4.625...yeah, so US$1.29 a day to eat 3 meals a day.

The funny feeling I have is that most of the people will accept this figure just like they accept the inflation at 9% and unemployment at 6%.

Oh these people get bolder by the day and face lesser and lesser resistence!

Anyone else here think its even possible to live a somewhat normal life with 3 square meals on US$1.29 a day?

3 meals? "con las cuatro comidas diarias" they say, so that would make it $closetonothing

Impossible, unless your eating from the trash or stealing food, not catching any public transport.

Pack of pasta: 5 pesos
Few slices of bread: 1 peso (prorated by meal)
A few spices: 1 peso (prorated by meal)

Bit of oil: 1 peso
========
8 pesos per meal

3 times per day: 24 pesos

Who says it can't be done!

My sister-in-law eats that EVERY TIME she goes to one of her friends' house, unless they splurge and the family orders empanadas or pizza. Two adults, her friend and her friend's brother and my sister-in-law. They may eat like that because when she's there they consider one more plate too expensive to roll out a couple of pieces of chicken breast, I don't know.

That's an extreme, but my experience has been that many families don't eat very healthy...it's too expensive.

Tonight, I prepared meat loaf, with whole grained rice and brocoli for dinner. Her friend from the family I mentioned above dined with us (they were studying together) and packed it in like she'd never seen such a spread. She's actually quite overweight, her high-starch diet having a lot to do with that I'm sure.

The dinner cost me about 100 pesos, including the Coke everyone but me drank (I drink iced tea which costs next to nothing), the fresh broccoli being the single-most expensive item. We fed 6. That comes out to almost 17 pesos per person.

We have enough meatloaf left over to have maybe two meat loaf sandwiches tomorrow.

Just depends on how you live...or how your government expects you to live, in this case

Obviously they are completely insane.

160 pesos a week to feed a family of four. Its possible, providing you buy basic raw ingredients for the lowest price possible, and don't buy anything processed, packaged or branded.

Back