You can live on $6 pesos a day

nicoenarg

Registered
http://tn.com.ar/politica/000266257/para-el-indec-se-necesitan-solo-6-por-dia-para-comer

So the government has now decided that we can live on less than $6 pesos a day.

This is just amazing. Let me try and convert that amount to dollars at the official rate of 4.625...yeah, so US$1.29 a day to eat 3 meals a day.

The funny feeling I have is that most of the people will accept this figure just like they accept the inflation at 9% and unemployment at 6%.

Oh these people get bolder by the day and face lesser and lesser resistence!

Anyone else here think its even possible to live a somewhat normal life with 3 square meals on US$1.29 a day?

Perhaps only on rice and beans, but how would anyone be able to afford to cook them?

Hang on, that's not quite accurate. The "$6 pesos a day" is divided within a family with small kids, so for a family (2 adults, 2 kids) it's 23 pesos a day, or around $5.50. Buying as a group always offers a little more buying power, as many shared households would attest to over the years.

I think a local family "could" survive on that amount for food only, obviously being very restricted in what they could eat. Anything else to pay you're stuffed of course.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps only on rice and beans, but how would anyone be able to afford to cook them?
And vegetables.

And as I said, gas on top of that for cooking, that's where the crunch comes.

bomber said:
Hang on, that's not quite accurate. The "$6 pesos a day" is divided within a family with small kids, so for a family (2 adults, 2 kids) it's 23 pesos a day, or around $5.50. Buying as a group always offers a little more buying power, as many shared households would attest to over the years.

I think a local family "could" survive on that amount for food only, obviously being very restricted in what they could eat. Anything else to pay you're stuffed of course.

Ohhh, 23 pesos a day, now that makes a huge difference

El chabon said:

Compared to six it really does.

Can anyone agree that even a backpacker's life in Argentina could cost as little as 23 pesos per day?

I certainly can't.

steveinbsas said:
Can anyone actually imagine a blog for travelers that touts life in Argentina for even 23 pesos per day?
Most travelers, no. Though I do know of an 18 year old British guy who traveled as cheap as it is possible to travel and survived on less than $300 a month for 4 months recently.

But this article isn't about expats in BA, remember.

El chabon said:
After spending a couple of years working with people who actually lived on around US$1 a day, I do know it would be possible. To live/survive, not necessarily to enjoy.

Back