You can live on $6 pesos a day

Not anywhere close to possible if one wants to cover things like basic nutrition.

I just... sometimes I really feel like I've fallen through the rabbit hole.

Oh you people are all very silly, if not mentally disturbed. Any sensible Kirchnerista knows that this is a generous sum. Only a spoiled, capitalist Yankee would think otherwise. In Cristina's world all is possible.

Apparently fasting can add 40% to ones lifespan, perhaps thats the plan.

This conversation is really pointless because it's us (expats) against a 6-peso-a-day diet. We all know that none of us eat on that budget, but the fact is that it CAN be done (rice and beans as someone said, or pasta with oil, potatoes and onions...and I would even venture to say that you could throw in an in-season vegetable if you cared to). We don't have any contact with people who live on this budget. They don't eat Ramen noodles or chicken, they don't buy Serenisima yogurt, and they probably don't eat strawberries either in or out of season. They mix powdered milk and water, they eat tons of starch, they don't get enough protein and vitamins, but they survive. I'm not saying it's great. I'm not saying it's optimal. Far from it. And I'm even farther from being Pro K. I'm saying in someone else's reality, this budget can be done. For a family of 4 the total per month (stated in the article) is $688,37 pesos. That can buy you A LOT of rice, beans, in-season vegetables, etc. I posted this in another thread just yesterday. If you are curious, this is what makes up the canasta básica:

Canasta-Basica.jpg

Yes, it comes from an article titled "The Family Shopping Cart: High Calories, Low Nutrition" And it's true. But the INDEC doesn't take calories and nutrition into account...only survival sadly.

How are you getting that food back from mercado central which is as you know, anything but central?

Of course it CAN be done. But I think we can all agree that holding up what people below the poverty line live on is probably not the standard no?

This has nothing to do with expats. It's the fact that this number is absolutely ludicrous and 100% out of touch with reality.

Citygirl, that's so true - what the government should be saying is "there are people living on as little as 6 pesos a day and this is not acceptable, this is what we are doing to rectify this problem"
And it is reality: my sister-in-law's family provide one meal a day for the 8 people in their household. If anyone wants anything further to eat, they purchase it out of their own money. Dinner is often a cup of sweet tea. The husband often buys a kilo of chicken wings and fries them up to eat for dinner. Cheap and filling (?). Now that the older kids are working in fulltime employment, there is more food around.

If the jails in Argentina had the same conditions as Australia, 3 nice meals a day, plus recreation time,gym and cable television and internet for free I would be expecting to see robberies every few seconds here.

Australia had the same, feed a family of 4 for 5 dollars a day, then after about a month the Consumer watch dogs pulled the plug on the commercial for false advertising. You cant meet your daily nutritional requirements on 23-24 pesos. Then people are surprised that Argentinians are rude and angry. I would be to if I was starving.

I'm sure we're talking about expats when we think its not possible to buy food on 23-24 pesos a day for a family of 4 that will give you enough nutritional value for you and your family to be healthy. I mean, I guess its only the expats that should worry about being healthy right?

I am going to go one step further. And judging from your post below, I am assuming that nutritional value should not be a factor when talking about Argentines, especially those that are near or on the poverty line. So, I think the all powerful and all generous government of Cristina is being a little too generous here. The Argentines, especially the ones I mentioned, a family of four near or below poverty line, can live for free. Here's how:

There are plenty of trash cans and plastic bags and discarded food and paper and whatnot, since nutritional value is not important, they can eat all of that. Hey, its just food we're worried about. Something solid that will fill these people's stomachs, so why not. Too extreme? I don't think so. Eat plastic bags and I am sure you will feel full for a long time.

Also, they can live for free. Plenty of discarded cardboards and empty pavements waiting to be moved into and decorated with cardboards.

Yeah, a completely free way of life that will ensure that these people die early. Perfect.

Is that closer to your reality now? Or did I go a little too far? Because that's what I think the government did, went a little too far this time.

allcraz said:
This conversation is really pointless because it's us (expats) against a 6-peso-a-day diet. We all know that none of us eat on that budget, but the fact is that it CAN be done (rice and beans as someone said, or pasta with oil, potatoes and onions...and I would even venture to say that you could throw in an in-season vegetable if you cared to). We don't have any contact with people who live on this budget. They don't eat Ramen noodles or chicken, they don't buy Serenisima yogurt, and they probably don't eat strawberries either in or out of season. They mix powdered milk and water, they eat tons of starch, they don't get enough protein and vitamins, but they survive. I'm not saying it's great. I'm not saying it's optimal. Far from it. And I'm even farther from being Pro K. I'm saying in someone else's reality, this budget can be done. For a family of 4 the total per month (stated in the article) is $688,37 pesos. That can buy you A LOT of rice, beans, in-season vegetables, etc. I posted this in another thread just yesterday. If you are curious, this is what makes up the canasta básica:

Canasta-Basica.jpg

Yes, it comes from an article titled "The Family Shopping Cart: High Calories, Low Nutrition" And it's true. But the INDEC doesn't take calories and nutrition into account...only survival sadly.

So has anyone seen this yet? This is $6.99 a day per person. It looks like Carrefour has put out suggested purchases for a two week period which would be considered nutritious. Still no yogurt. And no fish (but heck even I don't eat fish here!) It even breaks it down into a daily menu. Looks a lot like what's on my suegra's fridge when she goes to the nutritionist and gets a diet plan.

http://www.infobae.com/notas/664581...ta-de-productos-para-comer-a-699-por-dia.html

Back