You Know You're In Argentina When.....

It was explained to me long ago that to ask for marinade at a asado out in the countryside is like asking a cowboy to wear pantys and should be thankful you walked away with your manhood intact
You know you are in Argentina when the choices are chimichurri or salsa criolla or get the hell out of this country and never come back
When you talk to old folks in the country and after saying you are from THE USA they take a look at you and ask you how are things in Europe
When to catch the 8.30 train you leave your house at 9 15 and still have to wait at the station
When they bring you your steak way overdone and you want to send it back and they tell you ...NO
When you get a traffic violation and wait for it to be written up and the police officer makes that'' pause''..... so.. i write it up?
When you cross a red light because it just turned red a sec ago
When you call the RURALES(police) and they tell you they can't make it because it's to muddy and they might get stuck
When you and a friend agree that traffic is all screwed up and don't know what the hell the gov' is doing as you get on your bike with no helmet no insurance and no registration and ride half a block on the side walk
When in the middle of a puteada as someone cuts you off ,you notice you know the guy so you suspend the puteada and ask how's he's doing
When que hijo de puta could mean good(bad ass) or it's the last thing you say before you start throwing punches
When it's 10 40 and you're still waiting on the 8 30 train
When you ask your waiter to bring you a side dish not included in the special and tell you ....NO
When you order the special menu of the day and they tell you they are sold out,and as you go down on the menu everything is sold out,so you end up saying tarzan style hot food cold drink now!!!! i don't care what it is(this happen quite often at retiro station)
When everything wrong with this country is THE USA or the UK's fault as you agree of course!!
When you are invited to an asado and you have to pass as you had other plans,,, and they give you that blank look like saying .....are you sick? or your wife is giving birth? only two acceptable excuses to pass on asado with the boys
and many many more .......... i love it!!!!! nono seriously i do

When you are on a crowded bus or the subway and it is hot day.. about 90F or 40C on the bus and people are still wearing jackets and sweaters with all the windows closed!!

when we want to colonize the Sun... just grab some portenos....

28. When el verdulero yells at you not to touch the merchandise.
29. When a salesman in a dept store runs away from you instead of towards you.
30. When they through at you "no trabajamos esso" and turns out to be they do have it.
31. When customer is never right
32 When u buy 1/2 kg of something for $10. Then u ask the guy for a whole 5 kg sealed package of the same thing for $100 (he had quite few of them) and he would refuse. He wanted $150. He would only sell me another 1/2 kg for another $10.

when people pick up any junk you tossed outside your building.
when people turn business down because they do not wan to to do it.
when you see a Bolivian vegie boy inside every Chinese market.
when pavement pattern changes from building to building while you walk on the street.
when a ham sandwich is just dry piece of white bread and ham, and they both taste like wax.
when home owners make their Paraguay maids wear maid clothes sold at Disco.
when party starts at 2am, and there are more people at Plaza Serrano at 3am than day time.
when great steaks and gorgeous women become a real brief possibility for a gringo who has no chance in us.

You call a guy you know to deliver XXk usd to your house..after you've already eaten your McDonald's and ice-cream washed down with a refreshing Fernando and a couple of Ibuprofen...all home delivered. Gotta love it.

When you walk into a store just needing some time to look around and the employees either ignore you completely or hover at your back making sure you don't actually touch anything - and both call it "service."

Back