Young Europeans flock to Argentina

El chabon said:
How are you going to pay back your 150-200k student loan in BA?

@El Chabon I didn't withdraw any loans. I've more or less paid my tuition myself, and I left with an associate degree w/o going for a bachelors. I only have about $2k left to pay off.

And I'm not looking for work here. I wouldn't want to earn pesos. If anything I would try to work for companies the UK. Currently businesses are international, with clients in the US and my programmers are in the Philippines, and Bangladesh, respectively.

Anyway there's no need to be rude... your question struck me as a bit confrontational :)

@Citygirl - good points, the statistic you're citing about 4-year colleges includes students who attended junior colleges, so yes the average is much lower.

$9 an hour is very realistic. My cousin, who lives in Los Angeles posted an ad on Craigslist for an office admin and was swamped with applicants, many of which had MA degrees. I think he was only offering $11 an hour or something like that.

And yes, the prices for rent I was quoting was for one room only, not a private apartment :)

...Anyway, what I've found remarkable about being here in Argentina is how the headlines in the newspapers are so overwhelmingly negative. It's all stuff on corruption, inflation, rising prices, etc. It seems like people exist in a perpetual state of fear... it's even worse than in the US, which is one of the reasons why I had to leave the debbie downers there behind.

Back