Young Europeans flock to Argentina

As a former migrant, I learned that immigration is always fueled by the bad times at the point of origin, not the booming economy of the destination. People like to stay in their own places, it seems. That said, objectively BA and Argentina have lots of advantages for a young (18-40) heterosexual man with academic education.

I can only comment that in Recoleta there are Brasileros, Brasileros and more Barsileros --- not much else. Portuguese is the new lengua franca around here.

There has been a news story or two about young Portuguese emigrating to Brazil and Angola. But these have been young university-educated professionals (architects, civil engineers, etc.) who've managed to find a niche for themselves. Southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Greece) is in dire straits so it's plausible that some young people there might see the other side as greener. Don't know what credence to give this story, though.

marksoc said:
As a former migrant, I learned that immigration is always fueled by the bad times at the point of origin, not the booming economy of the destination. People like to stay in their own places, it seems. That said, objectively BA and Argentina have lots of advantages for a young (18-40) heterosexual man with academic education.

no prospects for homos? :confused: or women? :eek:

surfing said:
I can only comment that in Recoleta there are Brasileros, Brasileros and more Barsileros --- not much else. Portuguese is the new lengua franca around here.

Same here in PM, but IMHO the Brazilians here are mainly tourists and not migrants. Economic migrants usually don't move to pricey neighborhoods to start a new life.

Hehe, I was speaking of certain advantages for social life, you know, is an easy country to meet women. As I don´t know nothing about the local gay community, I said nothing about the subject. European women can easily meet men everywhere.

Now about the number of Spaniards coming to Argentina: Rajoy made a big mistake, as can be read in this Google translation of a report by Argentina´s Migraciones:

INTERNATIONAL - January 22, 2011
One thing wrong that spread
The head of the Spanish Popular Party, Mariano Rajoy repeated in a public an erroneous data on the Spanish who emigrated to Argentina, beginning an escalation of confusion.

On 13 December the temporary multinational Adecco issued a report which wrongly interpreted Electoral Census of Spanish Abroad (CERA), arguing that the growing number of Spanish citizens in Argentina in recent years due to emigration, when in fact the reason it is Spanish nationalization as the second-generation descendants are in the process of regularization.

Days later, 18, president of the Partido Popular (PP) Spanish, Mariano Rajoy, the data included in his speech wrong party meeting in Leon, with him trying to plot the magnitude of the country's economic crisis, when really about people born in Argentina, Spanish descent, who demand dual citizenship.

The next day, the newspaper El Pais in Spain found the error and published a note entitled "Rajoy gives erroneous data on emigration to Argentina", which records the origin of the report that led to say Rajoy: "Just to Argentina are leaving every month 1,200 young people to work. " The Spanish media also clarified that while "there has been an increase in Spanish in Argentina," that "is not due to an exodus by the crisis, but because the aforementioned census includes the Argentines of Spanish descent who applied for dual citizenship through the laws of that country. " Also consulted on the subject to Adecco, and his spokesman in Spain said that "in Argentina, a very special case, we can not conclude that there are 1,200 sorties in Spain every month."

Meanwhile, in its online edition on December 20 Argentinian Chequeado.com portal published an after consulting both the National Directorate of Migration (DNM) and the Embassy of Spain.

Thus, this site correctly spread between "resolved filings (permanent and temporary), the amount of Spanish who arrived in the country to stay for the period 2004 to November 2010 the Spanish community located in the 13th place ranking migrants, led by Bolivians, Paraguayans and Peruvians. " It is also noted that "going against what the PP leader said, based Spanish immigration in Argentina, regardless of age or sex did not increase significantly from 2007 to 2010, but did so consistently, which meant a growth of 43% in that period. " And an example: "If you multiply the number of people who would be arriving to the country as Rajoy by the number of months since the announcement of economic adjustment made by Zapatero on May 28, 2010, which is considered one of the highlights of the crisis of 8400 would result in Spanish. This figure is above the number of immigrants who settled between 2007 and November 2010 (3903) and even exceeds the number of Spanish settlers in Argentina since 2004 (5036 filings resolved).

It should be noted that there were numerous media either side of the Atlantic that raised or original report or statements of Adecco Rajoy.

So is this really saying that those thousands of Argentines who moved to Spain during the free credit high roller days are now returning home to Argentina?

marksoc said:
Hehe, I was speaking of certain advantages for social life, you know, is an easy country to meet women. As I don´t know nothing about the local gay community, I said nothing about the subject. European women can easily meet men everywhere.

Now about the number of Spaniards coming to Argentina: Rajoy made a big mistake, as can be read in this Google translation of a report by Argentina´s Migraciones:

surfing said:
So is this really saying that those thousands of Argentines who moved to Spain during the free credit high roller days are now returning home to Argentina?

Hey surfing, If you enable private messages I can send you some info about another question you recently asked. Steve

surfing said:

No, its saying that many Argentine citizens are hedging their bets by getting Spanish passports, while not giving up their Argentine citizenship, or moving to Spain.

The same thing has been happening with Italy- It seems like every other Porteno I meet has BOTH an Argentine and either a spanish or italian passport.

So, by Spanish government records, the number of Spanish citizens in Argentina is going up, even though nobody is actually moving between the two countries.

Already enabled ---- I have been receiving pms for quite a while. Advice?

Gotcha. Poor ole- Guardian can't be bothered to research!
Thanks for the clarification!

Back