Young Europeans flock to Argentina

I highly doubt there are high numbers of europeans or north americans looking to settle in Argentina. People came when it was cheap to live here and that is because as many have said before, it was easy to overlook ALL of the HUGE problems here when you are eating a steak dinner with plenty of wine and going out to a show for $50 pesos. Now that costs about $200 pesos or more and you´re lucky if you get some safely. Yes some people have come, some have stayed a few years, some are married and or in long term relationships (like me), however until Argentina changes from a complicated, burocratic, unequitable, and unstable politically quasi "republic", well then there will be no large immigrations here from Europe or North America. They will only attract immigrants who are in countries where the situation is worse (and believe it or not there are many).

I agree with David ---- I think is another out of touch puff piece. The newspaper and magazine editors of the world seem to be about two or three years behind on every trend when it comes to Argentina.

I don't like to think of myself as a cynic, but geesh, a "puff piece" is a good characterization of this article. I wish I could point out all of the parts where I rolled my eyes. Given that this would take me all night, I'll just point out one:

Hanson is thinking of buying an apartment to stay permanently. "I've read stories on the internet from people with bad experiences, but I think a lot of it comes down to the effort you're prepared to make on a personal level.

After two years of teaching English, this Hanson fella is going to buy himself an apartment? Where? Ciudad Oculta?

From the article: "Hanson is thinking of buying an apartment to stay permanently."

This sentence might actually mislead a number of readers. It implies that buying an apartment leads to permanent residency and of course that is not true.

If it read "Hanson is thinking of buying an apartment and staying permanently." it would have a different meaning. I'd change the word thinking of to fantasizing about.

Even if the corrected number of 1,200 Spaniards emigrating to Argentina annually is true, that is only 100 per month and hardly justifies the headline of the article.

I rarely heard an Englih accent in the streets of Palermo and even in San Telmo, where I often heard English being spoken, it was usually with an American accent. Hearing an English accent in the streets Las Canitas may be more common, but I'll bet most of those folks are tourists.

How about this pearl of wisdom from the second (copycat) article?

"Unlike Brazil, Argentina has an open-doors policy, with immigrants from Europe particularly welcome. No specific skills or country quotas are in place. All an applicant needs is a letter from an employer or potential employer and a certificate of good conduct from the police of their country of origin.

It is also possible to look for a job once in Argentina on a tourist visa. Europeans can travel to Argentina without a visa and are automatically given a free 90-day tourist visa upon arrival. After finding a job immigrants can go to the migrations department with a letter from their employer and a certificate of good conduct from their country of origin."

WOW! Who knew it was so easy???

steveinbsas said:
From the article: "Hanson is thinking of buying an apartment to stay permanently."

This sentence might actually mislead a number of readers. It implies that buying an apartment leads to permanent residency and of course that is not true.

If it read "Hanson is thinking of buying an apartment and staying permanently." it would have a different meaning. I'd change the word thinking of to fantasizing about.

Even if the corrected number of 1,200 Spaniards emigrating to Argentina annually is true, that is only 100 per month and hardly justifies the headline of the article.

I rarely heard an Englih accent in the streets of Palermo and even in San Telmo, where I often heard English being spoken, it was usually with an American accent. Hearing an English accent in the streets Las Canitas may be more common, but I'll bet most of those folks are tourists.

The article has a lot of truth to it and many Europeans are moving of late . I have met Greeks, Norwegians, Spaniards, and other nationalities that have moved to Buenos Aires in 2011 and they also found work here .

Compared to Europe these days Argentina is a paradise for many even with the beurocracy that we complain about daily here . If you look for work you will find it I am sure and while the pay is not great you can certainly live ok and enjoy the beauty that Buenos Aires offers.

Back