Your Inflation Experience: At The Zoo

Davidglen77,

Can you give more details on Liniers and Mataderos eg location, times they are open, how to get there, etc? It looks like they are worth the trip.

Many thanks!

GS

If anybody goes to the Mercado Central, Liniers or another market from San Telmo -where I live- please let me know, I would like to go and share the costs.

Davidglen77,

Can you give more details on Liniers and Mataderos eg location, times they are open, how to get there, etc? It looks like they are worth the trip.

Many thanks!

GS

The liniers market (the one you shop at, not the one where they sell cattle) is about a block away from Rivadavia and General Paz, heading towards the long distance bus terminal (away from the tracks). If you're in the center / recoleta / etc the train is the easiest way. The liniers station is the 5 or 6th station on the line and leaves you a block or 2 away (along rivadavia).

In your case though, if you're still in belgrano, you should take the subway to Juan B Justo and then take the metro bus line that goes all the way there (don't remember the number but the metro bus stops have all the info printed on the walls.)

Not sure about mataderos

Edit: try the chicha morada

School. New colegio this year. Last year the other school was costing us 2200 pesos per month at the end of the year. Don't remember exactly where it started. The school was horrible. One graduated last year and the other we started in a new school this year. The original price in March was about 800 pesos, now this month we just paid 1250 pesos (ironically it's a much better school). We have a third one starting school here next year and I'm terrified. The one who graduated started at UADE this year. 4200 pesos per month to start, two months ago went up to 4500, next month her field of study is going up to 4800.

Movies. I started out here going to movies for 10 pesos 8 years ago. Took years to break 20 pesos and finally, 85 pesos for a 3D movie.

Meat. Tomatoes. Bread. Up and up and up.

Haircut ; In 6 months it went from 75 - 100
Carwash: 90-130

And forget trying to keep track of food prices..............

Reactions: Joe
Finding an old receipt is interesting and nostalgic. It's a little sad though when the receipt is from 2012 and it still blows you away.

On a more positive note... all those times I got ripped off don't feel so traumatic anymore. ;)

I've kept track of expenses since 1999 when I arrived in Buenos Aires. For those of you who weren't here then, the peso was EQUAL to the dollar.

I went for a haircut last week. He charged 80 pesos; my previous haircut in June was 65 pesos. Considering I got 10.05+ with a XOOM transfer, that haircut was cheap. Where in the USA could I get one for that price? Nowhere. The beauty salon is four blocks from my apartment. He wasn't busy, and I was out the door in 20 minutes.

I consulted my expense record for August 2000 and found that I paid 26 PESOS/DOLLARS for a haircut that month. That's when I also paid $700 DOLLARS a month for a very basic furnished 2-bedroom apartment in Constitucion.

A New Yorker commented to me at the expats coffee chat on Wednesday (at the Big Apple) that he spent $1,000USD last month. I spent $500US over the last two months. I think I saw his mouth drop when he heard this.

No one can live in the USA solely on social security benefits. But I'm living in the great city of Buenos Aires on a portion of my monthly benefits and building my savings. I'm aware of how difficult it is for Argentines to live with high inflation.

Back