Your Inflation Experience: At The Zoo

I started to cut my own hair.....in the elevator of my building since it has a big mirror and excellent lighting. Doesn't cost a peso.

I am biting my tongue. :p

PS: Two years ago the price of a haircut in Punta Alta was $40. I got my hair cut yesterday by the same stylist for $50 pesos.

Davidglen77,

Can you give more details on Liniers and Mataderos eg location, times they are open, how to get there, etc? It looks like they are worth the trip.

Many thanks!

GS
The shops in Liniers are located along calle José Leon Suárez for about 3 blocks between Rivadavia & Bosch Ventura. There are probably 50-60 small shops that sell every possible spice, nut, seed, oil, exotic product, produce, fish and meat you can find all at great prices. The area is VERY crowded with shoppers and it doesn't at all feel unsafe, however I would dress on the low-key side just to blend in and keep my wallet & cell phone in a secure place. I've never seen any tourists there.

Mataderos is a fair on Av. Lisandro de la Torre, there are tons of vendors that sell really great food products from all over the country. From cheeses, sausages, baked goods, honey, spices, chocolate, etc and lots of great handicrafts. Here is a link to the fair that describes all that is there: http://www.feriademataderos.com.ar/

Have fun!! (and save lots of money doing it)

A roll of hay.
300 pesos each last winter 450 yesterday. It wasn't the best quality so he did us a favour and knocked 30 pesos off each roll. :rolleyes:

School. New colegio this year. Last year the other school was costing us 2200 pesos per month at the end of the year. Don't remember exactly where it started. The school was horrible. One graduated last year and the other we started in a new school this year. The original price in March was about 800 pesos, now this month we just paid 1250 pesos (ironically it's a much better school). We have a third one starting school here next year and I'm terrified. The one who graduated started at UADE this year. 4200 pesos per month to start, two months ago went up to 4500, next month her field of study is going up to 4800.

Movies. I started out here going to movies for 10 pesos 8 years ago. Took years to break 20 pesos and finally, 85 pesos for a 3D movie.

Meat. Tomatoes. Bread. Up and up and up.

UADE costs $4200 per month? When I studied there five years ago it was around $1,000, or maybe it was $1,200 per month. That's outrageous.

You have to take advantage of the 2x1 movie ticket promos that credit cards offer. If you go to Belgrano Multiplex I think it cost around $38. The only problem with this theatre is that you have to go down two or three flights of stairs to use the bathroom so go before the movie starts, and there's no airconditioning and it gets really hot.

UADE costs $4200 per month? When I studied there five years ago it was around $1,000, or maybe it was $1,200 per month. That's outrageous.

You have to take advantage of the 2x1 movie ticket promos that credit cards offer. If you go to Belgrano Multiplex I think it cost around $38. The only problem with this theatre is that you have to go down two or three flights of stairs to use the bathroom so go before the movie starts, and there's no airconditioning and it gets really hot.

My sister-in-law is studying international business administration (don't remember the exact title), which is the most expensive career you can pick as I understand - with, as far as I can see, the greatest probability of moving into international circles outside of Argentina and possibly South America. They do student exchange programs each year - Brasil this year for a couple of weeks, Iceland next year for a semester and then a choice based on grades and foreign language(s) learned, for a semester to a whole year at big universities in other parts of the world, for the last two years. At big discounts, which I also understand to be a part of the cost of the heavy tuition for that track.

She has big ambitions. A couple of her friends from colegio are taking other tracks that run between 2,500 and 3,500 pesos. I don't know if there are any cheaper tracks available below 2,500.

Don't know which track you took 5 years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that the cost had risen 400% in the last 5 years if you took the same. The colegio I mentioned previously that this one graduated from last year, was 2,200 a month when she left, but it started at 600 pesos in 2009, when we moved into town and put her in school in the city. To me, school has inflated farther than my medical insurance for the 4 (soon to be 5!) of us has over the same period. The two of their tuition together, last year, cost more more than insurance at Hospital Aleman does for the four of us, and I'm on the wrong side of 50 as far as health cost goes.

As an aside, my sister-in-law has three of her five courses this semester in English...she's panicking a little, although she has solid intermediate-level skills. She and I now pretty much speak English all the time between the two of us so she can practice, but she's a little short on the written side as a result of depending primarily on conversation. About a third of the students in her class are English-speaking students from places like Germany, the US and Holland. She's a bit intimidated.

As far as the movies go, we do sometimes take advantage of the Santander Rio 2-1 deals, but they don't seem (at least at Village in Recoleta, which we're close to) to offer any discounts for the 3D movies, and the family loves 3D :) Also, I get hot in any movie theater, as the heating is usually too strong in the winter and the fan doesn't run enough in the summer. I have German and Scottish blood - I think the reason my body likes cold much more than hot.

I have to admit, my bitching about inflation is mostly empty (because I'm not poor) and I am simply lamenting the fact that it costs me more than it used to in order to live a life of semi-luxury in what I consider to be a very nice part of town (and having spent time in a lot of places throughout the city and some of the BA province areas, at least to the north and west, so I'm not ignorant of other, acceptable-to-me, lifestyles available). Although I have it easier than a clear majority of people who live here, I still feel the fact that it costs me more to live here; however I am quite cognizant of my good fortune (due mostly to my own very hard work and very few breaks) as well.

The part of my bitching that isn't empty is the part that sees family and friends, who earn in pesos, struggling against what seems to them at times an impossible situation in which to move forward, but one that they have known before and accept with mostly implacable weariness. Whatchagunado?

You think thats bad?

I got an email from my university last week, basically said wah wah wah boo-ho, our costs have gone up too much, please feel sorry for us and understand starting next month we're applying an 8% increase to your tuition.

That would make next month's bill $6800. Or if you consider the fact that they bill 12 months a year for 10 months of classes, 7700.

Still a bargain compared to the US.

Expenses in AR that did not exist 5 years ago in my life and now have become essential: HD television+subscription, cell data, high-speed Internet, smart phone.... Wonder where my €€€€ go?

Back