110 Voltage help

LuchoLib

Registered
Hi there,
I have recently done a container move from the US to Argentina. And because of a timing issue I couldn't sell my appliances, and brought everything here in the container. I'm sure a bunch of the devices I brought aren't worth the conversion(like lamps and power strips), but I have other devices that I would like to use if possible.

I am aware the most simple solution is to use a transformer, however I heard that it is possible to have an electrician convert the devices, or even some DIY.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions or info of an electrician?

Thanks
Lu

... however I heard that it is possible to have an electrician convert the devices, or even some DIY.

Instead of having one transformer outside you prefer to have many transformers embedded into each device?

Instead of having one transformer outside you prefer to have many transformers embedded into each device?
Yes, or simply not need a transformer.
I don't want to have to pull out the transformer every time I want to use a the device. It's fine for devices I use occasionally, but those that I use daily is a pain.

Last edited:
Most electronic devices manufactured these days are designed to accept inputs from 100-240v at between 50-60Hz. Once you have gone through and inspected what you have actually got, you might not need as much transformation as you first throught.

Not worth the hassle if it's more than a few items. I would only bother if it was an extremely expensive device $1000 USD+. The idea that you want an electrician to open up and 'transform' the power supplies is not great.. There is no DIY either. The solution is to use a transform for each device - if that is too much hassle then see what money you can get for them.

Also bear in mind that;
  1. Electrical appliances iron, toaster, space heaters, laser printers, etc that consume 2000 watts plus, need a hefty transformer $$
  2. Electronics such as computers and smart tv are sensitive to 50 vs. 60 cycles, may overheat or malfunction. With only 110 to 220 V transformer.
  3. Frequency transformers $$$

It really depends on the device. Some devices have a transformer inside of them, that goes from, say, 115 volts to 12 volts- and that may be replaceable with a 220volt transformer. Some devices have motors, which may be swappable. In most cases, its not worth the trouble.
Lights are the easiest- usually there are neighborhood shops that can either sell you the right bulb, or rewire em.
But lots of things are just not worth it- electric drills, or toasters, or blenders, or hair dryers- just buy a new one here.

LuchoLib, You made a mistake (... in MY OPINION!) But don't take it hard because human nature is awful hard to fight!

Most people just can't handle throwing something perfectly good or valuable away.

Your misery began when you decided to take everything with you.

Had it been me, in your situation, I would have thrown it all way and never took it with me knowing there are voltage issues between ARG & EE UU.

In my opinion, the only thing electrical to take from country to country with different voltage systems are communication devices such as cell phones, computers and tablets. WHY? Because they have voltage converters built into their power cables / cords. You are merely a plug adapter away from using them anywhere in the world. And to a lesser degree, there are some other items such as international blow dryers, irons etc ... that have a 110 / 220 voltage switch. Simply flip the switch and use it with a plug adapter wherever you go.

EVERYTHING ELSE - SELL IT. If you can't sell it ... GIVE IT AWAY. If you can't sell it ... THROW IT AWAY. Then buy it anew. Easy for me to say when I am spending your money, but that is the correct thing to do.

When making international moves ... take your personal electronics (COMMUNICATION DEVICES and tiny international appliances.) take all the things that you need or like that aren't powered ... THEN START NEW.

Speaking from experience on this one!

Makes sense you not wanting to replace some of these but. anyways consider the price of new vs old (and unusable at present state).
Likely is not worth YOUR TIME, particularly now that you might need a very qualified techie and he might not be able to find the parts required.

Blue dollar might be the fastest path to new hardware.

Iz

Back