110 Voltage help

i know this doesn't help you now, but when i moved here i planned ahead and bought several transformers of various sizes and shipped them with my moving container to be able to use everything i had that didn't work on 220v. i just didn't want to go through the trouble of selling things and buying new things here.

really, all you need to enable that to work is a transformer plugged into a strategic area and some power strips that work on 220v/110v (yours from the US surely won't and will pop the breaker as soon as you plug them in). i have transformers set up in each room (mainly for my TVs, which work fine) but the power strip can give you a little flexibility plugging stuff in if you need it. just calculate the wattage you need and give yourself plenty of extra as a contingency (if you need 400w in one room, buy an 800w or 1000w).

i have one large one (3000w) in the kitchen i use for my coffee maker, blender, and toaster oven. i just leave it on the counter and plug stuff into it as i need it. it really isn't that big a hassle.

if/when i need to replace appliances i'll buy them here so i can reduce the dependency on the transformers. but if you want to use what you have it shouldn't be too hard to do it that way.
What kind of power strips i.e. where do I find them if I’m bringing small appliances from the US? Do I buy the transformer in the US, too?

I would buy the transformer in the US. Basically bring everything from the states because you'll pay twice as much here for half the quality.

In the end, the simple power strips are just wires and as long as you aren't running high wattage items from them the wire size will be adequate for 220v. Most cell phone chargers and laptop plugs will be dual voltage anyways.

I have several 110v power strips that I cut the plug off of and changed with a 220v plug. Or if you're really good and adventurous, you can bend the prongs diagonal and plug them right into a 220v plug. I gave up on the crappy plug converters that you buy here that won't stay in the wall. Just bend the prongs and plug it in.

the 110v strips i brought with me never worked. they immediately tripped breakers when i plugged them in here. one of them was not a cheap one either, it was a fancy one i used for my desktop computer.

i bought specific power strips on amazon that were rated for 220v and brought those down with me later. they are also nice because they accept multiple plug types so adaptors needed for anything.

i definitely would buy the transformer in the US if possible, but just keep in mind they get heavy, particularly as you get higher in wattage.

the 110v strips i brought with me never worked. they immediately tripped breakers when i plugged them in here. one of them was not a cheap one either, it was a fancy one i used for my desktop computer.
I brought trailing sockets from the UK. No voltage problem, obviously, but the line and neutral needed to be wired the opposite way around. A lot of US equipment can be plugged in any way you like but the sockets themselves are polarised.

i bought specific power strips on amazon that were rated for 220v and brought those down with me later. they are also nice because they accept multiple plug types so adaptors needed for anything.

i definitely would buy the transformer in the US if possible, but just keep in mind they get heavy, particularly as you get higher in wattage.

Local regular power strips are not recommended to connect high wattage items rated 2000 watts and over . Like Irons, space heaters, stoves, hair dryers , etc
PD- according to my local electrical supply store

Last edited:
Local power strips are not recommended to connect high wattage items for 2000 watts and over . Like Irons, space heaters, stoves, hair dryers , etc
if i'm honest, i don't even really trust the cheapo white ones i bought from coto to charge my cell phone. they feel flimsy and i feel like they could burst into flame at any moment.

i have only one of those in the house, for the rest i use my USA sourced ones.

if i'm honest, i don't even really trust the cheapo white ones i bought from coto to charge my cell phone. they feel flimsy and i feel like they could burst into flame at any moment.

i have only one of those in the house, for the rest i use my USA sourced ones.

The US supplied ones have an on-off control and power surcharge controls.

Local regular power strips are not recommended to connect high wattage items rated 2000 watts and over . Like Irons, space heaters, stoves, hair dryers , etc

Excellent advice Rich One. Just about two days too late for me. Fortunately the smell of smoke is pretty much gone.

Curious if anyone can provide links to transformers that have worked great for your desktop computers and tvs brought from the US?

Desktop computers should have a voltage switch on the power supply. Most tvs are dual voltage power supplies also.

Back