15 Reason Why I Like Ba Living ...

One more reason is that I can buy and shoot fireworks from my balcony... I forgot about this one.
It's illegal to sell or possess fireworks in NYC courtesy of Mayor Bloomberg.

So if you compare them why you put a picture of buenos aires cutting the huge green areas? like the ecological reserve and the palermo forest? that is not even talking about all the small parks and streets full of trees that are present in Buenos Aires and not in London, you could tell me other cities and i will agree but London is not the case.
Hate to disappoint you but London is not a green city at all

That was a crappy photo, but having lived in London for 25 years and BsAs for nearly 10, believe me, there's no comparison. London is many times greener. Apart from the big parks that match those in BsAs, every small neighbourhood has parks. The population density and lack of parks is one of the things that struck me while I was living in BsAs. I do miss it though, and will be coming back next winter.

That was a crappy photo, but having lived in London for 25 years and BsAs for nearly 10, believe me, there's no comparison. London is many times greener. Apart from the big parks that match those in BsAs, every small neighbourhood has parks. The population density and lack of parks is one of the things that struck me while I was living in BsAs. I do miss it though, and will be coming back next winter.

London may be greener but that's not much of an advantage when it is raining all the time!!!!

Love it for being the best place to live in the whole world

I couldn't agree more. I sold up everything in London three years ago to move here permanently, having spent a month or two a year here for the last 18 years. I still think it was a brilliant decision and enjoy every day of my life here. Yes, the work element is challenging (my last job lasted just over a month until the Spanish owners were forced to close the Argentine subsidiary due to ridiculous regulations) but I am lucky enough to have a bit of capital to invest, am retraining as a Chef and setting up a little hotel, so hopefully I will survive. For someone who likes to live in a city, I think BA is unequalled in terms of its culture and "movida". I love the way you don't need to plan but can just walk out of your front door and stumble across something interesting or just as you are getting a bit bored of your planned "quiet evening in" some friend will ring you at 11 pm and persuade you it is an appropriate time to put a clean shirt on and join the party.

I do sometimes wonder if I live in a parallel Buenos Aires to the one so many of the posters on this forum seem to live in. Mine is indeed peopled by friendly and beautiful women, many of whom I have had the pleasure to go out with or just be friends with. It has good service and waiters who go out of their way to pour a large measure of my favourite tiple. Last night was the second time in a month that I left an upmarket bar having been told by the owner not to worry about paying my not inconsiderable tab ( I can't fathom why, he doesn't seem gay and I am certainly not pretty anymore). It has chatty, helpful taxi drivers, my favourite of whom acts as a kind of bodyguard when I have to run round with large bags of money. For the last three months I have had 15 people working on my building. They all turn up on time and seem to be on schedule. The suppliers have so far all delivered at exactly the times they said they would. While I don't like Malbec, Argentina is starting to produce some spectacular and very reasonably priced Pinot Noirs. I believe that BA will undergo the same kind of food revolution that started in London 15 years ago (which turned a dreary cuisine into one of the world's best) as people seem to be opening to new flavours. I made green chicken curry for new years eve and watched an Argentine demolish a whole plate while clearly in pain from the picante because he "liked the flavour". I had an unexpectedly great meal in a place that I had never heard of on the food front (Leopoldo's) last night. The special of lechon with, for once, an incredible sauce could have been served at any michelin starred restaurant. And above all, BA seems to be a great place for making new and genuinely interesting friends which I'm afraid wasn't the case in London.

Anyway, I am sure that this post will now be reinvigorated as the naysayers chime in to tell me how deluded I am! I pretty much stopped posting here as the sea of misery that threatened to drown any happy opinion was getting depressing and leading to the whole forum getting ridiculously one sided as the content amongst us simply gave up. With that in mind I have also started a blog (see below) where I can happily write about what I love here and censor any negative responses.

Happy New Year!

Hate to disappoint you but London is not a green city at all

Erm, what? Have you been to London? There are thousands of tree lined streets, an abundance of parks, green spaces, commons and woods distributed throughout the capital.

I think you are both right.London probably has more acres of greenery but meeting the green spaces is a deliberate decision,i.e you need to go there ,whereas here the traditional barrios have treelined streets . Personally I prefer being surrounded by some greenery instead of an excursion to a green enclave, albeit that it may be just a block down the road.

One more reason is that I can buy and shoot fireworks from my balcony... I forgot about this one.
It's illegal to sell or possess fireworks in NYC courtesy of Mayor Bloomberg.

The reason why fireworks are illegal in New York State is not because of Bloomberg, it has been that way for many many years due to the number of firework related injurys in hospitals. Here, as per my husbands Uncle who used to work at the burn hospital in Caballito, it should be illegal as well. And why would anyone shoot fireworks off of their balcony in the first place?! Other than its a good way to start a fire, blow off a hand, land in someone elses balcony and cause damage to their property, make the dogs in the neighborhood deaf etc.

The reason why fireworks are illegal in New York State is not because of Bloomberg, it has been that way for many many years due to the number of firework related injurys in hospitals. Here, as per my husbands Uncle who used to work at the burn hospital in Caballito, it should be illegal as well. And why would anyone shoot fireworks off of their balcony in the first place?! Other than its a good way to start a fire, blow off a hand, land in someone elses balcony and cause damage to their property, make the dogs in the neighborhood deaf etc.
I think he shoots them off his balcony to communicate with the UFOs and attract them to his building.

Back