2.5 kilos of blueberries for 60 pesos. Any takers?

ok , i postes pictures of the blueberries and cranberries . what is what ? I cant be so difficult .

blueberries = arandano
cranberry = arandano de rojo

Alcraz is selling blueberries.

Cranberries are not normally sold here.

Vaccinium macrocarpon (latin scientific name)
Vaccinium - ancient Latin name of the Blueberry
macrocarpon - large fruited

I've never seen the fresh fruit nor the frozen varieties in any of the major chains or in Barrio Chino (where you can find practically anything), although it is true that at one point Jumbo and Carrefour had Ocean Spray juice.
I bought cases of the stuff when it went on sale in Carrefour because no one knew what the hell it was so I suppose they were getting rid of their remaining stock.
Best juice ever to clean out your system, or a great mix with OJ and grenadine.
Crans generally are grown in the pacific north west, and need a cooler climate, and if you've ever seen how the crans are harvested, washed and stored... it is essential that there is a clean water source for reservoirs that will contain the crop until they are packages and shipped.

Cranberry_harvest.jpg

here's some reference, you can never go wrong with the scientific latin ;)... http://www.mountainnature.com/plants/PlantListbyLatinName.htm

Hi , Gpop ! . The voice of reason
Cranberies are ARANDANOS. That established. What are BLUEBERRIES called here ?
Note the pictures I posted , one is of Cramberies , RED , as the one you posted.
The other is a pic of BLUEBERIES , the color is a givaway. Now , Can you tell me what BLUEBERIES are called here ?
I agree , cranbery juice is EXCELENT for uninary tract infections and urinary tract maintainance :)
Thanks Gpop !

Thanks Citygirl !
Ok , I established that the confusion has to do with another case of argentines breaking norm and calling anything whateve the hell they want .
Thanks , that settles my confusion .

I lived next to the indoor market in San Telmo and they frequently had blueberries in the little plastic crates just like you would see in other countries. Always had better luck finding exotic fruits and vegetables there (coconut, plantain, papaya, cilantro, etc.) than in barrio chino. Not cheap though.

Fabe said:
Hi , Gpop ! . The voice of reason
Cranberies are ARANDANOS. That established. What are BLUEBERRIES called here ?
Note the pictures I posted , one is of Cramberies , RED , as the one you posted.
The other is a pic of BLUEBERIES , the color is a givaway. Now , Can you tell me what BLUEBERIES are called here ?
I agree , cranbery juice is EXCELENT for uninary tract infections and urinary tract maintainance :)
Thanks Gpop !

These are of the same genus, so that would be why the word arandano is used interchangeably, even though, anyone who has tasted a cran knows the distinct flavour difference.
I've found that there are words to describe other things like PUMKIN is the direct translation from Spanish for calabaza. Argentine reference to calabaza is generally meaning the butternut squash, though a pumpkin and a butternut squash are clearly not the same thing.
In English there are extended names to differentiate between one species and another, and sometimes regional differences in naming convention; in Spanish it seems to simply go to the common denominator, or closest approximation without further consideration. So there is where the confusion begins. Availability of said fruit may change the naming conventions.
I had a hell of a time communicating with my mother-in-law when I first got here. I would spend most of the day with her (before i could work) and cooking with her so I had to have google image search handy JIC.

andaaa... voice of BORDOM is more like it :rolleyes: ...hehehe... I'm gonna go up to the pool and soak awhile!:D

More refs:
http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/plants/ericaceae/vaccinium/index.htm

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=691139

Cranberries are not grown in Argentina (at least not comercially).
The boom berry is arándano, which is mostly flown to the Northern hemisphere en contra-temporada.
Entre Ríos, Buenos Aires, Tucumán are the main producers, as far as I know.

ugh here we go again. cranberries are the ones that are in boom export. red buggers red ,.

to my point exactly of a former post of mine.....Does anyone know where to buy pasturized or raw milk in Buenos Aires? I do. Cottage cheese is so easy to make, as is great mozarella cheese.......it just can't be made with ultrapasturized milk........Quit complaining! I make tofu at least once a week for a few pesos (soy beans are 3 pesos el kilo) and have great asian food, buy Molbo milk at Coto for 2.47 pesos (richest milk here) make the best icecream (made with real cream and real eggs) for 14 pesos el kilo. The Recoletans and Pallermoineos would never survive in an emergency, unless they had servants to wipe their as..s......as to another post about Morton Quick Tender Salt, I found a chemist in my neighbourhood that has sodium nitrite and and sodium nitrate. He measured out exactly 6 1/2 grams and charged me 4 pesos......Have more hard salami and pepperoni (20 kilos) on it's way........Pizza with peperoni and non Argentine mozarella......Fresh grilled Italian sausage sandwiches with roasted peppers and onions, sweet and sour pork.......life here is of what you make it. yum yum.....Now all of you go to the restaurant, don't enjoy your food, complain about how bad the quality was and how the service was awful, how expensive it was and how you have to watch your money because you live on only 4 times the money as most Argentines earn, and you can't get these people to speak to you in English!

Back