20 De Diciembre..dia De Saqueous??

Thank you pitipur... how can we sign up for these advisories?!

i have no idea! I think I get it because I'm here for work, and my travel is booked through an agency, so the agency knows im here and sends me alerts like this. Pretty nice service! I'm happy to share them when I receive them. I also get warnings if there's any extreme weather (supposedly) coming, or any other things to avoid, like if there's a train accident for example (i've gotten 2 of these already, haha).

I also signed up for some sort of notification thing through the US embassy, but I dont recall getting any warnings yet from them.

Saqueos....? Entre Rios province congressman Rubén Oscar Almará i proposes to forbid tweeter and Face as a tool to incite looting!! Viva la Democracia.

http://www.infobae.com/2013/12/18/1531663-insolito-quieren-prohibir-los-mensajes-twitter-y-facebook-evitar-mas-saqueos-y-robos

0010492293.jpg

Thanks Pitipur, very handy info.
Though something bothers me about all this.
Last week we had 'dia de los hinchas de Boca' and naturally all the Boca fans descended on 9 de Julio. I say naturally, because they must have been drawn like moths to a candle or some built in gene made the switch go 'clunk'.
So are we to believe that the 20th of December is now and forever to be known as 'dia de los saqueos' (put Saqueos in capitals according to preference).
For if this is the case, what barbaric people we have become.

December is always a tough month in Argentina. I always insist to my family to not visit for Christmas, but they did again this year.
Keep in mind that after the holidays no one wants to cause any trouble and everyone goes on vacation, etc and things calm down.
I also think there is a lot of "fanning the flames": you say there will be riots and then riots happen because everyone assumes they will happen.
I was listening to the Clarin radio today and they actually have a micro-spot that (not sure how to say it in English, is is 5 seconds of music that separates one segment for another) that says "the appocolypse is here!"
So people begin to believe it and then act on it.

I have told my wife this is last Xmas season we spend in Argentina, we'll be taking our summer holidays in the wet and cold if I can help it from now on. I really don't mind Jan when everyone decamps to the coast and Uruguay, but December is not much fun here, Xmas eve is a OK with a sufficient dose of chandon but the food is the least appealling meal of the year here. Pinono and vittel tone...begone vile curses.

December is always a tough month in Argentina. I always insist to my family to not visit for Christmas, but they did again this year.
Keep in mind that after the holidays no one wants to cause any trouble and everyone goes on vacation, etc and things calm down.
I also think there is a lot of "fanning the flames": you say there will be riots and then riots happen because everyone assumes they will happen.
I was listening to the Clarin radio today and they actually have a micro-spot that (not sure how to say it in English, is is 5 seconds of music that separates one segment for another) that says "the appocolypse is here!"
So people begin to believe it and then act on it.

In Argentina, the apocalypse is a recurring event (festival?).

Last night the power got cut so we held a mini camp out on our 11th floor balcony, all to the serenades of caceroleros trying to lull us to sleep. As I lie looking at the stars it seemed somewhat like those December nights back in 2001: oppressive heat and rage. But then thinking about it, it was nothing like those nights 12 years ago; there were 6 or 7 people tops banging away like boludos on their fine Essen cookware, all while everyone else was just trying to get some bleeding sleep.

The lesson is there will always be a minority (dear Mr Marx used to call them the lumpenproletariat) with nothing better to do than disrupt the peace of the vast majority, and they inevitably end up being the crass tools of those with power (like Clarín or the K's), and they thrive off of the apocalyptic rantings of the yellow press.

I also get notifications from my company. Here is the latest one I recieved. Very similar to pitipur's. I am only posting Argentina but they are for global situations and recieve them daily
They come from International SOS, [email protected] and not sure if they are available to the general public...

Argentina: Buenos Aires, environs: Exercise caution, expect heightened security following calls for riots on 19-20 December
Personnel in the capital Buenos Aires and surrounding areas should anticipate heightened security and exercise caution following calls for riots and looting on 19-20 December, purportedly to commemorate the December 2001 civil unrest that ousted the government of former president Fernando de la Rúa (1999-2001).
While it is unclear to what extent the calls will be heeded, tensions persist following unrest linked to recent police strikes and security will be tightened in and around the capital, particularly in areas deemed at greatest risk by the authorities. Several supermarkets will also remain closed on 19-20 December.
More than 200 people in recent days have been arrested in connection with stray incidents of looting and rioting in the capital and elsewhere in the Greater Buenos Aires metropolitan area, including the town of Grand Bourg and the city of Lomas de Zamora (both Buenos Aires province).
Travel Advice
  • The anniversary of the 2001 riots has prompted major protests in recent years and localised scuffles between demonstrators and the police are possible on 19-20 December. While foreigners are unlikely to be targeted, any clashes will pose incidental risks to bystanders. Avoid all demonstrations as a routine security precaution. In the event of encountering unrest, return to a secure location such as your accommodation or office and remain there until the situation normalises.
  • Personnel should anticipate, but not be duly alarmed by, an increased presence of police officers or private guards on the streets, particularly around major supermarkets and low-income areas in the capital.
  • Exercise caution and leave an area at the first sign that a crowd is gathering.
  • Liaise with local contacts to reconfirm the status of routes and destinations before setting out. Plan journeys accounting for delays caused by security measures such as police patrols and checkpoints.
  • Looters and petty criminals may continue to take advantage of the vulnerable security situation. Take additional precautions to mitigate the risk of falling victim to crime.
  • Avoid low-income areas of Buenos Aires as recent violence has been concentrated there.
  • Monitor our travel security alerts on Argentina for related updates.

Back