20 De Diciembre..dia De Saqueous??

Shoeb

Registered
Is it true that 20th of Dec is expected to be the day of robberies in the city. Owner of a chinese supermarket told me, everyone is going to shut down on this day...

Wierd..atleast compared to my country..

I get these alerts sent to me from the travel service that my company uses and i received this last night:

Security: Various unions to strike Dec. 19-20 across Argentina. Large protests could occur. Expect traffic disruptions; violence, looting possible.
This alert affects Argentina
This alert began 16 Dec 2013 21:36 GMT and is scheduled to expire 21 Dec 2013 11:00 GMT.
  • Event: Union strikes (nationwide)
  • Time Frame: Dec. 19-20
  • Impact: Possible protests; localized traffic and business disruptions; potential looting and violence
Summary
Several workers' groups have announced plans to strike nationwide Dec. 19-20 to demand higher wages. Members of the Argentine Workers' Central Union (CTA) will strike Dec. 19 across the country. In Buenos Aires city, participants will also march from Congress to the Plaza de Mayo (map), starting at approximately 1700.

Unionized truck drivers are considering staging a nationwide strike Dec. 20 if they do not receive Christmas bonuses. A union representing court employees also intends to strike in Buenos Aires on the same day. Additional union-led labor actions are likely Dec. 19-20.

In addition to organized labor demonstrations, spontaneous anti-government protests could also occur in several cities, including Buenos Aires. Expect traffic disruptions around rally sites and heightened security nationwide Dec. 19-20. Clashes with police are possible. Several supermarkets around Buenos Aires will close Dec. 19-20 for fear of looting.

Background
Many unions have become emboldened by the results of recent widespread police strikes in which some police departments received 80 percent salary increases. In addition, many groups are choosing to demonstrate on Dec. 19 and 20 because it is the anniversary of the 2001 riots that occurred during a severe economic crisis and led to the resignation of former President Fernando de la Rua. Many citizens are increasingly upset with current President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner's handling of the economy, especially regarding the high rate of inflation, which private sector analysts put at nearly 25 percent.

Advice
Avoid all protests. Anticipate traffic disruptions around protest sties. Use extra caution in shopping centers due to the risk of looting. Avoid displaying signs of wealth in public, such as expensive electronic devices or jewelry. Consider limiting exposure to government buildings due to the probability of demonstrations.

If I don't get what I want, I am going on the rampage. Disgraceful.

Will we see increased policing in the city? Will the gendarmes be out in force to prevent this?

I get these alerts sent to me from the travel service that my company uses and i received this last night:

Security: Various unions to strike Dec. 19-20 across Argentina. Large protests could occur. Expect traffic disruptions; violence, looting possible.
This alert affects Argentina
This alert began 16 Dec 2013 21:36 GMT and is scheduled to expire 21 Dec 2013 11:00 GMT.

Advice
Avoid all protests. Anticipate traffic disruptions around protest sties. Use extra caution in shopping centers due to the risk of looting. Avoid displaying signs of wealth in public, such as expensive electronic devices or jewelry. Consider limiting exposure to government buildings due to the probability of demonstrations.

Thank you so much for posting this.

I suspected this would happen. It's shameful that the police did it in the first place and now others will follow suit because they saw it got results. Apparently they don't care about the casualties either.

I'd heard about planned looting of "chino" supermarkets from a friend of mine who lives in La Plata. He said that it was planned for the province. Now it seems like it might be bigger than just BA Province. There was apparently a Facebook campaign to loot the supermarkets.

Gendarmes are already posted outside a lot of these supermarkets in the province, as far as I know. But if there are disruptions nationwide, even they can't do much about it.

It is sad that our police departments here have basically set the precedent for these mobs.

Hopefully common sense prevails but I doubt it will.

PITIPUR:

Thanks for the information.

I just had a chat with a 73 year old woman who owns and runs a small despensa (by herself) in the village near my quinta.

In 41 years she has never been robbed and is well aware of what could happen in some Argentine cities this week.

She does not expect to have any trouble.

Back