20" Imac on the plane

Yes it is looks like a thin 20" plasma screen TV - 9.1kg , fits easily in my suitcase ( the whole system).

I think I will have to decide between suitcase or original box with protection around it. Too expensive to ship it.

Be careful because the mac can 'get lost' on its way and most air way companies put in their "small notes" that they can not be held responsable for the loss of 'valuable things'. So I would certainly not recommend to put it in the original box as that will attract attention.

I considered taking mine with me on the plane, as carry on it was not possible (I have a 24") and they told me not to put it in with the luggage as they are not insured when it breaks. Even if you put 'fragile" on it, it does not mean that they handle it with care. They advised us to send it as "cargo".

I then put it in our container and waited 8 weeks for it to arrive. :eek: which is obviously no option for you as you are here with a tourist visa...

I think that is the best idea: sell the imac & buy a laptop. Chances of your imac arriving safely are less that 50/50.... much less.

If you declare it at the customs office of the airport you leave from, you will get a document which you can show the local "aduana" here upon arrival. Just by declaring all your valuables, you will eliminate any and all problems. This declaration serves the purpose of being able to take anything back, hassle free, when you return home. (But if you never return those items, nobody cares.)

Of course, this is valid if you come in on a foreign passport, as a tourist or maybe temp resident. Either way, once you enter it, if they don't tag it onto your PP, you can sell it here when you want to. Some people say they had their passport marked and so they had to re-export the item, as they left the country.

With the customs declaration you don't even need the invoice.
When you leave Argentina with whatever valuables-electronics, you shoukd do the same, but in reverse. (Declaracion de Aduana) If they don't record the serial number of a gadget, you can bring back a similar, yet newer model fitting the same description.

anatolie said:
Yes it is looks like a thin 20" plasma screen TV - 9.1kg , fits easily in my suitcase ( the whole system).

I think I will have to decide between suitcase or original box with protection around it. Too expensive to ship it.

To be clear, if you ship it, you are heading towards certain -heavy- problems, while it's relatively a piece of cake to bring it with you (apart of the safety concerns).

I think nobody on this board can object this last statement ?

For the safety concerns, well, bring your own insurance : buy an Ipad in the US (to be released on april 3rd in the US ?). Bring it here and sell it for the double price quickly. This one, you can take with you in the plane (you are 100% sure to make a double profit while there is a small risk -5% ?- that your Imac gets stolen).

That's Argentinean "combinazione" !

French Jurist, I am in London UK. It cost me £780 ( £1 = 1.525 USD today) in January 2009, I could perhaps get £500-550 (750-800USD) on Ebay if I sold it, not guaranteed and not worth the hassle- all my files are on there - personal / work. If I sold it in Argentina, would probably get a few hundred dollars more.

Another solution is putting it in a microwave box I found : ) with bubble wrap and clothes around the Imac and it fits into one of my suitcases, without taking up much space- weight restriction is 32kg anyway - plenty. I will lock the suitcase for security- but maybe that isn't allowed.

Yes there is the risk of it being nicked by airport / luggage staff.

I can imagine what sort of 'expensive' clothes some people would be putting in checked-in luggage, that are worth a lot more than my Imac. So I am inclined to take the risk.

I can also prove that it is used and personal if asked at Customs.

Anatolie, can't you see my post? I just gave you the solution. DECLARE IT AT CUSTOMS, in London airport! That's what the customs officers are there for. Case closed!!

Sorry just saw your message, thank you! Very late here, wasn't expecting many people trying to help.

So I will declare it at Heathrow customs and check it in a box in my suitcase with enough protection around it. Declaring it will protect me from being asked for 'whatever' in Buenos Aires, but not from theft or damage... obviously : )

Back