4 Months In Argentina Or Colombia For Gay American

robertrulez

Registered
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I suppose there will be some sort of bias since it is a BSAS expat discussion board but I was wondering if I can get some honest opinions.

Before starting law school this August, I wanted to travel to South America for four months in order to improve my Spanish. I'm near fluency (as it was my major in college), but I still have problems with grammar and my American accent is very strong. I know that Colombia has a clearer, more universal form of Spanish and it might be cheaper as a whole, but I'm gay so that kind of is a big deal when it comes to choosing where I want to go. I hear the gay scene in Argentina is the best on the continent so I'm really learning towards Buenos Aires.

Another variable is that I am mestizo -- I don't generally have problems dating in America but I do live in a metro of six million so it is a diverse place overall and people are generally openminded. Argentina is white -- and I've heard of problems of discrimination against Bolivians and Peruvians, so I worry that meeting Argentines will be difficult because of being brown

Also I have an online part time job ($900 monthly) and will have about 4k saved up so I think I'm financially sound in both countries.

Opinions?

Another variable is that I am mestizo -- I don't generally have problems dating in America but I do live in a metro of six million so it is a diverse place overall and people are generally openminded. Argentina is white -- and I've heard of problems of discrimination against Bolivians and Peruvians, so I worry that meeting Argentines will be difficult because of being brown

Brown guy here. The odds of you suffering violence in Argentina due to your skin color are ASTRONOMICAL. That being said, racism does exist in Argentina, but is somewhat covert, and very different of how we see racism in the USA. It is a lot more subtle and careful. If you are a US citizen, you will generally be well treated, no matter your skin color. Until they realize that you are American, you might hear some veiled racial insults on the streets, bus or subway. Here in this forum, however, the racial insults are very overt.

Argentina today is a lot less racist than it was 30-40 years ago. But racism still exists and it is strong in some segments of the society here. Despite that, don't let it stop you from coming. You will probably meet some very nice people here. Just accept the shortcomings of the country and you will be fine.

The only other thing I'd add to what Camberiu says is that the Spanish spoken here is significantly different, at least in tone, than just about anywhere, but I think you may already realize that, just want to make sure you know to what extent. Having learned Spanish originally in Texas, I still speak a more Mexican-oriented Spanish and intend to keep it - you can certainly work on your Spanish here but you might want to keep your American accent somewhat over the Porteño :). Not very many Spanish-speakers pronounce "yo" like "sho" or "lluvia" like "shuvia", etc. (I mean, really, really full "sh"). If you can keep things like that from creeping into your speech you should be fine on that regard.

I agree with Camberiu about the racism - you may be more likely to find more issues with being from the US, actually, than problems with brown skin. I wouldn't say Argentina is "white" - I certainly don't fit in as an Argentino at first glance, and I'm quite white. But there is definitely racism against some of the poorer South American people here, in some cases, particularly against those with large indigenous populations and people who look "indio" (high cheek bones, real dark skin for example), as opposed to just brown skin. These cases are mostly among the higher-middle and upper class folk, although it exists among other social strata sometimes as well. I doubt you'll have much problem with this.

And I don't mean to say that because you are American you will find issues either. In the 8 years I've been here, I've only had one real ugly encounter with someone who took offense at my being from the US. But when people ask you where you're from, don't say "soy Americano" say "soy estadounidense" or "norteamericano". The majority of the people here don't really have a problem with someone saying they're American, but there are enough that resent the US population from claiming sole "American" status ("che boludo, ¡somos Americanos tambien!") that it could cause some discomfort.

As a tourist for four months, you should be fine here.

Also I have an online part time job ($900 monthly) and will have about 4k saved up so I think I'm financially sound in both countries.

Opinions?
No offense, you probably are not financially sound in BsAs. Your income is probably just enough for rent, you can easily spend 2k/month in Argentina if you are careful, especially for the first 1-2 months. It depends on how you handle it, just to warn you that BsAs is not a cheap place if you like to live under a decent situation.

Camberiu covered the race thing pretty well so let me touch on something else.

7600 for four months of living and traveling is far from Spartan but it might be a little tight.

You'll be totally fine here, although honestly I think Colombia is a lot friendlier and also has a, let's just say, easier to recognize accent. Prices are better there too. If you do go to Colombia, though, go to Medellín. Best of luck to you either way!

Come ,you will have a great time here,don´t worry.
About the gay scene,I see lots of gay people here,so,they probably go out so they have to have places.

No offense, you probably are not financially sound in BsAs. Your income is probably just enough for rent, you can easily spend 2k/month in Argentina if you are careful, especially for the first 1-2 months. It depends on how you handle it, just to warn you that BsAs is not a cheap place if you like to live under a decent situation.

Lol wut? I'm talking about dollars. The annual average salary in Argentina is less than 5k. You're telling me I can't survive on 2k a month?

Back