5 Most Common Excuses Argentines Like To Use

A "sound byte" does not contain sufficient information to support a position, it merely gives the position and leaves a vacuum as to why anyone would support such a position. And therefore equating intellectual discourse with hearing a bit of music to determine if you want to buy an album is also a false analogy - in my opinion and according to my position on the matter :)

"Sound bytes" in my comment refers to politicians, at least in the US, who make a short comment on the TV that fits within a few seconds of airtime that summarizes their position. The problem with sound bytes in this sense is that there is no discussion, no argument, just a bunch of short comments that people begin to take as fact or, conversely, shrug off as nonsense. They are used because supposedly people are not capable of the attention span required to understand the points behind a position. Also, if you repeat something often enough, people will begin to believe it and by extension, the less extraneous the information presented, the more likely people will believe it whether it has basis in reality or not (Goebbels was an artist at this - take a look at the Nazi propaganda machine).

Without complete discussion of the facts as people see them, it is easy to start slipping in meme-generating concepts that become accepted all to easily and no one ever has the opportunity to discuss and think critically related to a specific topic.

I certainly write too much at times, but I would rather err on the side of too much information than too little. It is a waste of my time to throw out a couple of comments that are not backed up by examples or discussion of specific points, when talking about something I consider serious. Without information to backup a statement, others to whom I am communicating don't have any reason to reconsider their own positions, as I do on a continual basis when presented with information that I can use to evaluate my own positions.

In this particular case, I could have said simply "equating expats blowing off steam on an expat forum is not the same as equating rude behavior in a host's house, as a guest". The problem with just stating this brief position is that there is more tied up in the concept I am advancing than just the wrongly-suited analogy. It would have been a waste of time to stop with the quote just given because it would have done nothing to change anyone's mind, or at least offer an alternative to the other position posited.

Of course, if people will not read what I write, that is also a problem, but at least I have done my part. I have more chance of convincing someone else of a different position to their own if they read, and those who read are more likely to consider my position than those who don't. I try not to write to the lowest common denominator.
ElQueso, sorry that interpreted your meaning of "sound bytes"wrongly..However, do like your not too long or way too long writing!
Keep your excellent writing style for long. You're my inspiration (also steveinbsas)for my apprenticing the difficult English language, wanting to becoming as good as a native speaker soon! Ha,ha,haaa.

Some "so called" native English speakers keep sending me private messages with English lessons. I will tell them to send them to you as well.
OK, willing to be doctrined by Bs As living native English speakers as long they are literate in the idiom of genuine English.
I consider good English: of course 1st the King's English and that is GB,Wales speakers, then the modern shanki Ingles too..
But in Tokyo, we have so called English teachers from all over the world, we have the AU,the NZ,even from Nigeria teaching the proper so called English language? But all these said, the teachers in Bs As, has to have passed all of the rigorous TOEFL certification though..

In Tokyo, we have English teachers from all over the world, we have the AU,the NZ,even from Nigeria teaching the English language..?

Don't you dare tell someone from USA/Uk, that a Nigerian speaks English language from birth.

https://www.google.com.ar/?gws_rd=ssl#q=native+language+of+nigeria

I've got a great story...

My old boss where I worked told me about alot of the BS that regular employees pull here to get out of work. Of course he pays in "negro" so he kinda get's what he deserves LOL..

Anywyas...

He had a kid that came called in a few times. well, one day came and he called in and gave the usual "Che no me siento bien, creo que mi cayo mal algo...soy indispuesto...me quedo aca en casa descansar nos vemos mañana"

Well, my old boss had no one to cover the shift so he closed up shop. Besides, he remembered that the Mar del Plata football club "Aldosivi" was playing a championship game up in San Miguel de Tucuman...it was advertised and a big deal....besides my boss was an "hincha" de Aldo.. So he goes home, later when the game comes on, he's watching this game on television and he sees the flag for one of the local "peñas" for Aldosivi.....

and low and behold...their jumping up and down in the bleachers in Tucuman at the stadium....?? Yup, you guessed it THERE HE WAS....mr "me siento indispuesto" in all his glory!!! Hhhahahahahhahaaa...... I love this story. Saw him right there on TV....BUSTED!!

Needless to say the next day he came in and was like....oh what a rough day I had I was so sick....blah blah...well my boss said: Hey by the way great game in Tucuman, how was it? he git fired on the spot. Always cracked me up to hear that one!!! Even so my boss said: If he was a good employee he might've given him the day anyways...LOL...this crap is so typical here...

"La vida me complica" is one of the first ones I learnt, works surprisingly well! :D

Back