55% Inflation. New Era Of Honesty???

Have any of you monitored the prices for new cars? I have bought a new car about half a year ago and exactly the same make and model now costs 40% more than when I bought it. It is a cheap car made in Brazil (so it has no extra tax for "luxury cars"). I had to look up the new price for the insurance.
What you bought a car made in Brasil? I thought all Germanic people prouds themselves in producing and consuming quality products? Is it Brasil made Seat~V.W. brands? Or Fiat, GM's or other brands.? How cheap can one procure car made in Brazil? Care to elaborate a bit...

Have any of you monitored the prices for new cars? I have bought a new car about half a year ago and exactly the same make and model now costs 40% more than when I bought it. It is a cheap car made in Brazil (so it has no extra tax for "luxury cars"). I had to look up the new price for the insurance.

Just waiting for my Toyota to arrive from Brazil. It has gone from 98.000 in October to 132.000 from Feb 1st with another 10% from March 1st.

Andrew Graham-Yooll puts matters in perspective: http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/152191/a-nation-as-seen-from-1913

Alrighty then.

When you guys are done talking about whether the real inflation is 25%, 35%, 55%, or whatever other number we can dream up, and hey, why dream small after all... I was more hoping we'd talk about why they are suddenly being more honest. Is it what you read everywhere in the mainstream meda, that they want to start playing nicer in the international community because they might actually need a little credit from the IMF, or investment from outside, etc, or is something a little deeper going on? Is it possible they know a bigger crisis is coming, such as failing reserve, larger devaluation, corralito, etc, and they are trying to ease the public into crisis mode one little alarming fact at a time to avoid rioting in the streets?

What you bought a car made in Brasil? I thought all Germanic people prouds themselves in producing and consuming quality products?

Most cars sold here are either made in Brazil or Argentina. So not a big choice. Cars imported from outside the Mercosur or China are usually extremely expensive.

Is it Brasil made Seat~V.W. brands? Or Fiat, GM's or other brands.? How cheap can one procure car made in Brazil? Care to elaborate a bit...

I think the cheapest cars with a little bit of safety and comfort (double airbag, ABS, A/C, etc.) will cost you around 100.000 pesos these days.

Alrighty then.

When you guys are done talking about whether the real inflation is 25%, 35%, 55%, or whatever other number we can dream up, and hey, why dream small after all... I was more hoping we'd talk about why they are suddenly being more honest. Is it what you read everywhere in the mainstream meda, that they want to start playing nicer in the international community because they might actually need a little credit from the IMF, or investment from outside, etc, or is something a little deeper going on? Is it possible they know a bigger crisis is coming, such as failing reserve, larger devaluation, corralito, etc, and they are trying to ease the public into crisis mode one little alarming fact at a time to avoid rioting in the streets?

I doubt is the second option because they don't really care. There aren't any real consequences for lying as you can see. Argentina has been dealing with years of high inflation and devaluation.. but when have they said anything honest about that? They just invent something up and will continue to do so. They can just say the inflation has been rising only this year as a result of the sojeros not selling the harvest, the especuladores betting against the country and Shell's CEO conspiring against the economy, without ever agreeing that the previous numbers were made up, because.. "the two measure different things" as they stated. So, in other words, they are saying the truth even when one thing contradicts the other.

Not falsifying the numbers doesn't mean telling the truth, so even if Argentina faces a new crisis.. they will put make up on it and tell you is a disney's princess instead of a giant dragon fire-breathing that just ate 5 people. For me this is just related to the IMF and the ability to get funding in the future as they know they could be short of cash by the end of the presidential term. Getting kicked out of the IMF will complicate things even further with the Paris Club and with the vulture funds, something they don't want. They need money coming in and the only way is getting on the good side of the people with the deep pockets.

Unfortunately, this government has shown that they don't know how to handle money wisely, so getting a loan to keep the model running is going to be a repetition of Menem's presidential term. I think the goal here is to ride out the wave this year with the money from the harvest + reserves and next year get a loan from the IMF until elections. Well, this is my opinion at least, we will see at the end of 2015 how things went.

Hi,

First, to start a discution about inflation, you should know hot to calculated. You cannot say: "ohh, my peannut butter in the Barrio Chino went up 50%, so that is the WHOLE country Inflation Index".

To groceries you have to add utility bill, transpor, taxes, etc.

Every single item will not have an increase in % like they had in January. That is a fact.

Cheers!

The 3,7 % is an average National Price Index, I believe it's conservative and favors the regime. Possibly the index for Capital Federal and Greater B.A. is much higher!

Most cars sold here are either made in Brazil or Argentina. So not a big choice. Cars imported from outside the Mercosur or China are usually extremely expensive.

I think the cheapest cars with a little bit of safety and comfort (double airbag, ABS, A/C, etc.) will cost you around 100.000 pesos these days.

AR$100k? only ? Around here if permitted to be sold, not even the Cherries crap made in china is that cheap! US$10k for a new auto? Iam in, a chump change and super affordable! Buy me a $10k car and travel extensively there then sell it go home, pack up and return ! Will be ideal process indeed!

Back