7 Years In Buenos Aires, C.f. Here Now 45 Years Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the middle of writing one of my patented long-winded replies to this thread when Michael made his second post. My original post was going to be to explain to him why his original post came off as seeming suspicious and perhaps had many of the signs of a scam. I saw he had posted a phone number in his second post, so I thought to myself "why not give the guy a call and see what's up?"

One thing I can say with certainty - the guy who answered the phone is, to me, the very same guy who has the voice in the video on the link that his original post linked to. A very distinct Boston accent whose voice sounded just like the guy's voice in the video. To be thoroughly honest, I suppose that someone could do a voice-over on an existing video of a fire, but that video didn't seem like that to me.

We talked for about a half hour or so. I found out what his disability is, also his wife's (which hopefully is short-term and she is recovering). He had the kind of details about the incident, about how he's currently living, etc, that make me believe he is an American living here in currently dire circumstances. I could hear his wife in the background adding details as we talked. Personally, I'm convinced that the guy's for real, but I would not presume to lead anyone else into feeling secure about this just off of what I say. I understand the first feeling on something like this being anywhere from extreme caution to outright laughable certainty that he is trying to pull a scam. However, "scam" is not my thought after having conversed with Michael.

I've known two different Americans here that were scammers. They both felt suspicious to me within a short time after they started talking, the things they talked about and the direction the conversations went. One of them died recently (I heard through the grapevine) and the other one left a few years ago and as far as I know hasn't been heard from again. Both of these guys did considerable damage to people I know, as well as to people I only heard about. In the early 80's, in Houston, I met an actual Nigerian (or so he told me) face-to-face who tried to scam me, before the internet and email made such things even easier.

I know that scammers can be very persuasive but Michael didn't come off like that at all to me.

I can understand someone, one who knows himself not to be a scammer, getting pissed off when someone calls that person a scammer and is in real trouble - and he acknowledged that he didn't handle the second post very well.

I suggested that Michael tone down the anger and provide some more details as to what happened, what kind of situation he's in, etc., if he wants to convince people that he's for real.

Respectfully, it is totally possible that he is from the US. I once had a tenant - who was also a forum member - who writes in almost exactly the same style, despite being from Alabama! Perhaps some of you will remember the drama I had in getting her out of my apartment about a year and a half ago...

By the way, she still harasses me from time to time and has even contacted people who left reviews of my apartment on TripAdvisor with her libelous lies as recently as a couple of months ago.

The consequences of trying to help can be devastating!

Thank You sir! I appreciate And Acknoledge All your Advice We spoke About On the Phone!!! No matter what I feel already You are A friend, Even Just speaking on the phone!!! I am tryng to upload and post photos of my Unitd States Passport from my Pc ! no matter ARGH to the kind 2 gentlemens replies , In Boston Writing in caps can mean joy and Excitement also Argh???? are you a Sweeden Citizen???? Oh I haveMy USA BIRTH CERTFICTE RIGHT HERE AND It,s no ARGH from sweeden or Kenya Like Obamas LOL LOL Have fun with Me But I Have Found1 true friend here ty GOD!! Upload Photo easy any advice!! Thak You!!! :)

Just talked to Polina on the phone, instead of money, i offered to round up a couple of guys from the forum and pitch in some money to buy groceries for them and take it to their apartment. i will call again to talk to Michael later on tonight to see what he has to say about it
I will let the forum know what happens after the call

I was in the middle of writing one of my patented long-winded replies to this thread when Michael made his second post. My original post was going to be to explain to him why his original post came off as seeming suspicious and perhaps had many of the signs of a scam. I saw he had posted a phone number in his second post, so I thought to myself "why not give the guy a call and see what's up?"

One thing I can say with certainty - the guy who answered the phone is, to me, the very same guy who has the voice in the video on the link that his original post linked to. A very distinct Boston accent whose voice sounded just like the guy's voice in the video. To be thoroughly honest, I suppose that someone could do a voice-over on an existing video of a fire, but that video didn't seem like that to me.

We talked for about a half hour or so. I found out what his disability is, also his wife's (which hopefully is short-term and she is recovering). He had the kind of details about the incident, about how he's currently living, etc, that make me believe he is an American living here in currently dire circumstances. I could hear his wife in the background adding details as we talked. Personally, I'm convinced that the guy's for real, but I would not presume to lead anyone else into feeling secure about this just off of what I say. I understand the first feeling on something like this being anywhere from extreme caution to outright laughable certainty that he is trying to pull a scam. However, "scam" is not my thought after having conversed with Michael.

I've known two different Americans here that were scammers. They both felt suspicious to me within a short time after they started talking, the things they talked about and the direction the conversations went. One of them died recently (I heard through the grapevine) and the other one left a few years ago and as far as I know hasn't been heard from again. Both of these guys did considerable damage to people I know, as well as to people I only heard about. In the early 80's, in Houston, I met an actual Nigerian (or so he told me) face-to-face who tried to scam me, before the internet and email made such things even easier.

I know that scammers can be very persuasive but Michael didn't come off like that at all to me.

I can understand someone, one who knows himself not to be a scammer, getting pissed off when someone calls that person a scammer and is in real trouble - and he acknowledged that he didn't handle the second post very well.

I suggested that Michael tone down the anger and provide some more details as to what happened, what kind of situation he's in, etc., if he wants to convince people that he's for real.

What a massive heart you have...

You are Totalley Right Sir! i use my instincts God Given, Like the man who just helped us with a donation, I have tried to upload A photo of my Passport UNITED STATES Main page and They ask for a Url? Not the same as Face Book! Thank you For Your Comment, I have let Go let God as the saying Goes!! If you Ever are in the área of Patenal Stop by and you will see the mess and We pay Faithfully from My 1000 per month Disibility Money Every Month She Gives No contract One room Apr small, No Kitckenette Will not Fix No Reciepts, And Now She Texted us and said Next month The Rent without any utilities will be from 3,000 pesos to 3,500 Pesos, HUH Because she knows We have no place to go I have Been Spending our Food money To try and repair Uncompensated Damage For 6 months!! I dont blame you for not tusting!! oh yeah The owner the 1 room Apt her mother owns a real estate comp, with $$ Lawyers our situation is reverse of yours! We just need $$ to Move She is evil $$ For Buy Guarentee food ect.... if You would like to stop bye here I would Love to meet you and you could see this villa miseria. our address is Maturín 2337 APT. 7 En Patnal barrio thank you again for Imput or call say hello 4588 0803

I am Home Now sir Thank you for Helping My Number Phone is 4588 0803! Michael S Smith Is my rel Name!!

sir you are right We have been struggling so bad here for mostly for 5 straight years, NO help From Embassys or US state Dept, and i realised I had to start a Proffesional Fundraiser Where they get a percent of the Money donated- put it this way You can think i am un truthfull I had to beg on the streets here and i still feel the pain where a rich argentine? Threw 4 peso coins hit me in the face and in spanish Said Get a Job or Go back to The USA! I am Disabled My Back was broken 10 years ago and disibility deposits 1,000 us dollars per month in my account, cant survive on that ! Proof Come visit Our visia I invite you sir Maturín 2337 in Patenal Barrio or call and chat we still have a pone thank god Michael Smith 4588 0803 ty again for the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back