90 days

This discussion gets more ridiculous with each additional post. Look if parking your car costs $2 and the fine for not paying the $2 is $1 then I'm going to pay the fine every time.
I also said people who plan on staying there long-term should get residency. But if you are there (my guess probably 80-90% of the people on this site) temporarily then all this business of going to Uruguay or immigration several times during your stay is just a waste of time and money. If the Argentines were really serious about this they would have a real penalty.
If people don't like my comments they don't have to read them. Some people there seem to think that freedom of expression ends when anybody says something bad about Argentina. Some people who are in this camp may have their own agenda. I am not engaged in the business of trying to sell services or products to other expats.

Stan - while I don't disagree that one can just pay the fine, I think most people would say that consistently overstaying your visa is neither wise nor responsible behavior. We are extraneros in a foreign country and as a simple matter of courtesy as a member of the global community, we owe it to adhere to the laws of the country in which we are guests.

I can only tell you one thing: I had a meeting with the Director of Migrations last week, I told him my concerns about illegal people committing crime here, the differences of requisites for people coming from border countries and Americans, etc, and he assured me that they have all the information and background from everybody, and that even though some seem to have benefits, that can change at any time. The bureaucracy sucks, but if things change and not in your benefit, then you won´t be able to complain...

Quoting "citygirl": ". . . overstaying your visa is neither wise nor responsible behavior. We are extraneros in a foreign country and as a simple matter of courtesy as a member of the global community, we owe it to adhere to the laws of the country in which we are guests."
Totalmente de acuerdo.

Well people can do what they want. If it makes you feel good go and spend the extra time and money to refresh your visa, if you don't it won't make any difference. Given the current rules and penalties I wouldn't change my advice to anyone.
Again I'm talking about people who aren't planning on staying permanently. If you are going for residency then the 90 day tourist visa doesn't apply anyway. What's the difference between what I'm suggesting and people going in an out to refresh the tourist visa? If you are really living there shouldn't you have appled for residency? Isn't refreshing your visa every 90 days just another way of skirting the law?
If this is what you are doing you are not really there legally either. I don't think the government (if they were interested) would find it OK for people on tourist visas to be in reality living there permanently.
After all there are probably many thousands of Argentines living in the states illegally, isn't it fair for a few of us to overstay our visas there?

"nikad" said:
I can only tell you one thing: I had a meeting with the Director of Migrations last week, I told him my concerns about illegal people committing crime here, the differences of requisites for people coming from border countries and Americans, etc, and he assured me that they have all the information and background from everybody, and that even though some seem to have benefits, that can change at any time. The bureaucracy sucks, but if things change and not in your benefit, then you won´t be able to complain...

>>I told him my concerns about illegal people committing crime here
who?...american backpacker kids?
>>the differences of requisites for people coming from border countries and Americans, etc,
are there differences? the info sheets at immgrations appear to relate to any foreigner - same stuff - apostilles, legalisations, police records etc etc
>>he assured me that they have all the information and background from everybody
hmmn - immigrations appears to be disorganised and flawed - maybe thats just my observation...(?)
>>The bureaucracy sucks,
did he say anything about agents cutting queues? getting turnos way before anyone else?

"Stanexpat" said:
Again I'm talking about people who aren't planning on staying permanently. If you are going for residency then the 90 day tourist visa doesn't apply anyway. What's the difference between what I'm suggesting and people going in an out to refresh the tourist visa? If you are really living there shouldn't you have appled for residency? Isn't refreshing your visa every 90 days just another way of skirting the law?
What is the difference? One is legal, the other isn't. Many of us may be here on tourist visas & in the process of applying for long-term visas, residency, etc. As it stands, you can continue on a tourist visa indefinitely. Continuing as long as you want on one is legal, provided you continue getting extensions and don't attempt to work while you are there.
Again - no one is saying you can't overstay & pay the fine. I just question why someone would deliberately choose to do so when there are fairly easy legal options to get an extension. To each his own..
I just think it's a matter of being a responsible traveler and shows a respect to the place that you are. But again..shrug..whatever people want to do.

>>I told him my concerns about illegal people committing crime here
who?...american backpacker kids?

--- nope, peruvians, bolivians, etc

>>the differences of requisites for people coming from border countries and Americans, etc,
are there differences? the info sheets at immgrations appear to relate to any foreigner - same stuff - apostilles, legalisations, police records etc etc

---- there are many differences for Mercosur countries, you should re read the website and look for the specifics.

>>he assured me that they have all the information and background from everybody
hmmn - immigrations appears to be disorganised and flawed - maybe thats just my observation...(?)

--- It looks like that, I agree, but who knows, right?

>>The bureaucracy sucks,
did he say anything about agents cutting queues? getting turnos way before anyone else?

--- You should address your concerns to them directly.

"citygirl" said:

What is the difference? One is legal, the other isn't. Many of us may be here on tourist visas & in the process of applying for long-term visas, residency, etc. As it stands, you can continue on a tourist visa indefinitely. Continuing as long as you want on one is legal, provided you continue getting extensions and don't attempt to work while you are there.
Again - no one is saying you can't overstay & pay the fine. I just question why someone would deliberately choose to do so when there are fairly easy legal options to get an extension. To each his own..
I just think it's a matter of being a responsible traveler and shows a respect to the place that you are. But again..shrug..whatever people want to do.

I agree citygirl, this is like telling people to go rob and they won´t get caught, it is deliberately encouraging the illegal....

[/quote]
I don't think you are seeing this correctly, sure you arrive on tourist visa you apply for residency, get temporary residency and after a period you get permanent residency. This is O.K.
There are many people who are living there permanently on a tourist visa (getting it refreshed every 90 days indefinitely) that are no more legal than people who don't bother and pay the fine. A tourist visa is a visa for a person to visit as a tourist, its not permission to live in Argentina like a permanent resident.
I know people who came to the U.S. on 6 month tourist visa, would leave the country and then return to the country a week or two later. This worked a couple of times, but eventually their visa's were cancelled and they were denied entry. Immigration decided they were acutally living in the U.S. (which was true), which isn't allowed on a tourist visa.

Back