90 days

"pericles" said:
Stanexpat advocating expats in Argentina to break the law is below the belt. The government here will be changing very soon the 90 day visa and do not believe that you can stay for eternity just with a short trip to Uruguay or Stans illegal response of staying as long as you like and paying a fine at the Airport
Hey Pericles -- please provide links and sources for your statements that the visa is going to change. I would like more information on this, and frankly without links I don't see why I should believe the statement. Thanks

"cbphoto" said:
I have to agree with Stan and SF... Why are the rules so strict in the states and so lax here... $ People that go to the states illegally... go their for work...to send $ back to their families... People that come to Argentina... and over stay their visas... are bringing money into this economy..that would not be here...if they were not... hence 50pesos penalty.. lax about renewing "tourist" visa.. every 3 months...for years.To take the boat... is so absurdly expensive..not just for argies.. but even foreigners. A 45 minute boat trip for 100u$s... they are the thieves... stealing from the consevative, follow all the rules expats. That being said... if you plan on living here on a more permanent bases.. getting your DNI etc.... which will be a major headache.. could be even more of one.. if you have been "illegal" on several ocassions..

So we should all be happy welcoming more illegality into the country and thankful too? I do not support illegal immigrants in any way anywhere, neither in my country nor in others.

BTW -- the migraciones website says that you are only allowed to renew your 90 day visa ONCE:
El plazo máximo de permanencia que pueden otorgar las Oficinas Consulares es de noventa (90) días.
Dicho plazo puede prorrogarse por una única vez, por igual lapso al otorgado, presentándose en cualquiera de las Delegaciones de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones antes de que expire el plazo originalmente concedido.

"sanfrancisco" said:
This turned out to be a great topic.

However, i want to thank Stan. his answer is really the one i was looking for.

If i was looking for the morally/lawfuly correct answer i would have called up the embassy.

Thanks everyone - fun read.

Sure man, go illegal and have fun, after all, aren´t you here to do all those things you can´t do back home?

As much as I dislike Beaurocracy there are rules that I must follow in another country as their guest. For people from the USA and other places to advocate breaking laws in Argentina on a public forum is plain disrespect .
And I do agree with Nikad about the Colonia trip about 90 percent is local and not expat connected.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse. Let me state this one more time.People living full-time in Argentina should have residency to be legal. Going to Uruguay or migrations every 3 months to renew your tourist visa does not make you legal. A tourist visa is a temporary visa for people to visit the country for the purpose of tourism, it is not valid for the purpose of living there full-time. Therefor people who go the extra mile and spend the extra money to get their visas refreshed every 3 months are no more legal than those that don't bother. The don't bother route costs 50 pesos and 5 minutes. The other non-legal way of doing it costs a lot more time and money. From a legal standpoint there is no difference in either case.
The reality is that the government there does not really care. If they ever change and decide to take this seriously you would get the boot just as quickly with your endless string of tourist renewals as with nothing at all.
I mentioned in an earlier post above what happens in the U.S. to people who try to live there full-time on a tourist visa, its not allowed, and when you are caught your going to be on the next plane out.
I think this topic has been beaten to death.

"pericles" said:
And I do agree with Nikad about the Colonia trip about 90 percent is local and not expat connected.
take the tourist and 'expats' out of the equation and you have a very expensive boat to run and maintain and subsidise.
Here, Buquebus is part of the machinery so it will never get dumped - in Barcelona-Baleares the prices got soo extortionate that it was ridiculous - totally out of touch - even having a Balearic residency discount it was very pricey and they were 'competively displaced' - at the time (early 90's) the Buquebus was considered a fast modern boat - now...old and outdated and slow compared to commuter boats in SE Asia.
I hope some Asian Argentines put 2+2 together and bring a boat here and give some real competition to Buquebus.
...and these illegal immigrant / wealthy, educated backpacker types are exactly what ARG needs - to spend, stay and settle. To introduce some FRESH ideas.

"Fishface" said:
...and these illegal immigrant / wealthy, educated backpacker types are exactly what ARG needs - to spend, stay and settle. To introduce some FRESH ideas.
Well, you are certainly entitled to have your own opinion, I believe that if the country need immigrants, there should be a plan and it should be managed and structured by Migraciones not by any individual that thinks he can decide instead of complying to the laws in any case... then again it is just my humble opinon.

"sanfrancisco" said:
Sure man, go illegal and have fun, after all, aren´t you here to do all those things you can´t do back home?

Buuu u u u u Nikad!

I dont need your permission. what are you guilty of?

Eat dirt! jaja!

My husband who happens to be American, respect my country as much as I respect his, plain and simple. You are an ignorant rude possibly spoiled kid that will run back to mom and dad´s basement once your little adventure is over, so I won´t waste my time with you. Hmmm, by the way, how does one call an extender like sf...? gringo wet back?

just had a thought... with the economic melt down to the north.. the term "Wetback" will have a new meaning. But, only with the diference that in buenos aires, north americans will always be wellcome.

Back