90 days

Well - I can go investigating but I don't believe there is a limit on how long you can have a tourist visa. Hence, you can renew forever & it's legal. Would you want to - proabably not. You couldn't open a bank account, get a job, qualify for resident prices, etc. But if you have the funds to just hang out forever and play tourist- the gov't doesn't seem to have a problem with it. It is legal to remain on a tourist visa as long as you leave the country or go to migraciones every 90 days.
Your solution is not legal.
We can debate this forever but obviously we see things differently. I think the wisest thing is to follow the laws of a country, even if it costs me an extra 50 pesos or the trip to Uruguay for the day. You obviously felt differently.

Living full-time in Argentina on a tourist visa is like working in there on a tourist visa, you aren't suppose to do it. Going and getting it refreshed every 90 days does nothing to make it valid if you are living there full-time (out of status).
An excerpt from Wikipedia follows:
"Entering a country without a valid visa or visa exemption may result in detention and removal (deportation or exclusion) from the country. Undertaking activities that are not authorized by the status of entry (for example, working while possessing a non-worker tourist status) can result in the individual being deemed removable, in common speech an illegal alien. Such violation is not a violation of a visa, however despite the common misuse of the phrase, but a violation of status hence the term "out of status."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourist_visa

According to Migration Laws, the tourist visa can be renewed twice for a 90 day period, after those you must leave the country. Exploiting a loophole in the system is illegal, and just as bad as entering a country and staying without the proper visa or permit. Maybe you should just think on how you would be treated in the US if caught doing the very same thing...I usually behave the same way I would at home when I am visiting others, it is basic education. Today the country and the system have tons of flaws, but nobody knows what is gonna happen tomorrow right?

"nikad" said:
According to Migration Laws, the tourist visa can be renewed twice for a 90 day period, after those you must leave the country. Exploiting a loophole in the system is illegal, and just as bad as entering a country and staying without the proper visa or permit. Maybe you should just think on how you would be treated in the US if caught doing the very same thing...I usually behave the same way I would at home when I am visiting others, it is basic education. Today the country and the system have tons of flaws, but nobody knows what is gonna happen tomorrow right?
I agree. I am glad somebody gets it. Many people living full-time in Argentina believe that they are "legal" by renewing their tourist visas indifinitely, they are not legal. There is no real difference between this and not bothering getting it refreshed and paying a fine.
I know what happens in the U.S. see my earlier post above. The reality is that in Argentina at least for now the government doesn't seem to care.

Nikad fully agree with you and the hypocrisy of those from other countries who critisize Argentina for dishonesty now are preaching expatriates here to live their lives dishonestly.
I know of no country in the world that you can just go and stay as long as you like and pay a fine on departure. It makes a mockery of the laws and shows disrepect for the country you are visiting . In USA its damn impossible for many Argentines to visit just as tourists and here they welcome tourism with open arms.
Its simple to go to Uruguay for now but anyone who is living here full time should get residency as it makes your life a damn sight easier

>>get residency as it makes your life a damn sight easier
how?
doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me - I have permanent residency from a parent.
the Colonia run keeps Buquebus in business - Port of Barcelona dumped them - I don't know if they run anywhere else but that trip for extensions is their bread and butter.
and all those extenders are keeping afloat the short term rental market and flooding the middle classes with undeclared cash - plenty of Audi's around and not everyone has 'lands' with soya.

Stan - I really don't understand why you are being so obtuse about this. There is a BIG difference between someone " renewing their tourist visas indifinitely.... and not bothering getting it refreshed and paying a fine."
If you leave the country for one day after your 90 days is up and/or go to Migraciones to renew it- you are complying with the law. If you don't - you are breaking it. Period. Non-arguable. Fact.
If the Argentine government wrote the law to say you can only stay 90 days & then you must leave for x amount of time - that would be the law. As it is, it does not say that so you can leave for 1 day, come back & be in compliance. You are not out of status & you can do this indefinitely if you want to (not sure why you would) as long as you don't attempt to have a job and play tourist for the time you are in country.
Again, seriously - do yo not see why I'm questioning you on telling someone "Go ahead, break the law, who cares?" It is at best irresponsible and stupid to knowingly break a country's laws.

This turned out to be a great topic.

However, i want to thank Stan. his answer is really the one i was looking for.

If i was looking for the morally/lawfuly correct answer i would have called up the embassy.

Thanks everyone - fun read.

"Fishface" said:
>>> the Colonia run keeps Buquebus in business Are you sure? Do you have numbers to support this statement? There are several hundred thousand Uruguayans in Argentina that travel to their country, as well as Argentines, do you really think it is the american and European expats that feed them? Come on!

>>>> and all those extenders are keeping afloat the short term rental market and flooding the middle classes with undeclared cash - plenty of Audi's around and not everyone has 'lands' with soya.

All these extenders who are in fact illegal immigrants, are basically helping the increase of short, mid and long term rental prices which affect both Argentines and Expats that are here legally and with their corresponding visas and papers, tell me please where the benefit is? Then you also have the extenders that buy a property or something and then whine becasue they are taxed more... Face it, tourist extenders and the increase in the demand for apartments and certain services is something that basically affect true expats here.

I have to agree with Stan and SF... Why are the rules so strict in the states and so lax here... $ People that go to the states illegally... go their for work...to send $ back to their families... People that come to Argentina... and over stay their visas... are bringing money into this economy..that would not be here...if they were not... hence 50pesos penalty.. lax about renewing "tourist" visa.. every 3 months...for years.To take the boat... is so absurdly expensive..not just for argies.. but even foreigners. A 45 minute boat trip for 100u$s... they are the thieves... stealing from the consevative, follow all the rules expats. That being said... if you plan on living here on a more permanent bases.. getting your DNI etc.... which will be a major headache.. could be even more of one.. if you have been "illegal" on several ocassions..

Back