A baexpats wiki, idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuilleGee

Registered
This is a post mostly to those expats who have been here for a while and have often commented on the repeating nature of posts on the forums.

I was thinking it would be a cool idea to create a wiki for BAExpats that can be edited by any user (let's say who is not a "newcomer") that would serve as a central repository for information regarding some of the ever repeating topics.

My thoughts are that users would first consult the wiki for any questions regarding residency/renting/transportation/etc they might have, and the boards would be freed up for more conversation & new topics, etc. I think this could really help to stimulate more interaction and real conversation on the boards instead of the never ending "Do I need this?" posts.

What is great about a Wiki is that once it is setup any member of the forum would be allowed to edit it, make corrections, include updates and notes. I know that a lot of the blogs do this, but I though it might be a cool idea, might also drive traffic to BAExpats.org, who knows?

What do you all think?

It is a terrific idea, but I think the administrator will have the final word on it. Probably the administrator has an idea of the time and cost of implementing the wiki.

Great idea in terms of solidifying the info oft asked for and oft repeated.

Problem is, put 10 baexpats in a room, and you get 25 different opinions, there would be multi-ammending and arguing all the time. We can be a pretty fractious group.

Get the ball rolling, perhaps ask for volunteers for different sections, I would not mind drafting one.

Cheers

I had been thinking for a while that an FAQ section would be good but a wiki would be even better. I don't see past arguments or discussions as an indicator of problems to come: the wiki will surely deal in facts, not opinions. And on some subjects there may be more than one correct answer. I say go for it: if it turns into a mess people won't bother with it; if it works it could save a lot of short temper (read: my short temper) over the endless asking of the same things, time after time.

I agree that there is a lot of place for improvements. Some of them can be done with the software that we have now: adding new forums, sticking the most informative threads on top etc. Links directory section also needs some work. I don't see any problem buying a wiki module that integrates with the forum. The main issue is time. If any of you, guys, can consistently dedicate a few hours every week for doing tedious things like organizing/categorizing/editing wiki (or FAQ) pages etc., please PM me and we'll figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back