A Comment About All The Negativity

The point is that Argentina has tremendous potential in natural resources, a highly educated population, and a modern (mostly) technology infrastructure. What is disappointing is that the Argentines keep electing people who squander that future. Am I wrong, or has Argentina's GDP ranking seen a continuous slide down since Sr. Peron?

Rawl, I spend half of my time in Argentina and half in CA. I couldn't disagree with your pst more. While prices are inching up in the States, it's nothing like what I'm seeing in Argentina. I notice extreme price differences this week compared to when I was last here 8 months ago.

I'm very happy to have not bought real estate here as those renting in dollars are losing their shirts now. Meanwhile my Silicon Valley home home appreciated 30% last year. Not everywhere in the States in hurting.

I also believe that epats who take the time to study the local economy can understand it well. We have perspective.

If I were looking for a low cost retirement home, Argentina would be low on my list. A good quality of life here is not cheap.

jb5 said:
Rawl, I spend half of my time in Argentina and half in CA. I couldn't disagree with your pst more. While prices are inching up in the States, it's nothing like what I'm seeing in Argentina. I notice extreme price differences this week compared to when I was last here 8 months ago.

I'm very happy to have not bought real estate here as those renting in dollars are losing their shirts now. Meanwhile my Silicon Valley home home appreciated 30% last year. Not everywhere in the States in hurting.

I also believe that epats who take the time to study the local economy can understand it well. We have perspective.

If I were looking for a low cost retirement home, Argentina would be low on my list. A good quality of life here is not cheap.
Who's "losing their shirts"? The renters or the landlords? I'm sorry but can you elaborate on that point?

"Meanwhile my Silicon Valley home home appreciated 30% last year. Not everywhere in the States in hurting."

You must be joking. I work in Real Estate in California and housing prices are still spiraling downward. 30% appreciation? PLEASE! Housing will continue to drop in the United States for several more years until employment returns to normal levels.

30%!!!!????

jb5 said:
If I were looking for a low cost retirement home, Argentina would be low on my list.

I like your post but for one thing you missed. Some BA retirement homes have real milongas for residents. Tandas, cortinas, the lot. We passed one once where they were dancing in a room as glorious as the best in Evita's museum. Near a hand-carved spiral staircase.

In a cheap NoAm home, one is quickly reduced to playing cards, pretending to like sing-alongs that aren't even up to the disco era yet, listening to laments about varicose veins and eating powdered puddings.

jb5 said:

You will only enjoy the "appreciation" in value of your home if you actually sell the property now...and then what will you do...buy something cheaper next door...or buy something far enough away to justify the commute to your job and still "enjoy" the profit from the sale?

Sockhopper said:
Not wanting to start a new life in a new country by dealing unlawfully in it and possibly with criminals, and wanting to know the rationale of a currency control law in Argentina (against foreigners obtaining the pesos they need) cannot render someone 'sour' and thereby in need of making himself 'happy' to cheat his new country's law and its purposes.

We hate it when foreigners come to our shores pissing on our laws for their personal or philosophical enrichment grounded in a sense of their innate superiority, and then deploying our citizens to help them do that.

The criminals here are the people in the government who are passing these kinds of laws to try and force people to hold on to their pesos and thus be slowly robbed of their savings through inflation.

When the average citizen buys dollars in the blue market they are protecting their savings against unjust government confiscation. How dare you call them criminals!?!?! It is legitimate civil disobedience against a seriously corrupt regime.

el_expatriado said:
they are protecting their savings against unjust government confiscation. How dare you call them criminals!?!?! It is legitimate civil disobedience against a seriously corrupt regime.

When immigrants to NoAm use your argument, we call it taxation evasion and prosecute.

Sockhopper said:
When immigrants to NoAm use your argument, we call it taxation evasion and prosecute.

"We" don't. The criminals that run the US of A do. Tax evasion is, by its very essence, an act of patriotism.

You must be joking. I work in Real Estate in California and housing prices are still spiraling downward. 30% appreciation? PLEASE! Housing will continue to drop in the United States for several more years until employment returns to normal levels.

30%!!!!????

Clearly you're not selling in the right towns. The most sought after Peninsula towns are back at peak prices and will some will go past peak with the huge IPOs that are happening. The point is that when tech recovers (and it largely has), the rest of the country will benefit:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...chwork-recovery-from-housing-crash?source=rss

I like your post but for one thing you missed. Some BA retirement homes have real milongas for residents. Tandas, cortinas, the lot. We passed one once where they were dancing in a room as glorious as the best in Evita's museum. Near a hand-carved spiral staircase.

I do agree that there are all sorts of reasons to love this place, just saying a cheap life isn't one of them.

You will only enjoy the "appreciation" in value of your home if you actually sell the property now...and then what will you do...buy something cheaper next door...or buy something far enough away to justify the commute to your job and still "enjoy" the profit from the sale?

I don't have a job or commute there these days, so I will be selling. Then what? I'll look for a bargain place to be an expat and complain about the prices and claim it's more expensive than the US!

Back